This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Sports Drinks

lgranott

lgranott Rookie

I am a runner/cyclist and used sports drinks like cytomax (electolyte replacement drinks and recovery drinks) up until I realized that I couldn't have gluten... Right now the only drinks I know of that don't contain gluten are gatorade and vitamin water. I am wondering if there are any other drinks/powders out there.

I read some older threads and some people mentioned that GU2O is gluten-free, but the first ingredient is maltodextrin... I thought that wasn't gluten-free (unless from corn). It would be great it is gluten-free, but I am afraid to try.

Any thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Maltodextrin in the U.S is safe unless it says on the label otherwise.

However, it is a different story with medications...in meds, maltodextrin can be questionable... but as far as foods and drinks go that is the policy :D

So it depends where you live...in other countries you do have to check and see if it contains gluten. I am sure that someone on here can tell you if that is gluten free or not

lgranott Rookie

Thanks Kaiti! You seem to have answers to so much :) I just started reading the "forbiden" list and am learning so much... wow! there seems to be something new everyday. Who knew.

If it is made in the US I don't even have to call? I can just assume that it is gluten-free??? That would be awesome!!

K, off for a run :D

Liatt

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yes, for food and drinks in the US the maltodextrin is gluten free unless otherwise stated on the label :D

Glad the info helped you out a bit. :D

celiac3270 Collaborator

Yep.

Oh, I don't know about the powdery stuff, but Gatorade, Powerade, Propel are gluten-free--all flavors.

Carriefaith Enthusiast
So it depends where you live...in other countries you do have to check and see if it contains gluten.
Yes, the gluten-free rules on maltodextrin can change for each country. In Canada, you have to call the company or check another valid source to see if it is safe.
lgranott Rookie

Thanks! Who knew...

I also read that Maltitol was safe... So why has everyone told me that it isn't?

This board is soooo helpful, I'm soooo glad I foudn it.

Liatt

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient
Thanks! Who knew...

I also read that Maltitol was safe... So why has everyone told me that it isn't?

This board is soooo helpful, I'm soooo glad I foudn it.

Liatt

Maltitol cuases diahrea, and other instinal issues in many, if not most ppl. Foods that have it in it are often labled "May have a laxitive effect". So yea, you prbly want to aviod it... esply if you happen to have a damaged gutt from celiac disease. :)

lgranott Rookie

:0 thanks, I definately don't need any laxatives...

Liatt

TeachK71 Rookie

Hi!

I just emailed Gu Sports to see if their supplement packets of energy gel are gluten free and they replied that all of their Gu supplement packets and G2O eletrolyte replacement drink are gluten free. You can find more information at www.gusports.com.

Here is the copy of the email I received:

Hello Kim,

Thank you for your interest in GU Energy Gel! I am happy to inform you that all of our flavors of GU and our electrolyte replacement drink GU2O are gluten free. We have sent our product to an outside lab, which specialized in gluten detection, and came back negative for gluten. The maltodextrin in GU and GU2O is derived from corn. It is safe for those who suffer from Celiac Disease or who are gluten-intolerant, to take our product.

Hope this helps,

Your Friends at GU!

Hope this helps!

Kim

• 3 weeks later...
scotia Newbie

Hi Liatt: I drink POWERADE.

Here in Canada, it's sold in LONDON DRUGS, and it's usually $1.69 a bottle...they have it on sale from time to time, for 99 cents, so I use grab it when it's on sale.

It quenches your thirst good style.

I happen to like it better than the fizzy drinks, or GATORADE.

Maybe you could e mail them and ask where to buy it.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Scotia.

• 1 month later...
PreOptMegs Explorer

so then the powder version of gatorade that you make yourself is gluten-free as well?

• 3 weeks later...
aaascr Apprentice

Guru energy sports drink info:

Hello Alicia,

We would like to thank you on behalf of GURU Energy Drink for taking the time to write to us about our product.

To answer your question, there is no gluten or any ingredients that would normally contain gluten in the GURU formula. You can actually see for yourself if you read the list of ingredients you’ll find on every GURU can. You should also visit our website at www.guruenergy.com if you wish to learn more about GURU and its ingredients.

As far as quality control is concerned, all our suppliers have confirmed with us that every ingredient we purchase from them is gluten-free. These suppliers follow strict manufacturing practices that are in place to prevent, among other incidents, contact with allergenic ingredients anywhere on their production sites. In fact, of all the suppliers who work with GURU, only one actually also processes ingredients containing gluten. Hence, it is theoretically possible, yet minutely probable, that gluten might have come in contact with other GURU ingredients. However, it would certainly be an isolated case and hardly traceable.

We are always here to answer any question you might have about our product. Please write us again anytime.

Hoping to hear from you soon, we thank you for choosing GURU Energy Drink.

Warm regards,

Customer Service

GURU ENERGY DRINK

tel.: (514) 845-4878

fax: (514) 845-9848

www.guruenergy.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have celiac disease and cannot ingest any gluten.

Can you tell me if your energy drink is gluten free

and if it is processed in a gluten free facility?

Thanks so much for your help!

Alicia

• 2 months later...
velo-mike Rookie

I emailed the company (Pacific Health Laboratories) and they confirmed that Endurox R4 as well as Accelerade are both gluten free.

Mike

• 4 years later...
tilly1818 Newbie

I am a runner/cyclist and used sports drinks like cytomax (electolyte replacement drinks and recovery drinks) up until I realized that I couldn't have gluten... Right now the only drinks I know of that don't contain gluten are gatorade and vitamin water. I am wondering if there are any other drinks/powders out there.

I read some older threads and some people mentioned that GU2O is gluten-free, but the first ingredient is maltodextrin... I thought that wasn't gluten-free (unless from corn). It would be great it is gluten-free, but I am afraid to try.

Any thoughts?

Yes--- the Ultima Replenisher is a great Gluten Free Sports drink. Go to their site for Retailters. They also have lots of different flavors.

Archived