GF=Good Food

Glutened At Rainforest Cafe?

Rate this topic

I visited a Rainforest Cafe and explained my gluten-free requirement to the server and the manager. They were pleasant and proactive about menu selections. I chose fish tacos on corn tortillas with "Caribbean Rice and Beans."

Two hours later I became disoriented while driving on the freeway with my two kids in the car. I became aphasic and couldn't answer my son's questions. Street signs were confusing though the route was familiar. I used my nav and got to a friend who took my kids home and called an ambulance. She had no idea what was going on because I couldn't speak. The ER ruled out TIA, stroke and MS and diagnosed a migraine aura. I'd had migraines for 20+ years before going gluten-free, but not since...and I'd never had an aura. Terrifying!

I was wondering if the Caribbean Rice and Beans might contain gluten, so I tried to follow up with Rainforest Cafe and got no response to my contact-form submission. I called Landry's Restaurants' customer-service department and the rep said they have no information on ingredients. She advised me to call the chef at the location, which seems ridiculous given that they served me something that's likely pre-packaged and served franchise-wide.

Has anyone had a problem at Rainforest Cafe? I hate to blacklist them without the pertinent information! They may be completely innocent!

I've only eaten there twice, but I've never ordered that item. I haven't ever had a problem with either steaks or chicken when I have gone there, though.

It could have been the Black Beans. I have eating there and used the gluten-free free menu and was told that I gould not have the Black Beans.

It could have been the Black Beans. I have eating there and used the gluten-free free menu and was told that I gould not have the Black Beans.

Apparently, the Caribbean rice and beans comes pre-mixed and has gluten. I was there yesterday and that was one of the menu items the wait staff specifically pointed out to me as being off-limits, as rice tends to be one of those things assumed to be OK.