LeslieN

Cookware - Do I Need To Dispose Of Some Things?

Rate this topic

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. My 4yo was just recently diagnosed with celiacs disease. Well, kind of. She is "just barely" above the markers for normal. Her biopsy showed "mild symptoms consistent with celiac's disease". Our doctor told us that we could wait 6 months and have her blood tested again to confirm and use this time to learn.

I'm wondering about kitchen items and what I will need to get rid of or replace.

I've heard stoneware, cutting boards and toaster. Are there other things? Does anyone know if a grain mill can be cleaned and used?

I appreciate any help. I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post on, but hope so.

Blessings

Leslie

You need to dispose of any used teflon, any scratched or pitted pots & pans, any porous surface things that were used with wheat . Rubber or plastic cooking utensils. Toaster or purchase toasta bags.

Bread maker, hand mixer, griddle , cutting board, plastic strainer, food mill. plastic food storage that has used in a micro with wheat products heated up in. Most get a rough inside that can hold wheat junk.

Gluten also can be found in toothpaste &a lot of HBA type things....

Hidden gluten in things like soy sauce.

Gluten can be added into egg dishes at restaurants. Some places add pancake flour to eggs to make them fluffier. Potatoesat restaurants also may contain gluten.

Some people have special pots & pans, toaster & so on for gluten-free only cooking esp.if they will still be cooking gluten things as well.

hth

mamaw

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. My 4yo was just recently diagnosed with celiacs disease. Well, kind of. She is "just barely" above the markers for normal. Her biopsy showed "mild symptoms consistent with celiac's disease". Our doctor told us that we could wait 6 months and have her blood tested again to confirm and use this time to learn.

I'm wondering about kitchen items and what I will need to get rid of or replace.

I've heard stoneware, cutting boards and toaster. Are there other things? Does anyone know if a grain mill can be cleaned and used?

I appreciate any help. I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post on, but hope so.

Blessings

Leslie

Welcome Leslie:

I would have a special shelf in your pantry for your 4 year old. Snacks, Cereal and treat that are specific to your 4 year old.

I have a shelf in our toaster oven that is only mine, where I toast my bread and waffles. But a $10.00 toaster is easily purchased. Cleaning cook ware well should not be a concern, as long as they are not all scratched - in that case, gluten free or not, they should be replaced.

I don't think your grain mill would be an option.

As this may be considered genetic, as parents would consider testing as well, if there have been issues.;)

Hi Leslie. Welcome to the forum.

My 4yo was just recently diagnosed with celiacs disease. Well, kind of. She is "just barely" above the markers for normal. Her biopsy showed "mild symptoms consistent with celiac's disease". Our doctor told us that we could wait 6 months and have her blood tested again to confirm and use this time to learn.

:blink:

And any wooden spoons and cutting boards.

I want to know why would your Dr. wants to wait six months for her to be gluten-free? She has celiac confirmed by blood and biopsy. The damage will continue to happen while she is still eating gluten. I would start her tomorrow with gluten-free. There are many here with celiac or gluten intolerant children and we all can help you with snack and meal ideas.

Wooden spoons, and anything else made of wood, may retain gluten since they are porous.

It is almost impossible to completely clean a toaster of crumbs. They are not expensive. Buy a new one, and use it exclusively for gluten-free stuff.

Non-stick cookware was once a concern. The original Teflon pans of 40 years ago would scratch if you looked at them while holding a metal utensil. Today's non-stick products are much less likely to become scratched, and if they are in good condition I would wash them and then not worry.

I didn't buy any new cookware when I was diagnosed in September 2010 (per my Dr) and I just had all my levels tested 3 weeks ago and they are now in the normal range (except for IGG, but it is close to being in the normal range).

I would buy a new toaster though, I didn't becuse I don't eat toast or bagels or anything, but if I did I definitely would have.

Also, if you cooked a lot of pasta in a certain pot, I would probably get a new one for just gluten-free pasta because I have heard the film left from pasta can stick even after washing.

I do have a separate cupboard for my stuff in the house also.

Good Luck!

Thank you all for your responses! I do appreciate them. I have to admit that the list is a bit overwhelming!

Hi Leslie. Welcome to the forum.

My 4yo was just recently diagnosed with celiacs disease. Well, kind of. She is "just barely" above the markers for normal. Her biopsy showed "mild symptoms consistent with celiac's disease". Our doctor told us that we could wait 6 months and have her blood tested again to confirm and use this time to learn.

:blink:

And any wooden spoons and cutting boards.

I want to know why would your Dr. wants to wait six months for her to be gluten-free? She has celiac confirmed by blood and biopsy. The damage will continue to happen while she is still eating gluten. I would start her tomorrow with gluten-free. There are many here with celiac or gluten intolerant children and we all can help you with snack and meal ideas.

He wanted to wait because he thought it was possible that the test was wrong. One part of the test (sorry, don't remember what it was called) was a 5. He said that normal was a 4. He just wanted to be sure before we went gluten-free. She doesn't have any symptoms. It was caught in a routine blood test that she has done yearly. (She has Down syndrome and it was one of the battery of tests done.)

As an aside, one of my other children has Type 1 diabetes, but does not show symptoms of celiac's disease though he is tested for it yearly. Another child has been dx with ADHD. I honestly believe that a gluten-free diet may be of benefit to all of us. I'm planning to have all of us tested.

As an aside, is there a way to receive notices via email of responses to a post? Thanks!