This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Frustration Has Led To New Paranoia And Strictness...

healinginprogress

healinginprogress Enthusiast

Well, I've been gluten-free for just over two weeks with very little sign of improvement, if any. In fact, at times things have been worse, though I know some of that can be chalked up to withdrawal.

My most recent bout of bloated, crampy, gassy gluten-ness, however, has really upset me. I've been resisting certain changes...like getting a new toaster oven and pots and pans, and going dairy-free as well. But I am SOOOO sick of feeling like this, and need to figure out what is causing it!!! I like to cook sort of fancy and I've also been enjoying some of the gluten-free treats from the bakery, so regardless of keeping a food diary, it's been pretty much impossible to pinpoint the glutening culprit.

But tonight, all of a sudden, I went hyper-celiac. I started feeling like everything I touch has gluten in it!! That part has calmed down a bit, but my "paranoia" is definitely in high gear...but this is probably a GOOD thing! I packed up all my gluten-free breads and put them in the freezer, to be enjoyed only when I can afford to get a new toaster oven. I cleaned out the microwave. I vowed to give up dairy (at least for now) and to eat simple things so that I can more easily tell what is making me sick. I also vowed to be more careful about kissing my boyfriend, and handling the dog food and dog licking. Until I can buy new pots and pans, I will only eat what I can cook in the microwave or in the oven with some tin foil on a baking sheet/pan.

**QUESTION, THOUGH: Do I have to get NEW pots and pans, or can I clean one or two of the ones I already have really well and dedicate them to gluten-free only???

Problem is, I'm sort of feeling like a freak....like a germ-phobe almost, you know? Okay, not that germ-phobes are freaks, that's not what I mean...I've dealt with mental health my whole life, I think I'm just too worried about other people perceiving me as a paranoid freak. But I guess I should stop worrying about what other people MIGHT think, and just worry about getting well.

It really is just a whole new world...and not my favorite, to say the least :P Wish me luck...elimination diet it is.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I cleaned my pots and pans-they are stainless steel. Are your pots and pans stainless or non-stick?

I also kept my toaster oven and just cleaned it real good and the rack the bread sits on is washable so that should be OK. My house went gluten free so the toaster oven is not used for gluten anymore and it hasn't made anyone sick yet, that I know of.

I think some people who live with gluten eaters wash the rack or put foil on it and they have been fine.

I guess I'm trying to save you from buying a new toaster oven. But if that is what you need to do, by all means do it.

I think for sure the dog and your partner could be glutening you. If you took care of those two things you will probably feel better.

Also, your secondary intolerances might be showing up so you are right to think about elimination diet. Soy was the biggest one for me. Nightshades, corn, you probably know them.

Good luck, I know it isn't easy. It isn't what I wanted to do, but I sure feel better for doing it.

I'm glad you went Hyper-Celiac today. You probably needed to.

I have my days too!

LOL thank you, you're right, I probably needed it! And thank you for trying to save me from buying a new toaster oven...I've had this one for ages and cook so many things in it. My SO hasn't gone gluten-free, so I guess that's where my concern was. I cleaned it out, but could probably do a better job, and I was rinsing the rack every time before I used it, in case he'd used it in between.

So crumbs that happen to fall on the bottom of the oven (not the rack) won't gluten me??

And I have non-stick pans, nothing fancy/expensive, so pretty much all of them are scratched. I just read that they can harbor gluten if they're scratched...and so can wooden spoons and plastic cookware. yayyyyyyyyyyy (sarcasm LOL)

I'm really hoping I don't have many secondary intolerances...and if dairy is one of them, I hope it is temporary! Soy and corn would be sucky ones, too.

BUT best to find out. Feeling better will be soooooooooooo nice, I can hardly even imagine it, to be honest. Thank you so much for the advice, and for the encouragement :)

GFinDC Veteran

Just get one nice stainless steel pan with a lid, and you can do most anything in it. Non-stick pans are not good for you anyway, the coating flakes off and gets in your food and is not healthy. Or go to a thrift store or hardware store and get a nice cast iron pan. Just clean it real well and dedicate it to gluten-free forever.

A simple diet is easier to understand and interpret the effects on you. You can always add things but do it slowly one item at a time and not more frequently than every 3 days to a week.

Roda Rising Star

Off the subject but in another topic you mentioned you had several prescription medications that had gluten in them. Did you ever replace them with gluten free ones?

Off the subject but in another topic you mentioned you had several prescription medications that had gluten in them. Did you ever replace them with gluten free ones?

I went to my pharmacy yesterday and they were pretty useless, but then I went to a more celiac-aware pharmacy and he investigated all my meds. He said none of them have gluten YAYYYYYY! But three of them do have lactose. I have my hydrogen breath test on wednesday, and I'm starting dairy free (aside from the meds) today, so we'll see whether I need to change them or if the lactose won't be a problem.

Woke up with a headache and feeling nauseous, though...not a pleasant start.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived