This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Looking For Gluten-Free Food Stores In Durham Area! (Ontario, Ca)

escanlon

escanlon Newbie

Is anyone here from the Durham Region area, or even Scarborough?? I see most people are from the States and the UK, but I'm hoping SOMEONE can give me a lead on a Gluten-Free food store around here! I picked up some organic Millet in the gluten-free section in the Great Canadian Superstore the other day, but low and behold, it said right on it "Processed in a plant that contains Wheat". :( I was quite disappointed! They had other Gluten-Free cereals there, but mostly they were for children or didn't look too appetizing or trustworthy.

There are Gluten-Free sections in some supermarkets, but there isn't that great a selection, and you still don't know (some packages don't always have a manufacture contact number, so I stay away from them). I've been looking for some other store that sells Gluten-Free products, but even Google has failed me on that.

If anyone could give me any sort of idea, it would be appreciated! I know of one gluten-free bakery in Whitby that I go to all the time, Cup of Tea Bakery & Cafe. It's excellent, but only has breads & cookies, pastries, etc. I'd like to find a store that carries a variety of products. I'm even willing to drive out to Toronto! I just hope there's something around here so I don't have to stick to the big chain stores.

Thanks in advance! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hockeymomofceliacchild Rookie

Is anyone here from the Durham Region area, or even Scarborough?? I see most people are from the States and the UK, but I'm hoping SOMEONE can give me a lead on a Gluten-Free food store around here! I picked up some organic Millet in the gluten-free section in the Great Canadian Superstore the other day, but low and behold, it said right on it "Processed in a plant that contains Wheat". :( I was quite disappointed! They had other Gluten-Free cereals there, but mostly they were for children or didn't look too appetizing or trustworthy.

There are Gluten-Free sections in some supermarkets, but there isn't that great a selection, and you still don't know (some packages don't always have a manufacture contact number, so I stay away from them). I've been looking for some other store that sells Gluten-Free products, but even Google has failed me on that.

If anyone could give me any sort of idea, it would be appreciated! I know of one gluten-free bakery in Whitby that I go to all the time, Cup of Tea Bakery & Cafe. It's excellent, but only has breads & cookies, pastries, etc. I'd like to find a store that carries a variety of products. I'm even willing to drive out to Toronto! I just hope there's something around here so I don't have to stick to the big chain stores.

Thanks in advance! :)

Hi :) I'm in Elmvale just north of Barrie and fairly new to gluten free shopping too. Most of the grocery stores have a small selection, as you said Walmart, super store but if you go to Stayner to Jacs, 7280 Main st. Jenny is really good at getting what you are looking for. Different flours, cereals, bagels, perogies, etc...(www.jacshealthfoods.com) I have also been told that Nicholyn Farms (not sure if I spelt that right) has a lot, I'm going to check that one out soon. It is on Horseshoe valley road before the 400 cutoff.

Another friend of mine says she gets bread and pies etc at Gramma Lambs in Meaford. I've only been there for apples in the fall and wasn't looking for gluten free so I didnt notice. If you want breads etc apparently they are very popular and they suggest you call ahead.

I was also told that a Whole Foods is opening up in Toronto sometime and when I was on their website their gluten free section was quite extensive. If I hear more I'll let you know.

If I hear of any others I will let you know. If you hear of others please let me know too :)

psawyer Proficient

I picked up some organic Millet in the gluten-free section in the Great Canadian Superstore the other day, but low and behold, it said right on it "Processed in a plant that contains Wheat".

I suppose then that your home does not contain any wheat products at all. Many of us have to share our homes with people who bring wheat products home, and eat them.

Seriously, for most of us, processed in a plant that also contains wheat is not an issue. First eliminate all products that contain gluten as an intentional ingredient. If after some time you are not improving, then consider cross contamination or other food intolerances.

Loblaw stores have a good selection of specialty gluten-free products, but the selection varies widely by location. If you have one nearby, Longo's have a number of gluten-free specialty products as well.

Many mainstream products are, in fact, gluten-free even though they are not so labeled. Kraft, General Mills, Unilever and other companies have a policy to always clearly disclose any gluten source on the label.

RunRin Newbie

Hey Durham! I'm from Port Elgin, believe it or not! I found Independent Grocer in Port Elgin to stock quite a bit but would often go to Owen Sound for cheaper selections. Bulk Barn carries quite a bit of stuff to cook and bake with and rice pastas too (typically at good prices), if I'm not mistaken there was some stuff at No Frills and of course Walmart. I bet you Zehrs would have quite a bit too.

I've found it really beneficial to try to go all natural: veggies, rice, potatoes, fruits, meat. Then you don't have to pay like $7 or $8 for a crappy loaf of frozen gluten-free bread! :)

Don't be afraid to ask either: for help finding the stuff or to get gluten-free stuff into your local grocer - there are a lot of people who eat gluten free nowadays!

Anyways, hope this helps.

Archived