Rate this topic

Does anyone take Betaine HCL or other digestive enzymes to aid in absorbtion? Any success?

I have read a lot of good things about it. I am 2 months gluten-free and dairy free and I take probiotics and good vitamins also.

Does anyone take Betaine HCL or other digestive enzymes to aid in absorbtion? Any success?

I have read a lot of good things about it. I am 2 months gluten-free and dairy free and I take probiotics and good vitamins also.

Yes. I was prescribed betaine HCl capsules after I was diagnosed with hypochloridia (low stomach acid production). My diagnosis was based on my reaction to the Heidelberg capsule test for stomach acid production. That test showed that I very slowly produced only a little acid after bicarb challenges (which mimics normal digestion with food). However, before I could use HCl capsules I had to heal my stomach from H. Pylori damage. If you have any ulcers, H. Pylori damage or very thin stomach lining (which the Heidelberg test will show), you will not easily tolerate HCl capsules.

I now take 2-4 Solaray betaine HCl caps (650mg HCl and 150 mg pepsin)before each meal. People who weigh more and/or eat more (I weigh 105# at 5' 3.5") may need to take more HCl to improve digestion. How much I take depends on the size of the meal and/or how much protein and fat I consume at the meal.

HCl biochemically triggers the gall bladder to release bile which digests fats. If you have enough HCl, you may not need any other enzymes. Before I started HCl I tried all kinds of enzyme combinations. However, nothing improved my digestion more than HCl with pepsin capsules. I used to have bloating, gas and reflux after almost every meal. I have none of those symptoms now.

I have had great success with Betaine. I take it as needed when I'm having trouble with asthma. It very quickly soothes the queasy stomach symptoms that I get and also shortens the recovery time from the asthma. I find that I can't take it for than a few days though because it raises my acidity too high. But otherwise it's wonderful.

I have had great success with Betaine. I take it as needed when I'm having trouble with asthma. It very quickly soothes the queasy stomach symptoms that I get and also shortens the recovery time from the asthma. I find that I can't take it for than a few days though because it raises my acidity too high. But otherwise it's wonderful.

Thank you both! I decided to go ahead and order some. I read something VERY interesting about the need for digestive ensymes. Supposedly, if you take a good B complex supplement and your urine turns bright (neon) yellow, then you are not breaking down the supplement enugh and need help (ie taking enzymes). They say if you take the diestive enzymes, your urine should no longer be neon after taking your B supplement.

I don't know how accurate/not accurate that is, but I have been taking a B complex vitamin for years and my urine has been neon after I take it for YEARS.

Interesting!

Thank you both! I decided to go ahead and order some. I read something VERY interesting about the need for digestive ensymes. Supposedly, if you take a good B complex supplement and your urine turns bright (neon) yellow, then you are not breaking down the supplement enugh and need help (ie taking enzymes). They say if you take the diestive enzymes, your urine should no longer be neon after taking your B supplement.

I don't know how accurate/not accurate that is, but I have been taking a B complex vitamin for years and my urine has been neon after I take it for YEARS.

Interesting!

Vitamin B complex will most definitely turn urine that neon yellow color and that's what it's supposed to do. If you receive B complex via an IV, the same thing will happen. I take digestive enzymes, which work really well for me, yet my urine is still neon after taking the B vitamins. I don't think the lack of enzyme theory is accurate.

Do you know if you have low stomach acid? If you don't, it might not be wise to take Betaine HCL, which is primarily used to increase stomach acid for digestion, in those who are lacking. Can you be tested? Digestive enzymes are different and supplement what your pancreas does not make enough of.

Those are the ones most Celiacs are referring to and it's very common for us to have pancreatic insufficiency.