This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

In Desperate Need Of Some Positivity :/

zebaldwin

IrishHeart Veteran

Why hold off on the Threelac? Most of us on here have used probiotics (many of us still do) and they are certainly not going to do you any harm. :)

Well, I defer to your judgement on this, then, 'shroom!. I am not familiar with this product, really.

I use probiotics, too as my testing showed a lack of good bacteria.

It's just that on another thread, someone was talking to Zack about the Threelac as being problematic. Zack has misgivings about it. I thought maybe giving the diet a chance first might help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
zebaldwin Explorer

Ya...someone in the other thread was saying some very serious things about it...so that got me concerned. But like mushroom said, I guess everything gives you cancer :)

mushroom Proficient

Well, I defer to your judgement on this, then, 'shroom!. I am not familiar with this product, really.

Have no superior knowledge, wisdom or judgment on this issue - just have never heard of anyone having any problems with any probiotic :unsure:

zebaldwin Explorer

Supposedly it has something others don't...ugh, really wish I didn't buy that. Do you just get "regular" probiotics at a health store? I might just try the threelac for a couple weeks...

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Supposedly it has something others don't...ugh, really wish I didn't buy that. Do you just get "regular" probiotics at a health store? I might just try the threelac for a couple weeks...

I don't know anything about the Threelac but if for some reason you have concerns about it if it is unopened you could take it back to the store and ask for a refund or to exchange it for other probiotics and other products. Most will be happy to do so.

IrishHeart Veteran

Have no superior knowledge, wisdom or judgment on this issue - just have never heard of anyone having any problems with any probiotic :unsure:

No, nor have I.

EXCEPT one gal on here said she had an issue with this threelac because of one of the ingredients. And there is a debate about this product (which is 50-50 pro/con) on the internet. I read about it myself before deciding which probiotic to go with. I settled on Genestra brand then switched to Custom Probiotics. Again, I did this upon the advice of an MD and ND because I had digestive stool tests done that showed a deficiency of good bacteria in my gut.

Everyone's system is different. I have to take small doses of probiotics, otherwise, I blow up in my abdomen.

If you can tolerate yogurt and/or fermented cabbage, they work well too!

zebaldwin Explorer

Don't mean to continue my rambling in this thread...

But does anyone have some quick tips for the more "natural" diet? I plan on cooking up a bunch of meat/vegetables tonight or tomorrow and they putting some in the fridge for the rest of the week. But what else can I eat/should I eat? SO far I'm advised away from sugar and dairy (?)...Can I salt the meat? seasonings? eggs? fish? Etc?

Im not trying to go through all my same questions again, just a quick idea.

Also, I would appreciate anymore help with the probiotic issue (I would start a new thread, but I already feel like I have too many...)

Thanks so much guys. If I ever get through this, and actually see results, I'm throwing a party and you're all invited ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

People with more experience with anti-candida diets may help you more, but here's my 2 cents....

I eat a lot of brown rice (the Success boil-in-bag 10 mins. work fine), baked potatoes, baked sweet potatoes, all vegs, all fruits, all meats, fish, shrimp. I season with sea salt and all herbs I like. (McCormick brand is gluten-free) I use fresh when they are available. It's cold, dead winter here, so that's just not happenin' :huh:

I use Ghee and olive oil. They are Good fats and I need some EFAs now---and supplements do not agree with me right now. I USE DIGESTIVE ENZYMES, too.

I eat CERTIFIED gluten-free oatmeal occasionally and I use Karma rice milk. (It is my one "packaged" thing I will not give up. I know, I shouldn't, :unsure: but I made my own and it spoils too fast.)

You could stir fry the meat and vegs for dinner and then, for lunch the next day, toss leftovers with rice.

Get that plain natural peanut butter I told you about and spread on apple slices and celery sticks. Nuts are good to have on hand, too.

If you're stressing about yeast in your system, take coconut oil or caprylic acid tabs.

I cannot digest beans yet, :angry: but the GOYA brand black beans or red beans (gluten-free) can be tossed with the rice, a little cumin and cilantro or whatever you like.

I hard boil a few eggs for protein snacks. I really think some of my "spacey head" and muscle weakness and loss was lack of protein. I buy cooked shrimp and eat them by the dozen! I was using my own cocktail sauce, but ketchup has the dreaded high fructose corn syrup and a few other things not considered "natural" :lol: ...so, now, it's just a squeeze of lemon.

I use the probiotics I listed in my post above. I think they are very good. They are gluten-free/SF/dairy-free, Corn free, etc. Keep them in the fridge.

Seriously, Zack....you gotta try to relax. :) One of the worst things for low adrenals and leaky guts is stress. The spacey head thing takes a few weeks to dissipate.

I hope this helps. Over an out!! :P Party invitation sounds good to me. :D

zebaldwin Explorer

Thanks so much again Irish...your responses are SO helpful and very fast!

Like you said, I know I just have to relax. I think I am trying too much too fast (the sight of a posible end has gotten me crazy!)

I'm not going to go overboard with the diet, but do the best as I can. I have been eating "gluten free" (on the package) whit rice. It is pre-packaged. Do you think that is OK? ALso, what about gluten-free pasta? (does it fit into the more natural category?)

What exactly is the coconut oil for? Does it work with or instead of a probiotic?

Also, where do you buy your probiotics? I think I am just going to return the threelac to amazon for now.

I just want to do this right, but I know I need to just take it easy! (I apologize to everyone for that)

Id say my brain fog is my scariest symptom...so seeing so many people get away from that through no gluten, candida, etc...its got me very exited!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Ps. another random question, what is the difference between sublingual and regular b12?

Sublingual B12 bypasses the damaged gut and goes right into your bloodstream through the mucous membranes in your mouth. B12 in a swallowed vitamin will just pass through you unabsorbed.

If you want to go with white rice rather than brown that should be fine and you could give wild rice a try. I like a mix of both white and wild that I cook in my rice cooker and I put some frozen veggies and rinsed canned beans in the steamer. Frozen shrimp tossed in the steamer a couple minutes before everything is done is nice to. If your just feeding yourself a bag will last for 4 or 5 meals.

zebaldwin Explorer

Can you get sublingual at like any pharmacy or walmart?

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Can you get sublingual at like any pharmacy or walmart?

Yea you should be able to find them in any place that has a good selection of vitamins.

IrishHeart Veteran

Coconut oil is expensive. It is considered a natural anti-fungal. (you seem to be worried about yeast, that is why I mentioned it.) Some people use it in conjunction with probiotics. Others use caprylic acid tabs (which is IN coconut) for this same purpose. There are a number of things you can use that are more natural anti-fungals, like Pau D'arco tea and good old garlic!!

I bought Custom Probiotics from their website. I got the Genestra brand from Rockwell Nutritionals. I don't know if I can say those company names on here or if they will be edited out. If they do for some reason, PM me and I'll tell you again. :D

I got the sublingual B-12 (you want the methyl B-12 (methocobalamin) 1000mg. I use NOW brand. Works well and it is not expensive. I think most pharmacies carry it. I would take it in the morning instead of at bedtime. If you are deficient in it,you will see it start to work in a few weeks and your energy level will go up.

Again, you have all you need to be okay. Just take it easy and let your healing begin. Try to be patient. I know it's not easy. I really do! I wish I could make it go faster for myself too...but there's no magic wand. The body has to start healing and regroup. Good luck!!

IrishHeart Veteran

.......and in answer to your question, I use Tinkyada Brand Rice pasta. It is delicious. I toss it with Ghee and steamed broccoli. (I can't tolerate pasta sauce yet, but if you can, make your own and go for it.)

Cook it for 13 minutes. No more, no less. Trust me--I had plenty of gummy and/or rock hard batches of this stuff . My cousin was the one who timed it out perfectly and shared it with me...I pass this "family secret" on to you :D LOL LOL

Okay, kiddo...that's all the "wisdom" I've got for today... hahahahaha :P

zebaldwin Explorer

Haha thanks!

Well, I bought regular 1billion acidophilus. (is that good?)

For b12, I got it from walmart. It's "sublingual dots" 500mcg...there's nothing about methocobalamin...and I couldnt find anything with it.

Hopefully this is a good start! (made an awesome meal with just meat veggies and garlic salt, in my dorm!)

Thanks for the continuing help

IrishHeart Veteran

Haha thanks!

Well, I bought regular 1billion acidophilus. (is that good?)

For b12, I got it from walmart. It's "sublingual dots" 500mcg...there's nothing about methocobalamin...and I couldnt find anything with it.

Hopefully this is a good start! (made an awesome meal with just meat veggies and garlic salt, in my dorm!)

Thanks for the continuing help

Te Methyl form is just one form of B-12.

Sounds good! Be sure to drink a LOT of water!! Dehydration is often an issue with feeling spacey too.

zebaldwin Explorer

How important is it to not eat dairy at this stage/diet? I feel like having cheese would make this a lot easier. But if it is smarter not to eat it, I obviously won't. It's just so hard, because I can't just eat something, get an upset stomach, and know I can't eat it. That doesn't happen with anything. So who knows whats causing all my symptoms down the line...is there any other way to tell if I have a problem with dairy?

Im just realizing how hard and expensive it is going to be to just eat meat and vegetables for a month...

ravenwoodglass Mentor

How important is it to not eat dairy at this stage/diet? I feel like having cheese would make this a lot easier. But if it is smarter not to eat it, I obviously won't. It's just so hard, because I can't just eat something, get an upset stomach, and know I can't eat it. That doesn't happen with anything. So who knows whats causing all my symptoms down the line...is there any other way to tell if I have a problem with dairy?

Im just realizing how hard and expensive it is going to be to just eat meat and vegetables for a month...

You could try keeping it in your diet and see how it goes. Since you don't get an upset stomach from it you may be fine. You could try having a lactose breath test but IMHO since you aren't having any gas or stomach issues when you eat dairy it is doubtful, again in my opinion, that you have a problem with lactose. Some of us do have an issue with milk protein, casien, so if you don't see any relief from your issues after a month or two on the diet you could try dropping dairy and see if that helps. Or you could drop it for a month or so and then eat dairy 3 times a day for a couple weeks and see if you notice any symptoms that had resolved or gotten better getting worse.

zebaldwin Explorer

That sounds good :) thank you (gotta decide what I should do now)

Should I also not drink alcohol? I dont really drink, but I kind of want to get a bottle of wine..

ravenwoodglass Mentor

That sounds good :) thank you (gotta decide what I should do now)

Should I also not drink alcohol? I dont really drink, but I kind of want to get a bottle of wine..

I would think a glass of wine might be okay just don't overdo it. Make sure you don't get wine coolers though as those are malt liquor and are not safe for us. I make a 'wine cooler' by putting a little bit of wine in a glass and adding soda.

zebaldwin Explorer

Thanks ravenwood, wine seems to be fine :) (felt better drinking it haha)

It was weird, yesterday I ate a hardboiled egg and immediately after I got the weird migraine/headaches that I get. Not sure if it a coincidence...but could eggs possibly be a problem?

Also wanted to check, I have been eating natural, gluten free potato chips (ingredients: potatoes, cottonseed or sunflower oil, sea salt)utz brand or kettle cooked...are they OK to eat with the more "plain diet"...I just needed something...I'm always starving! haha

Thanks for all the continuing help.

IrishHeart Veteran

Thanks ravenwood, wine seems to be fine :) (felt better drinking it haha)

It was weird, yesterday I ate a hardboiled egg and immediately after I got the weird migraine/headaches that I get. Not sure if it a coincidence...but could eggs possibly be a problem?

Also wanted to check, I have been eating natural, gluten free potato chips (ingredients: potatoes, cottonseed or sunflower oil, sea salt)utz brand or kettle cooked...are they OK to eat with the more "plain diet"...I just needed something...I'm always starving! haha

Thanks for all the continuing help.

I sneak potato chips too. I can't help it. My diet is so rigid,I feel like busting out once and a while!! :)

As for the egg...did you always get a headache after eating eggs? If so, then it is not "new" and maybe you should avoid them for now?

Wine will provoke migraines. Did you drink the wine before the headache came on??

Just trying to help you sort it out.

I abstain from drinking (not because I want to, believe me--I love me a good martini :P !!) but because a leaky gut will heal faster without it. JMHO

Have you read about leaky gut syndrome/delayed food intolerances? If not, you might want to read up a bit. It will make things a little clearer.

It's a bit like a treasure hunt, isn't it? Figuring out what the heck is making you feel bad is difficult. I think of eating sometimes as "russian roulette" :unsure: I am STILL sorting it out. Last year, I did an elimination diet for 9 months and couldn't quite pinpoint the gluten--although I was pretty sure and insisted to my doctor that's what it was...he did not agree and he was WRONG, as it turned out..ARRRGH!! :angry:

I keep a food diary and I STILL am not sure when I have a funky day what caused it!! Geesh you would think it would be easy EXCEPT ...delayed food intolerances don't show up right away. Could be a day or two...that's why this is so maddening.

A lot of these other food issues may clear right up once the gut has healed from avoidance of gluten. It is a time thing...unfortunately.

Hang in there.

zebaldwin Explorer

Ya...it is kind of crazy! And I do think that I have delayed reactions... (I will look more into it)

I'm not sure if the headaches have come on every time after I ate an egg...it's possible. I'll have to try again. Wine has not really been provoking headaches...yet.

I don't know...it's just so hard. But I do like your russian roulette analogy! I just wish for me it was as easy as that (because I would know immediately if there was "a bullet in the chamber") We'll see...I just don't know ANYTHING, and I feel bad bugging everyone in my life and on this forum...

blahhh.

thank you!

IrishHeart Veteran

Ya...it is kind of crazy! And I do think that I have delayed reactions... (I will look more into it)

I'm not sure if the headaches have come on every time after I ate an egg...it's possible. I'll have to try again. Wine has not really been provoking headaches...yet.

I don't know...it's just so hard. But I do like your russian roulette analogy! I just wish for me it was as easy as that (because I would know immediately if there was "a bullet in the chamber") We'll see...I just don't know ANYTHING, and I feel bad bugging everyone in my life and on this forum...

blahhh.

thank you!

You are not bugging us! How do you think I learned so much? I researched for a year--guess where I kept ending up? right here :D ... and once I joined, I asked a bunch of questions! I still ask them. There is no manual or handbook on this---(although I think I may write one when I can keep my brain functioning at top speed again)...it's trial and error and help from ones with the same problem.

My russian roulette analogy is flawed. :) I only meant it in terms of the risk factor--I react almost immediately to gluten --I feel like I've been drugged--but slowly to other things...so I am a "delayed" as well....sigh...it does suck sometimes.

Just keep eating as cleanly as possible and keep a notebook of what provokes a reaction---even little ones. Make a note of the egg/headache. Keep at it.

Get out and air your head once and a while. Take a walk. Hot showers. It's going to get easier. And when your spacey head starts to clear, and you feel less tired, you'll be the one giving advice to the new guy!

and....Eat your veggies..!! :D

cahill Collaborator

You are not bugging us! How do you think I learned so much? I researched for a year--guess where I kept ending up? right here :D ... and once I joined, I asked a bunch of questions! I still ask them. There is no manual or handbook on this---(although I think I may write one when I can keep my brain functioning at top speed again)...it's trial and error and help from ones with the same problem. :D

Let me know when that handbook comes out IrishHeart, I want to be in line for a copy :D

@Zebaldwin,,, as IrishHeart said you are not bugging anyone,,, we all learn when others ask questions :)

Archived