Kelleybean

Casein Free Products

Rate this topic

Hi -

We are transitioning my 2 year old to a casein free diet, and I was wondering if anyone could suggest some alternatives for us.

1) A Gluten-free Casein-free yogurt - we got the Ricera and he hated it. Anything else?

2) Is there a decent boxed mac and cheese type thing? Right now we use Annie's gluten-free mac and cheese which obviously won't work now b/c of the casein. It doesn't even have to taste especially like mac and cheese - I think it's the texture of the noodles as well as the salty flavor that he is more attached to than the cheese.

3) A substitute for sour cream for recipes?

4) A way to make a good frosting without butter? His birthday is coming up and I want to bake him cupcakes.

We have discovered Amy's rice pasta with rice cheese which he actually likes, and he also likes the Tofutti cream cheese so that helps. He is SO picky, which makes this process tough.

Thanks!

1. Coconut yogurt (So Delicious )

2. Any sort of rice type elbow macaroni pasta you boil yourself, rinse well, then sprinkle with extra salt. The spice tumeric adds a lovely yellow shade. It will just need a cheese substitute sauce you can use one of the cheeses like Daiya for, with some white sauce base (take cooking oil, heat it, and add some gluten free flour to it to make a roux, salt and pepper, and then add whatever liquid works, then add cheese product.)

Or something like this http://www.daiyafoods.com/recipes_new/recipepage.aspx?id=21

3. Commercially made vegan gluten free sour cream products, or this homemade one made out of soaked cashews, salt, vinegar, and the juice of a lemon, which is then whirled in a food processor http://www.godairyfree.org/Recipes/Cream-and-Butter-Subs/Cashew-Sour-Cream-Vegan-Gluten-Free-Soy-Free.html

4. For frosting, you can use the Tofutti cream cheese and/or coconut oil or Spectrum (palm) shortening, with flavorings such as chocolate or vanilla

There is one whip cream that is casein and gluten free. You can use it instead of icing. I found it between the Jewish food.

It is Rich's Richwhip, Non-Dairy Topping. It tastes almost like the real thing.

http://www.rich.com/product_info.cfm?catid=6159

When you are shopping, look for the word "Parve" which should be right in the front of the label towards the side. Parve means there is no dairy in the product. No lactose, and no casein. It is a designation used in Jewish/Kosher foods to indicate the absence of dairy. It can be the whole word written out or just a letter P in a circle, or sometimes just the letter P.

Almost everything I buy is parve which means I am not eating diary.

The So Delicious yogurt is very good. The chocolate is absolutely decadent. I take a little and dip fresh strawberries in. Smart Balance margarine (the Light one) is parve.

It takes a little practice, but when you shop you will begin to notice the Parve symbols.

Hi -

We are transitioning my 2 year old to a casein free diet, and I was wondering if anyone could suggest some alternatives for us.

1) A Gluten-free Casein-free yogurt - we got the Ricera and he hated it. Anything else?

2) Is there a decent boxed mac and cheese type thing? Right now we use Annie's gluten-free mac and cheese which obviously won't work now b/c of the casein. It doesn't even have to taste especially like mac and cheese - I think it's the texture of the noodles as well as the salty flavor that he is more attached to than the cheese.

4) A way to make a good frosting without butter? His birthday is coming up and I want to bake him cupcakes.

We have discovered Amy's rice pasta with rice cheese which he actually likes, and he also likes the Tofutti cream cheese so that helps. He is SO picky, which makes this process tough.

Thanks!

1) So Delicious is pretty good (Coconut based). Their ice creams are to die for! Especially the cookie dough, which is gluten-free I believe.

2) No clue - we just use pasta and "butter." Best Life Buttery Spread is super cheap and gluten-free/CF too.

3) Depending on what you're making, you could just use plain coconut yogurt.

4) Shortening should work for frosting. I wonder if Best Life would work too...

Hi -

Thanks!

For the sour cream I saw that Tofutti makes a sour cream...its called Sour Supreme.

For the sour cream I saw that Tofutti makes a sour cream...its called Sour Supreme.

Great! We love their cream cheese.