Jump to content
  • Sign Up
0
donovanheath

Are Grains That Are Processed In A Facility That Handles Wheat Gluten Free?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

I've been wondering this for a while now. I buy a lot of gluten free grains in bulk but there is a label that says it is manufactured in a facility that handles wheat. Could this contaminate the grains I am consuming?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is one of the great questions of our world, and there is not a consensus on the answer.

My own view:

There is always a risk of cross-contamination in any product. It can occur at the final production facility, or at any other step along the way. A dedicated gluten-free facility can receive ingredients from another facility which are already contaminated when they arrive. A worker (or visitor) to the "gluten-free" facility could bring contamination into the facility on their person.

Personally, I don't worry about shared facilities. You must make up your own mind.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty certain that this answer is a moving target....but I read in a newsletter from the Gluten Intolerance Group of North America that studies have shown that if there is a warning on a product that it has been manufactured on equipment that also processes wheat, there is a 70% chance of contamination, and that if there is a warning on a product that it has been manufactured in a facility that processes wheat, there is a 30% chance of contamination.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty certain that this answer is a moving target....but I read in a newsletter from the Gluten Intolerance Group of North America that studies have shown that if there is a warning on a product that it has been manufactured on equipment that also processes wheat, there is a 70% chance of contamination, and that if there is a warning on a product that it has been manufactured in a facility that processes wheat, there is a 30% chance of contamination.

very informative. thanks for that, i'll keep that with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These statistics sound suspicious to me. What research is that based on? Look closely at any statistics that are not supported by research. Ninety percent of statistics (including this) are made up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sort my whole grains and find grains that don't belong whether it is from a gluten free facility or not. I am sensitive enough that this tiny bit of contamination glutens me. Some aren't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, grains that are processed in a facility that processes wheat are NOT gluten free. Sorry to bear the bad news :(

Have a great day, and best of luck finding grains that are NOT processed in any gluten present facility ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0

×