This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Diarrhea And Bad Stomach Pain?

maelenebaby

maelenebaby Newbie

Ive been gluten free for a month now and nothing has improved, I still have diarrhea and bad stomach cramps. It feels like my intestines are really inflamed. Please tell me is this normal? Did anyone else suffer from cramps and d? What can I do to soothe my stomach? I am open to all suggestions this is killing me...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFreeMO Proficient

It sounds like you may be getting sick from cross contamination. Try eating whole and unprocessed foods for a few weeks and avoid the restaurants. What you are feeling is normal. I usually take Tylenol or advil and drink a lot of peppermint tea with sugar. You could also take some Pepto.

You may need to cut out dairy for a little while too.

I hope you feel better soon!

maelenebaby Newbie

It sounds like you may be getting sick from cross contamination. Try eating whole and unprocessed foods for a few weeks and avoid the restaurants. What you are feeling is normal. I usually take Tylenol or advil and drink a lot of peppermint tea with sugar. You could also take some Pepto.

You may need to cut out dairy for a little while too.

I hope you feel better soon!

hi there thank you for your reply, I only eat rice and meat, or beans and meat. I pretty much cut everything out and I dont go out to eat anymore. I cut out all dairy,soy, and corn too! whats worse is I have hypoglycemia so I have to eat more often than others. How much longer before you think the pain will subside? Does pepto help the runs? I will try the peppermint tea that sounds good just something to take the pain away...

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Mine took a couple of months off and on to completely clear up.

I kept thinking I was getting cross contaminated so I went to just meats, veg and fruit, and nuts. Still I think it just takes time for the intestines to heal for some people.

maelenebaby Newbie

Mine took a couple of months off and on to completely clear up.

I kept thinking I was getting cross contaminated so I went to just meats, veg and fruit, and nuts. Still I think it just takes time for the intestines to heal for some people.

yes im trying to be patient i realize its still too soon but whats funny is it seems to be getting worse than better,I mean I never had the stomach pain until after I started the diet. And whats weird is I only have to go to the bathroom early in the morning like 3 times and the pain will start after I go, and Im in pain for 2 hours and then it goes away. I just hope theres nothing else going on. Did you lose weight after going gluten free?

GFreeMO Proficient

hi there thank you for your reply, I only eat rice and meat, or beans and meat. I pretty much cut everything out and I dont go out to eat anymore. I cut out all dairy,soy, and corn too! whats worse is I have hypoglycemia so I have to eat more often than others. How much longer before you think the pain will subside? Does pepto help the runs? I will try the peppermint tea that sounds good just something to take the pain away...

Pepto does help the runs and helps soothe the stomach. The pain may last a while but at least you are healing now. The peppermint tea really helps a lot.

JenniLu Newbie

Make sure it's not something more sinister, like stomach cancer.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Also, you might want to look up lectins.

Some people can't eat beans because of them.

Meat, vegetables, low fructose fruits, nuts.

Then if that doesn't help you might have to cut low fructose fruits.

I can't eat any more than 1/4 to 1/2 cup once in a while.

Have you looked at nightshade? Eggs? Sounds like another food intolerance if patience and vigilance don't work.

• 2 weeks later...
catarific Contributor

When you have inflammation, you might find that you have sensitivities to many more foods than you thought possible. But once the inflammation starts to heal, you will find that you can start reintroducing some of the foods back. You might want to look into a good, strong, probiotic as a supplement as well as gluten free vitamins (because of the lack of eating those foods that are bothering you).

I have had a flare up or food poisoning in September 2010 and afterward, I could hardly eat any foods at all. I had fructose intolerance as well and intolerance to nightshade vegetables and a bad reaction to any fruit, vegetables (whether raw or cooked), rice, red meat, dairy products, oil, margarine, butter, chocolate (gluten free), soy, corn, gluten free rice cereal, gluten free cake, and more. Now, finally, I can eat fresh fruit and vegetables, gluten free french fries, gluten free cake and chocolate :), fried gluten free fish, gluten free cereal, vegetables. I have not yet tried reintroducing red meat or dairy yet. But what really made the difference is the probiotics and believe it or not, ampicillin. I had a sinus infection and was put on ampicillin - once I started taking that and in conjunction with my probiotic, within 5 days I could see a difference :).

I am going in two weeks to have a colonoscopy and endoscopy nonetheless to see what is going on. Who knows - maybe I have colitis or crohns and it is responding to the antibiotic. All I know is that after 6 months of diarrhea and food intolerances - the healing began after taking ampicillin with probiotics.

IrishHeart Veteran

My first two months were awful. Still had the stomach pains, diarrhea, burning heartburn, burning throat, nausea....then, it started to lighten up.

Now, I have more time when I am not in discomfort than the times when I still feel yucky.

Healing takes time.

Digesting meat fat (and beans) is difficult. I had a hard time with beans and raw veggies. OUCH!

Have you tried digestive enzymes and probiotics? they really helped me!

Just some thoughts. I know it is difficult. Hang in there. It does get better.

txplowgirl Enthusiast

mayelenebaby, First off, sounds like withdrawalls along with cross contamination. Just my opinion. when you went gluten free did you replace your pans, wooden spoons, collander, toaster? Do you live with other gluten eaters? Cross contamination from them. Significant other has to brush their teeth before kissing. Have you checked all your meds and supplements? Do you have house pets? They may be possibly glutening you. Henceforth taking them gluten free. Soaps, lotions, shampoos. etc.

Just some ideas, plus Immodium may help with the D. L-Glutamine from the health food store helps soothe the tummy. It helps for some of us but not all.

I hope you get to feeling better.

maelenebaby Newbie

Thank you all for taking the time to reply it makes me feel better with a lot of support. I have good news..my stomach pain has went away ever since I started taking metumucil. It helps with my stools too! I'm much happier now. I noticed I have an extreme appetite now and craving for cheese..anyone else have this?

sa1937 Community Regular

Thank you all for taking the time to reply it makes me feel better with a lot of support. I have good news..my stomach pain has went away ever since I started taking metumucil. It helps with my stools too! I'm much happier now. I noticed I have an extreme appetite now and craving for cheese..anyone else have this?

Glad to hear you're feeling better. Yes to the cheese craving! No problem eliminating gluten but the cheese, wow! I've just started to have a bit more of it at almost a year gluten-free.

IrishHeart Veteran

Looks like you just needed more fiber to bulk up your stools and to get things rolling more smoothly. I forgot to mention that I used psyllium for a while too. Sorry I failed to tell you that one, too--but it seems you have figured it out! Good!

Cheese? oh, yes!! I miss cheese more than I miss gluten...sigh...ah well, maybe someday down the road.

Hang in there!! ;)

Archived