This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Recipe For Salad Dressing

ECUmom3

ECUmom3 Explorer

Help! Diagnosed 1 month ago with Celiac. I have found, through trial and error, that I am not tolerating dairy and soy. I have also found that I am not tolerating vinegars very well, at the moment. Does anyone have a recipe for a tasty sald dressing that does not contain any of these. Thanks so much!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Can you have eggs? You could make your own mayo with eggs and oil (canola or LIGHT Olive oil) and then add different spices to it. I have not tried it but someone posted a while back they do this and add dill to make their own ranch dressing.

ECUmom3 Explorer

Can you have eggs? You could make your own mayo with eggs and oil (canola or LIGHT Olive oil) and then add different spices to it. I have not tried it but someone posted a while back they do this and add dill to make their own ranch dressing.

Yes, I can have eggs. Thanks.

Also in the past I have just drizzled olive oil and then squeezed a fresh lemon over the salad. I find this works if you have a salad with a lot of things that taste okay without dressing. It doesn't really do much if your salad is all lettuce.

Here's one of my favorite salad recipes that uses just oil and lemon for flavor: Open Original Shared Link

So if you can't have dressing, you may want to focus more on what else you can put in the salad to make it tasty. Some things I like--craisins, raisins, almonds, cashews, toasted walnuts, apples, pears, manadrin orange slices, avodaco. I usually choose a nut and fruit to add to the veggies.

love2travel Mentor

You always need an acid in vinaigrettes so if you cannot have vinegars try orange, lemon, lime or grapefruit juice (and zest) with your neutral oil. You can also use some apple cider. You'll also need an emulsifying agent such as dijon mustard. Some finely minced shallots are also lovely in vinaigrettes. Add a touch of honey, agave or maple syrup or sugar. Some fresh herbs, S&P and voila - done! :)

Can you tolerate buttermilk powder? If so, you can use it to make many creamy dressings

Yes, I can have eggs. Thanks.

Here's a recipe for Hommade Mayo that doesn't use any vinegar: Open Original Shared Link

I want to try this myself so I started to search and then realized some mayo recipes have vinegar added. I have read that if you use olive oil it MUST be the LIGHT kind, not virgin or extra virgin or regular. Regular (or virgin) Olive oil tends to taste racid after it is emulsified to make mayo. You could also use canola oil.

ECUmom3 Explorer

You always need an acid in vinaigrettes so if you cannot have vinegars try orange, lemon, lime or grapefruit juice (and zest) with your neutral oil. You can also use some apple cider. You'll also need an emulsifying agent such as dijon mustard. Some finely minced shallots are also lovely in vinaigrettes. Add a touch of honey, agave or maple syrup or sugar. Some fresh herbs, S&P and voila - done! :)

Can you tolerate buttermilk powder? If so, you can use it to make many creamy dressings

Thank (all of) you so much. Needless to say, I'm not a natural born cook! I have to have a recipe for just about anything!

I'm not sure about the buttermilk powder. Haven't tried it. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Thank (all of) you so much. Needless to say, I'm not a natural born cook! I have to have a recipe for just about anything!

I'm not sure about the buttermilk powder. Haven't tried it. Thanks!

You might also test out powdered goats milk--some people can tolerate goats milk but not cow's milk. It tastes very similar to buttermilk. Before I became allergic and had to cut out all dairy I could tolerate goats milk products better than cow's milk. It works well for anything calling for buttermilk or sour milk. You wouldn't want to drink it straight or use it on your cereal but for bakign it's great if you can tolerate it.

AngieH Newbie

I do have a salad recipe that doesn't have soy, dairy or vinegar that might work for you. It's called Heirloom Tomato and Avocado Salad. It's very simple and basic. Hope you like it!

Open Original Shared Link

Angie. :D

Takala Enthusiast

Coconut milk or Vance's Dari Free (powder), two non dairy substitutes for dairy milk. Yogurt can be used (there are non dairy yogurts, too.)

But just putting e.v. olive oil in a cruet, and sprinkling that in salads, then adding a squeeze of juice should work, then sprinkling with salt. (try pure apple cider vinegar, it may agree with you better than the other kinds). Sometimes I add a tiny sprinkler of artificial sweetener.

You can, in a bowl, mix in some gluten free ketchup or mustard or mayonnaise, and spices or herbs - Spectrum is now selling a gluten free soy free mayo.

SUZIN Newbie

This is the recipe I use..... gluten-free Mayo... 1/2 C water, 1/2 C oil. (olive is what I use)... 1 Tab lemon juice, 1 Tab Vinegar (it calls for vinegar but I think you could sub this with lemon juice).... 1/4 tsp. mustard powder (or sub some wet mustard, probaby more than 1/4 tsp)....1/2 tsp sugar... 1/2 tsp salt... 1 tsp sweet rice flour... 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum....this is the basic recipe..blend all ingredients well in a blender, to make it smooth.. you can add some spices to your taste...for a ranch type dressing I use 1/2 tsp garlic pdr...1/2 tsp onion powder...1 tsp parsley flakes ...a couple shakes of black pepper... 1/2 tsp dry dill and a dash of cayenne pepper ....put all ingredients in a blender and whiz till it is mixed well and smooth....what I do is put the ingredients in a pint jar then put on my blender blades ...I have a hamilton beach blender that the blades screw on a regular mason jar....so I blend it all in the pint jar that I intend to store in the frig....this will keep a week or so....I like this recipe because it doesn't use a raw egg in it...I'm leary of using eggs that are not cooked....Hope this works for you....

Marilyn R Community Regular

Thank you for adding that recipe. :D

cahill Collaborator

This is the recipe I use..... gluten-free Mayo... 1/2 C water, 1/2 C oil. (olive is what I use)... 1 Tab lemon juice, 1 Tab Vinegar (it calls for vinegar but I think you could sub this with lemon juice).... 1/4 tsp. mustard powder (or sub some wet mustard, probaby more than 1/4 tsp)....1/2 tsp sugar... 1/2 tsp salt... 1 tsp sweet rice flour... 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum....this is the basic recipe..blend all ingredients well in a blender, to make it smooth.. you can add some spices to your taste...for a ranch type dressing I use 1/2 tsp garlic pdr...1/2 tsp onion powder...1 tsp parsley flakes ...a couple shakes of black pepper... 1/2 tsp dry dill and a dash of cayenne pepper ....put all ingredients in a blender and whiz till it is mixed well and smooth....what I do is put the ingredients in a pint jar then put on my blender blades ...I have a hamilton beach blender that the blades screw on a regular mason jar....so I blend it all in the pint jar that I intend to store in the frig....this will keep a week or so....I like this recipe because it doesn't use a raw egg in it...I'm leary of using eggs that are not cooked....Hope this works for you....

THANK YOU ,,, I sooooooo miss mayo, this sounds like a recipe I can use

THANK YOU :D

Thank you for the dressing recipe! I've been looking for somehting to do with my mayo. I miss ranch and haven't foudn a dairy free one yet. I will be maikng this soon! :)

Archived