Rate this topic

I thought I was being very strict with my diet but somehow I got glutened. For the life of me I could not figure out what it could have been. Everything was fresh except the rice milk. But I checked Rice Dream's website and it says that both the rice and soy milks are gluten free. However, some posts on this website suggest not using Rice Dream. What am I missing here?

They use barley during the filtering process and for some it causes problems.

• Upvote 1

What do you mean by that?? "They use barley during the filtering process" How can they say that is gluten free if they use barley to make the milk. I have a whole case of it in my pantry from Costco and I find this out? OMG. I don't ever think I am going to be free of this disease. So essentially I have been glutened all of this time and from a food that touts itself as "gluten free"??

I believe it is only the super sensitives that react to it, but I wouldn't risk it myself. I prefer almond or hemp milk :unsure: It is supposedly processed out to be way under the limit where most celiacs would react to it - in other words, it's legal although it says gluten free.:(

I was pretty mad too when I found out been drinking it for weeks but still having issues , and thought I was being really careful.

I drink coconut milk now mainly, sometimes almond milk but it is expensive here in england.

There are other brands of rice milk that say on gluten free

I think Pacific brand makes a rice milk and if you have a Wegmans near you their store brand rice milk is also.

I did not realize how sensitive I was ,,silly me :lol: and tried Rice Dream. I reacted, OH boy did I reacted , as I would to gluten.

What do you mean by that?? "They use barley during the filtering process" How can they say that is gluten free if they use barley to make the milk. I have a whole case of it in my pantry from Costco and I find this out? OMG. I don't ever think I am going to be free of this disease. So essentially I have been glutened all of this time and from a food that touts itself as "gluten free"??

I'm in the same boat. I'm going to give the stuff away. Apparently gluten free does not necessarily mean gluten free.

I'm really angry about the fact that they will label their stuff gluten-free when they know darn well it contains gluten -- even if it is only "trace" amounts.

I won't buy anything at all made from that company because I don't trust their labeling practices.

It's sad, because the only non-dairy "milk chocolate" I can find is put out by the makers of Rice Dream. My son is not that sensitive and he could probably eat it with no problems even if it does contain trace amounts of barley, but I don't even like to support the company.

When they issue an apology and change their labeling so that items which don't contain barley are not marked as gluten-free, THEN I will buy things from them.

I got zapped really good by the Rice Dream when I first started the gluten free diet. Now, before I try a new product that I'm not sure about I call the company and do a search on these forums to see if anyone has any problems with it. It really does make you mad when companies claim something is gluten free, but there's gluten in the product. :ph34r:

Just my 2 cents...I am not that sensitive and I reacted to Rice Dream. It was mild, but still a gluten type reaction. I vote Almond milk if your not allergic. :D