aeraen

Can Of Tomato Soup

Rate this topic

In a recent post, I complained about not being able to just open a can of Campbells tomato soup. I mean, we all grew up on this stuff, it's like the ultimate comfort food... not to mention the base that launched a thousand casseroles.

Because every recipe I looked up for home made tomato soup started w/ fresh or canned tomatoes, and I wanted CONVENIENCE, I created a simple tomato soup for a soup and salad family dinner. Of course, it was not nearly as convenient as opening a can of Campbell. But it tasted nearly the same. So, I brainstormed and came up w/ a simple plan ahead that works. Here goes:

Cut up an onion and saute in just a bit of olive oil (I poured a drizzle of olive oil in my pan and spread it around w/ a balled up paper towel). Once it is cooked but not browned, put it in a food processor or blender w/ a 8 oz can of tomato sauce, a half tsp of basil and a little black pepper. Whirl until smooth.

Now, pour into ice cube trays, filling each cup about halfway full. Freeze, then pop into a baggie.

When you want a bowl of soup for yourself, pour the contents of an 8oz can of tomato sauce into a saucepan, plop one of the onion/tomato sauce ice cubes into it and heat it up. (I don't see why this couldn't be done in a microwave, either, I just haven't tried that yet.)

Once heated, pour 3/4 cup of milk into it. Warm it up again and, voila! tomato soup just like mom used to make, and (with a little planning ahead) just as convenient.

You're so clever! Thanks for sharing this recipe! I grow tons of tomatoes every summer and miss eating tomato soup (I loved both Campbell's and Marie Callender's Tomato Bisque).

I'll be trying your recipe very soon--thanks so much!

Please, please do not take any offense but I've always hated Campbell's Soups; actually, all purchased soups. :angry: But then I LOVE to cook and create recipes. :P

One of my most favourite ways to make tomato soup (and other veg) is to oven roast the veg first - excellent for roast potato soup, roast pepper, and so on. The veg caramelize, adding tons of flavour. Just throw some fresh herbs in with the roasting veg, season and whiz in blender. Meanwhile, crisp up some shallots or caramelize some onions to sprinkle to the top. Or even pepitas (roasted pumpkin seeds) for a bit of crunch.

Imagine and Pacific both make gluten-free tomato soups. One does contain dairy though. Sorry, I can't remember which one. I always have to read the labels.

I used to love Campbells Tomato soup. I recently had a craving for the Old Fashioned Tomato Rice soup that is no longer around, and being gluten and dairy free I made my own. I can't do onions either so this is what I came up with.

I started with homemade chicken broth - maybe a couple of cups or so, but a can or two of Swanson chicken broth would work great. I added an 8 oz. can of tomato sauce and some cooked rice. Add more tomato sauce for a thicker soup. I adjusted the seasonings and was very pleased with the results. I even took some of my Udi bread heels and cubed them and drizzled over a bit of dairy free margarine and cooked them in the microwave with some seasonings until they became crispy.

Very yummo!

Homemade soup is really good. Amy's and Heinz also make gluten free cream of tomato soups. Both have dairy though.

My DD loves the Pacific tomato soup. I have to buy several containers of it every time I am at Sprouts.