Shashi

Biopsy Today

Rate this topic

I had an upper endoscopy and biopsy today to check for Celiac, along with a sigmoidoscopy to check for any other causes of my recent GI problems. My doctor talked to me afterwards and said that he doesn't think it's Celiac, but he'd let me know when the biopsy results come back. He also said that he thinks I have IBS.

While I hope it's NOT Celiac, I WAS hoping for answers to the neurological problems I've had for five years and thought maybe I had found the reason, as Celiac seemed to fit both the neurological and the GI problems. If it's not, I'm back to square one again.

Would my doctor be able to tell just from the scope procedure that it's not Celiac?

You could be gluten sensitive & not have celiac, damage to your intestinal villi. Many of us have been dx'd with IBS before a celiac dx's or gluten sensitive ... One usually needs at least three biopsies to get a good check. Also have you had bloodwork done yet? Any genetic testing?

Being celiac or gluten sensitive has the same outcome,,,, follow a gluten-free diet to restore health.

They can't tell for sure, just by looking. Sometimes if it's really bad & they have the best viewing equipment, I have heard they can see the damage. Usually, you wait for the biopsy to tell you as the damage is tiny & hard to see. Tiny doesn't mean it's not bad. It's a surface damage. The pieces that are damaged are hard to see with our magnification.

I had the blood test back in December, but my IgA was deficient, so they couldn't tell if it was Celiac from the test. I guess I'll wait and see what the biopsy says. Thanks. :)

My Dr told me right after the endo that I had celiac and he showed me the pictures of the scalloping. Mine was pretty bad though.