ATLMommy

Slightly Positive For Celiac?

Rate this topic

Hi! I am new to this board, but have already found it very interesting and helpful. I have a 6 year old son who has had mild (but constant) health issues since he was little. He's a normal 6 year old, but still has some delays/allergy shiners/etc... He's been on a limited dairy diet since he was 3 due to constant ear infections. I had him re-tested for allergies last week, and the doctor (a new GI) suggested including the celiac blood panel.

Results -- Food allergies all negative. Celiac panel slightly positive. IGA was 217. (nurse said upper limit of normal is 195) and TTG was +9 which I guess is still in the normal range, but close to being above normal.

I don't have the other numbers as I had a short conversation with the nurse and needed to run to pick up my child at school. I will call the doctor tomorrow to find out more info.

If you have any insight to these numbers or questions I need to ask the doctor, please let me know.

Thanks for your help!

ATLMommy

Welcome to the forum ATLMommy.

Make sure you get copies of all tests because some Dr.s do not know how to read them properly or skim over them so fast they can miss something.

Well, you can't be slightly positive for celiac. It is like saying you are 'kind of pregnant'.

Hopefully they ran all these tests

Anti-gliadin antibodies (AGA) both IgA and IgG

Anti-endomysial antibodies (EMA) - IgA

Anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies (tTG) - IgA and IgG

Total IgA level

Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) Antibodies, IgA & IgG (This is a newer test that seems to be good.)

DixieBell,

Thanks so much for the info. I have made a follow-up appointment with the GI to discuss the results. Via email he said that my son did not have celiac. Blood levels too low, but IGA test (not sure which one) was above normal limits. I'm a little confused...