This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Feel So Stupid. Please Help Me...

Guest spruette

Guest spruette

This is by far the worst gluten attack I have ever had. I am so dumb too. I totally was careless, and didn't think.

This weekend while working around the house, my husband was eating some canned kipper fish. I, stupidly without even thinking (old mind set in) and I said, "Give me a bite." I was working in the kitchen and wasn't even aware of what I did until today. I took a bite of the fish smothered in some sauce, and didn't think anything of it.

Yesterday my body weight jumped five pounds. I feel so sore and bloated like crazy. My stomach muscles actually hurt from the bloating. My legs are literally touching each other and I just feel terrible. Today I gained 4 more pounds. I am filling up with water. It is just awful. I have had incidents similar before I knew I was Celiac, but this is just awful.

I hear that when someone is gluten free for a loooooooong time, when they get glutened it is REALLLLLLY bad. Worse than ever. Could this be happening to me? My body is just so sore. Yesterday, I literally felt drugged. I have been taking Centrum A-Zinc and it's been great. Until this act of stupidity. It wasn't even like I accidentally did it, I just didn't even think about it. Ugh, I am so mad at myself.

Anyhoo, what can I expect? Am I going to just keep gaining more and more water weight?? This is really terrible. Please tell me what can help with all this water weight and what can I do to clean this out of me sooner. This is the worse one yet. Mainly because I feel so dumb for doing it so blindly. Not even with a second's thought. I need help on this one. so please, please please reply! Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Hi Spruette:

Yes, it is true that the longer you are gluten free, the worse your gluten accidents get. I hope the worst is over for you and each day now will get a bit better.....

By the way, I absolutely LOVE your avatar!! THAT IS SOOOO COOL!!!!!

Karen

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Well some people get worse reactions and more sensitive the longer they are gluten free. I know that's what happened to me. I didn't notice it at first but now I get reactions bad with the slightest amount.

Feel better soon...we all make gluten mistakes...we just have to learn from them

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Yes, my gluten reactions are definatley worse than they were before. For me, the reactions are bad for the first week or so, and then it takes about another week to feel better again. So, 2 weeks... I think that is the norm. The best thing to do is to try and get lots of rest and let your body heal. Try and eat things that aren't hard on your stomach like rice, and bananas. You may want to ask your doctor about the water weight if it continues to be a problem, you may have a kidney problem...

Yesterday, I literally felt drugged.
I feel the same way when I have gluten.
Guest gfinnebraska

I swell up 10 lbs. as well when being glutened. It is a total drag, but it does go away. In a few days (week) you will start to feel the swelling leave. You should "pass" a lot of the gas, etc. that is making you bloat as well. Hang in there... It isn't fun, but it will pass. You might try staying away from carbs and dairy while you are trying to heal. Try just eating fruit, veggies and protein. I know that helps me. Drink plenty of water and wait it out.

We all make stupid mistakes, so don't beat yourself over the head about it. When I was first going gluten-free, I would eat something without thinking and run to the sink to spit it out! Ha! We've all been there, done that!!! :)

I hope you feel better soon. Take care...

lovegrov Collaborator

What you're having certainly cpuld be a gluten reaction, but I wanted to point out that while some people start having terrible reactions, some people's reactions don't change and others even have milder reactions. As with all else in celiac, it depends on the person.

richard

Guest spruette

Wow, you all are awesome!

Today I am dizzy - a common thing I have with celiac, believe it or not. And I have been to the potty like 15 times, not just number 2 - mostly number 1. TMI, I know. But the water is leaving. I am down six pounds already. However, I feel TERRIBLE! My body is sooooo shaky and I am cold/hot and weak. I can't believe I did this. I guess this is my just reward, huh? LOL! Sorry, at a point of delerium with my sense of humor.

gfinnebraska, thank you! thank you! thank you! I was just freaking myself out. I kept picturing myself looking like verusa bulk from willy wonka you know when she gets all round? Oh, I was so scared. It helps sooooo much to know that someone else out there understands. I mean you have absolutely NO idea how much your post lifted me up!! Not that I am happy you suffer this way too. however, it's always less lonely feeling when someone has been there.

You all are terrific. Really. Here my post has only been up like 12 hours, 8 of those being sleeping hours, and you are all responding so helpfully. Thank you soooo much! You are the best for helping me through this GA!

(((HUGS)))) to my fellow Celiacs!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest spruette

Oh, almost forgot. Sorry, Karen, I am a bit foggy minded right now.

Thank you for the compliment on my avatar. It was fun to make. Putting that big ol' bust sign through the wheat field felt liberating! ROFL!!

Take care! And Thank you!

Archived