This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

"may Contain Label"

dmeagan

dmeagan Apprentice

I was wondering if any of you consume products that have all gluten free ingrediants, but then may contain traces of wheat, etc because of the equipment used?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shopgirl Contributor

I absolutely don't touch "may contain" products.

The only product I've eaten that's produced on shared equipment is a pasta and I didn't react to it. It's a sensitivity issue though. There are some here who just can't do shared equipment/facility.

Personally, I'd always advice against any "may contain" foods but anything else is your own discretion.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Wouldn't touch the product if the warning is for wheat and greatly appretiate the companies that warn us of the possibility.

jerseyangel Proficient

I was wondering if any of you consume products that have all gluten free ingrediants, but then may contain traces of wheat, etc because of the equipment used?

Personally, I do not eat products that have a "traces" warning. I'm very sensitive to cross contamination.

IrishHeart Veteran

Definitely NEVER try the " may contain wheat" stuff :blink:

Once I see the "may contain traces of " soy, nuts, etc...I put the package down because I can't tolerate soy and I have no idea what else MAY be in there. I have been burned by those products. I am very sensitive apparently. :unsure:

I have learned to look for the words "made in a dedicated gluten-free facility".

I have also learned that "gluten-free" is not always the same a "DOES NOT CONTAIN GLUTEN INGREDIENTS" nor does it mean it is 100% gluten free. :(

I always wonder at companies who say "we do not add gluten, but we cannot guarantee what the ingredients we use in our products from other companies contain due to cross-contamination"...yet they have the stones to label it "gluten free" because it passes under the <20ppm standard rule. We need more strict labeling laws I think. JMHO

Very confusing. It's a bugger. :blink:

Use your best judgment.

lovegrov Collaborator

I do.

richard

psawyer Proficient

Even a "dedicated gluten-free facility" has the risk of cross-contamination. It can happen at any point on the supply line, not just at the final processing facility. And that UPS guy who just dropped off a package was eating a donut in his truck.

Glutino have dedicated gluten-free facilities. They don't say so on their packages, but they test for 20 ppm. Open Original Shared Link

IrishHeart, what do you think of Glutino? I respect the fact that they realize that even with a dedicated gluten-free facility, cross-contamination is possible, so they test. I use their products with complete confidence.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Even a "dedicated gluten-free facility" has the risk of cross-contamination. It can happen at any point on the supply line, not just at the final processing facility. And that UPS guy who just dropped off a package was eating a donut in his truck.

Glutino have dedicated gluten-free facilities. They don't say so on their packages, but they test for 20 ppm. Open Original Shared Link

IrishHeart, what do you think of Glutino? I respect the fact that they realize that even with a dedicated gluten-free facility, cross-contamination is possible, so they test. I use their products with complete confidence.

Thanks, Peter....I have not used any Glutino products as yet (I saw their crackers contained soy, so I stopped checking) and I truly appreciate your "heads up"!

My cousin swears by Glutino, maybe I will give them a try!

The EnjoyLife products seem to be fine for me.

I always appreciate your input on this subject (those pesky <20ppm gluten levels) as I do not think I am necessarily reacting to what level of gluten MAY be in something, but that I simply am still too gut-ravaged and everything seems like a problem because I am not well yet. Time will tell.

Thanks! :)

dmeagan Apprentice

Well I don't have symptoms, but tested positive 3 times with the blood test, but the biopsy was negative.....so I guess I was wondering if eating those products would cause other problems in the body

IrishHeart Veteran

They might, if you are sensitive to the products. Some people have trouble with xanthan gum,soy, etc...

alex11602 Collaborator

Not anymore. We took a chance with seasoned french fries that may contain traces of wheat yesterday and my daughter and I suffered(both were recently diagnosed with celiac). Her more then I, I was just uncomfortable and nauseous, but she has had the runs since (which is bad since she is only 1). Good luck with figuring out what to eat.

cahill Collaborator

No I dont,, to much of a risk for me

IrishHeart Veteran

Not anymore. We took a chance with seasoned french fries that may contain traces of wheat yesterday and my daughter and I suffered(both were recently diagnosed with celiac). Her more then I, I was just uncomfortable and nauseous, but she has had the runs since (which is bad since she is only 1). Good luck with figuring out what to eat.

Poor babe.sorry!!...yeah, that "seasoning" stuff is tricky. I avoid all that stuff for that very reason.

psawyer Proficient

"Spices" are a safe ingredient. No grain product can be labeled as a spice. "Seasonings" is a whole different ball game. :huh:

Archived