GFreeMO

Betty Crocker Ideas And Tricks To Mixes

Rate this topic

I have been adding 1/4 cup of water to both the gluten free Betty Crocker chocolate chip cookies and brownie mixes and have gotten a much lighter and moist product. Does anyone else add or do anything differently with the mixes?

I made a batch of Betty Crocker gluten free chocolate chip cookies this morning and I just made ice cream sandwiches out of them and wrapped each one. I put them in a container in the freezer along with my brownies and banana bread (from the yellow cake mix) It's so nice to have this product to rely on! Thank You Betty Crocker people!!!!!

I have been adding 1/4 cup of water to both the gluten free Betty Crocker chocolate chip cookies and brownie mixes and have gotten a much lighter and moist product. Does anyone else add or do anything differently with the mixes?

I do not buy them anymore because the taste is yes, too dry. Hadn't thought about adding water. The Whole Foods 365 is the best cake mix I've tried for chocolate cake. I, too, salute BC for putting out the cake mixes even though I don't particularly like the taste.

I add 2 oz of softened cream cheese to the yellow cake mix. I made it for my youngest son's 6th birthday party like this and it was all gone the next day. It was so good and moist. My gluten eating husband ate most of it. :P

I use buttermilk for pancake mixes, scones, cornbreads, vanilla cakes. Being a celiac there is always yogurt in the fridge, and i find it makes brownies and pancakes fluffier. And if ever a recipe calls for water i use almond milk or regular milk. Sometimes i play with eggs, too. The devil's food calls for 3 eggs! Yuck...i cut down to two because i couldn't stand the smell of eggs coming from my cake.

I don't do mixes but I think that coconut milk would be nice. Either that or make a lemon simple syrup and poke holes all over the top of the cake and drizzle over. Same goes with any simple syrup or even a caramel. Adding some sort of citrus zest would be another idea. Another thing I just thought of is cutting into circles (just using a glass) and making strawberry shortcakes or any fruit for that matter.

Perhaps use pineapple juice for the liquid and make yourself pineapple upside down cake. Same with apple juice and apples.

If you like to play around with the mixes, I suggest The Cake Mix Doctor Bakes Gluten Free by Anne Byrn. There is some great stuff in there, and once you know the tricks (adding pudding mix and I think extra liquids, you can experiment and invent your own.