This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Another Bread Question

Marc49

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I always thought the reason the slices of gluten-free bread were so small had to do with calorie count/portion size. If you look you will see that one slice of Udi's is about 80 calories (I think that's right). That calorie count is comparable to a regular slice of gluten white bread. If they made the slices as big as a regular piece of bread it would be not only more expensive but we also would be eating twice as many calories as our gluten eating counterparts. That could be a good thing for some celiacs that are underweight but I've seen just as many stories on here of celiacs stuggling to lose weight due to the higher calorie and carb count of gluten-free substitute products. Since going gluten-free, I have found I'm stuffed full on the rare occaison when I eat an entire sandwhich made from gluten-free bread. I used to want the bigger size too but I've come to accept that my sandwiches are going to look small. The Udi's bagels are great buns for burgers or hoggie style sandwhiches if you really need something bigger.

All that said I have yet to find a bread that is really good for peanut butter an jelly. I want my PB&J to be soft and mushy in my mouth like wonder bread from my youth. Not even the softest gluten-free breads have been good enough. I would rather have a PB&J on rice cakes than have one on gluten-free bread which is scrathy and dry in my mouth. I often just use rice cakes instead of gluten-free bread. At least rice cakes are not pretending to be bread so I'm not expecting a soft texture. I've just come to accept that gluten-free breads are great for toast or paninis but not for soft sandwhiches on the go.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Melstar23 Apprentice

The best bread I have made so far is the Crusty French Rolls in The Gluten Free Gourmet bakes Bread. I use the recipe for 12 rolls, but make them into 6 so they are the same size as regular roll. Today I added some gluten-free sourdough starter to the liquids, so I'll be interested to see how it tastes when I have some later. I also made sorghum bread with raisis, currants, cinnamon and mixed spice - this was so good. My gluten free breads are always flatter than wheat breads, but the taste is just as good and soo much better than the gluten-free breads from the supermarket. Also much cheaper. I'd say my fruit loaf cost about $3, and the 6 rolls $2.50 AU. It costs $1.20 to get a similar wheat bread roll at the local bakery and $7.00 for gluten-free fruit bread, so that's pretty good. One downside is the time it takes to make the bread, but you can't have everything :)

freeatlast Collaborator

I love lavender, too, in moderation. I make my own herbes de provence blend with lavender. In France many do not use lavender in the blend but I like it!! :D It has an affinity for pork and duck so sometimes I make a rub for those.

I use mint a lot in fresh salads with feta. Are you able to eat cheese? Grilled haloumi on the BBQ sprinkled with fresh mint and drizzled with olive oil is lovely. As I mentioned above I make mint sauce for lamb. I also make apple mint jelly. Torn fresh mint is wonderful on kebabs wrapped in lettuce leaves. It is also great in tziziki sauce. Great on grilled butternut squash rounds and zucchini. Have you tried Jamie Oliver's Japanese Cucumber recipe? It uses fresh cukes, other stuff and fresh mint. Mmmm...good if you are able to tolerate rice vinegar.

One of my favourite vinaigrettes also contains fresh mint - it's a sort of Greek inspired one with feta, fresh mint, fresh thyme, fresh basil, a bit of Dijon, grilled red onion, red wine vinegar, olive oil, S and P, garlic. If you're interested I'll post it.

What did you do with your peppers? Only two of mine got large enough to call bell peppers - it froze early.

Lavender Shortbread

*This is the real, thick shortbread you put in a round pan as opposed to cookies. Delicious.*

1 c cold unsalted butter, diced, plus 1 tsp softened butter

1/2 c superfine sugar (if you don't have it, just grind up some granulated sugar in a food processor or spice grinder)

1 1/2 cups AP gluten-free blend

1/2 cup rice flour (if not in your favourite blend; if so, use 2 cups AP flour)

1/2-3/4 tsp lavender

pinch fine sea salt

1/8 tsp fleur de sel or sel de gris, or even granulated sugar

lemon zest, optional (lovely, too)

Using the 1 tsp softened butter, lightly butter sides and bottom of an 8" or 9" round tin.

Combine cold butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, mix on low speed 15 seconds. Add flour and a pinch of salt and and mix again until dough begins to come together, 3-5 minutes. (It may still look sort of powdery but once you knead it, it comes together.) Form into a ball and roll into circle. Place dought in tin, flattening to fill. Using a fork, prick dough all over, right through to the tin.

Refrigerate 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 300.

Sprinkle top with salt or sugar and place on a baking sheet. Bake until shortbread is just firm in the centre, about an hour.

Using a sharp knife, score into wedges. Let cool. When cold, remove and cut into wedges.

*Do you have a favourite AP gluten-free blend? If not let me know.*

Thank you for the recipe and all of the ideas, once again. The mint vinegrette sounds devine:) That is exactly the type of shortbread recipe I've been looking for for a couple of years.

On the bell peppers, I planted them beside the house in the backyard, in partial sun/shade. I noticed as I was digging that there were various tin cans and such buried by the builders. I removed them, but maybe that was one of the components that made the soil so furtile.

freeatlast Collaborator

*Do you have a favourite AP gluten-free blend? If not let me know.*

I use Bette Hagman's rice mix, usually, as part of a recipe. I have started using almond meal and amaranth flour now with either sorghum or buckwheat. Right now I have sorghum, so I'm using that.

What AP flour do you use in the Lavender Shortbread recipe?

Marc49 Explorer

Isn't that the truth! :lol::lol::lol:

Udi's does it for me in a desperate pinch but I have to be pretty desperate to eat bought bread products. I've been experimenting with my own and whilst it does not taste like the real thing by any stretch, it is loads better than bought. I teach gluten-free cooking/baking classes; if you are interested I could post a few recipes for you that seem to be almost ok! I experiment with about 15 kinds of flours as they all have different purposes and character. ;)

Just got back online,.......post away or send me the recipes PLEASE!!!!!!

If you start a thread of your own, please inform this newb where to find your recipes, as I will try anything at this point.

Really interested in a decent pizza crust recipe, dinner rolls, and buns for burgers if possible!

I'm not asking much am I? :rolleyes:

sa1937 Community Regular

The best bread I have made so far is the Crusty French Rolls in The Gluten Free Gourmet bakes Bread. I use the recipe for 12 rolls, but make them into 6 so they are the same size as regular roll. Today I added some gluten-free sourdough starter to the liquids, so I'll be interested to see how it tastes when I have some later. I also made sorghum bread with raisis, currants, cinnamon and mixed spice - this was so good. My gluten free breads are always flatter than wheat breads, but the taste is just as good and soo much better than the gluten-free breads from the supermarket. Also much cheaper. I'd say my fruit loaf cost about $3, and the 6 rolls $2.50 AU. It costs $1.20 to get a similar wheat bread roll at the local bakery and $7.00 for gluten-free fruit bread, so that's pretty good. One downside is the time it takes to make the bread, but you can't have everything :)

I keep seeing this book referred to so decided I should add it to my wish list...well, it's already there. :D As well as The Cake Mix Doctor Bakes Gluten-Free. Just need to add something to that order to get free shipping.

Do you have a special pan to bake your larger rolls? I bought a muffin-top pan but haven't used it yet hoping it would work for hamburger buns.

One book I do have and like is Gluten-Free Baking Classics by Annalise Roberts. I've only tried a couple of breads from it so far but am pretty pleased with the results.

love2travel Mentor

Just got back online,.......post away or send me the recipes PLEASE!!!!!!

If you start a thread of your own, please inform this newb where to find your recipes, as I will try anything at this point.

Really interested in a decent pizza crust recipe, dinner rolls, and buns for burgers if possible!

I'm not asking much am I? :rolleyes:

You're not asking for more than anyone else would! :lol: I am making a double layer coconut buttercream cake with coconut buttercream filling today - will post that recipe if it is as luscious as it seems! It has coconut flour in it so is smelling lovely!

Am trying another pizza crust tomorrow so will also post that one if it is good, too. It's funny - the only pizza I've ever loved is in Italy but now that I can't have it I want it! :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Marc49 Explorer

You're not asking for more than anyone else would! :lol: I am making a double layer coconut buttercream cake with coconut buttercream filling today - will post that recipe if it is as luscious as it seems! It has coconut flour in it so is smelling lovely!

Am trying another pizza crust tomorrow so will also post that one if it is good, too. It's funny - the only pizza I've ever loved is in Italy but now that I can't have it I want it! :P

Pizza is another big thing I miss!

Your cake sounds delicious, and although I am not a huge sweet eater I will be waiting to see how that one turned out as well.

To date all I have done pizza wise is those little 8" Schar cardboard things,.....they suck IMHO.

I also tried some ready made mix that was only slightly better.

I am counting on you big time! :D

love2travel Mentor

Pizza is another big thing I miss!

Your cake sounds delicious, and although I am not a huge sweet eater I will be waiting to see how that one turned out as well.

To date all I have done pizza wise is those little 8" Schar cardboard things,.....they suck IMHO.

I also tried some ready made mix that was only slightly better.

I am counting on you big time! :D

The cake looks beautiful but am waiting for it to cool and ice. We'll see! At least the buttercream is divine so if desperate will eat that all night... :lol:

I know what you mean about the cardboard pizzas! I tried Glutino and Kinnikinnick and they SUCK, too. Hate them. OK, hate is a strong word. Loathe. :P I'd rather put toppings on a piece of drywall.

Looks as though I've got my work cut out for me. Will post results as they happen...

What kind of crust do you like - thick and chewy or thin and crisp?

Anyone interested in a foccacia recipe? The one I made the other day was really quite good with lots of rosemary and crunchy sea salt. Dipped some of it in balsamic and olive oil, just like the good old days. Dry the next day so next time I'll know to pig out the first day... :D

sa1937 Community Regular

The cake looks beautiful but am waiting for it to cool and ice. We'll see! At least the buttercream is divine so if desperate will eat that all night... :lol:

I know what you mean about the cardboard pizzas! I tried Glutino and Kinnikinnick and they SUCK, too. Hate them. OK, hate is a strong word. Loathe. :P I'd rather put toppings on a piece of drywall.

Looks as though I've got my work cut out for me. Will post results as they happen...

What kind of crust do you like - thick and chewy or thin and crisp?

Anyone interested in a foccacia recipe? The one I made the other day was really quite good with lots of rosemary and crunchy sea salt. Dipped some of it in balsamic and olive oil, just like the good old days. Dry the next day so next time I'll know to pig out the first day... :D

Yummmmm...buttercream dessert!

Be careful with that drywall pizza...it could have wheat in it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I shouldn't speak for anyone else, but I think lots of us would love any pizza crust or foccacia recipe you want to throw at us. :D

ETA: Have you ever found any bread recipe that wasn't dry the next day? I can make a fairly decent loaf of bread but the next day it's toast.

love2travel Mentor

Yummmmm...buttercream dessert!

Be careful with that drywall pizza...it could have wheat in it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I shouldn't speak for anyone else, but I think lots of us would love any pizza crust or foccacia recipe you want to throw at us. :D

ETA: Have you ever found any bread recipe that wasn't dry the next day? I can make a fairly decent loaf of bread but the next day it's toast.

The last bread I made was almost too moist - weird. It lasted a week (I wanted to see how long it would last). In fact, the problem I have with some breads is that they tend to be moist and dense rather than dry and crumbly.

I'll be careful of the drywall pizza - will ensure it's gluten-free! :D

sa1937 Community Regular

The last bread I made was almost too moist - weird. It lasted a week (I wanted to see how long it would last). In fact, the problem I have with some breads is that they tend to be moist and dense rather than dry and crumbly.

I really haven't had a problem with bread being dry and crumbly. And if mine is too moist, it usually falls and/or is gummy. Yuck! I use an instant read thermometer to check for doneness and sometimes do put it back in the oven for awhile after taking it out of the bread pan. 'Tis such a puzzle.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I have a friend who swears she made wonderful gluten free hamburger buns using coconut flour. I don't believe it myself. But if it is true, I will post the recipe for you.

I'm writing this half to remind myself to post recipe when I get it, and half to give you hope!

Did you check out the bread recipe Sylvia posted a link for? Looks great!

sa1937 Community Regular

The only problem with that recipe is that it makes 4 loaves...and I live alone. It sure does look good though. I don't have room in my fridge to store it considering the entire top shelf is filled with gluten-free flours that need to be refrigerated.

Have you checked the King Arthur website? They have some gluten-free recipes...haven't tried the breads but the flourless chocolate cake is to die for. :D

Marc49 Explorer

As far as the question for me concerning pizza,....I tend to like the authentic NY style. Even before I started this gluten-free thing, I did not eat 'fast food' type pizza.

We have quite the assortment of little hole in the wall type Italian places around here that make great pies. One owner in particular will think that I died being as I used to stop in for take out at least once a week.

So after all that I guess I lean more toward the thinner/crispy type crusts, but not like a Pizza Hut thin and crispy.

I would be interested in that focaccia recipe for sure.

Sounds great!

etta694 Explorer

I HAVE to pass this bread recipe along... if you love rye and dark breads. This is an awesome bread. Open Original Shared Link

The flax, molasses, millet and oat flour make it wonderfully flavorful. Don't know if you can handle gluten free oats..? My son, who is not gluten free, loves it and my mom, also not gluten-challenged ;) , loves it too.. so it doesn't last as long as I'd like. It stays very puffy and moist - like bread.

I have taken to making my bread in a souffle dish because it rises up and doesn't fall. I also use Celimix Flax bread mix which, for a bread mix, is very bread like.

Judy3 Contributor

My favorite thing to do is cook and bake. I haven't had much luck with the breads either. I've tried the Chebe roll mix and they were tasty but kind of like a dense cream puff shell and too 'eggy' for me. Also the outside was too hard and knocked my jaw out of whack for a few days! ... So you are not alone in your quest for 'real' tasting bread. For now, I'm using Udi's white bread and toasting it and it's passable. Untoasted, the bread melts in your mouth before you get to the meat filling. I can't use the whole grain because I'm allergic to flax seed.. :( Anyway, my other bakery products have turned out awesome and loved my my non-gluten free friends. So for now I'm sticking to cakes, cookies, muffins, pancakes.. none too often though, trying to stick to whole foods while I heal.. oh and the Tinkyada brown rice pasta is good.

Another thing that might work for a guy with a larger appetite is Udi's bagels. I don't care for them as bagels but they make good toasted hamburger buns. A little pricey as you only get 4 in a bag but to have a full size sandwich from time to time it might do the trick!! I keep them and my Udi's bread in the freezer to prevent premature spoilage and just take out what I need.

Good luck, I'm experimenting with breads also so if I find something that actually works and resembles bread in size and taste I'll be sure to post it. Unfortunately, gluten is what makes bread good!! So finding an alternative is going to be a trick for us all.

Marc49 Explorer

The burgers on the bagel idea is a good one,.......feel like a dope that I didn't think about it myself.

Those Udi's bagels are one of the few things I actual can eat and semi enjoy in the bread category.

My mother made one of those Betty Crocker cakes for me last week. We only live about 20 miles apart.

I thanked her for it, but had to say don't make another one. I thought it was horrible.

She followed the directions and is a good baker so it wasn't her!

freeatlast Collaborator

The burgers on the bagel idea is a good one,.......feel like a dope that I didn't think about it myself.

Those Udi's bagels are one of the few things I actual can eat and semi enjoy in the bread category.

My mother made one of those Betty Crocker cakes for me last week. We only live about 20 miles apart.

I thanked her for it, but had to say don't make another one. I thought it was horrible.

She followed the directions and is a good baker so it wasn't her!

I agree with you. Whole Foods has a great chocolate cake mix though. It's just their 365 brand and it was great! I didn't cook it as long, though, so you might want to check it after about 35 minutes if you're doing a 9 x 12 inch pan.

Also, you might want to try Nature's Path frozen waffles and Arrowhead Mills' Rice 'n Shine hot cereal. They're both pretty fast to make, also.

Marc49 Explorer

Unfortunately I do not have a Whole Foods store close to me,......about an hour and a half away.

I understand that a lot of folks here like the BC stuff, just like the Bisquick gluten-free. I am very happy for them, and I consider them lucky.

I am not giving up quite yet to the point of accepting that stuff as part of my life.

I am a very good cook,.......I just have not baked much.

I CAN learn!!!!!!!!! ;)

etta694 Explorer

If you try bread, my (short)experience is that it is very sticky and like a very thick cake batter. If you can, get yourself a stand mixer, it makes it so much easier. My regular mixer was not going to last and the dough climbed my mixer and glopped up the underside. The stand mixer has made me want to bake!

Marc49 Explorer

Etta,...thanks for the PM or whatever they call them here. :rolleyes:

I saved the recipe BTW. I still can't quite figure out how this forum works in terms of configuring options.

My profile shows e-mail as private, and I can't seem to figure out how to change it.

etta694 Explorer

Etta,...thanks for the PM or whatever they call them here. :rolleyes:

I saved the recipe BTW. I still can't quite figure out how this forum works in terms of configuring options.

My profile shows e-mail as private, and I can't seem to figure out how to change it.

I don't know either.. I PMed you because I love that bread so much I had to make sure you knew it was great. Wish I could send you a piece :P . We need the Star Trek Transporter!

love2travel Mentor

Unfortunately I do not have a Whole Foods store close to me,......about an hour and a half away.

I understand that a lot of folks here like the BC stuff, just like the Bisquick gluten-free. I am very happy for them, and I consider them lucky.

I am not giving up quite yet to the point of accepting that stuff as part of my life.

I am a very good cook,.......I just have not baked much.

I CAN learn!!!!!!!!! ;)

As one passionate cook to another, yes, you certainly can learn. If your mind is like a sponge like mine, do it. It truly can be done. Honest. :)

My preference is not to settle for second best so I do all scratch cooking/baking. I've never cooked with mixes or purchased cookies (for example) before so why start now? It annoys me that most gluten-free products are so expensive, too, although I understand why. I am not content with the dry, crumbly, tasteless, chalky, dense, gummy, hockey pucks so do my own thing with much better success. There are possibilities out there! My goals are high and I dream big but have had many yummy baking successes. Enough to encourage me to continue with experimenting and being adventurous. It is utterly satisfying and gratifying.

But my life pretty much revolves around cooking/baking. It always has, hope it always will. Food science fascinates me - I need to know how and why things act the way they do. And I just plain enjoy cooking immensely. There is nothing like it. I love to teach people how to cook - it is so fundamental in every culture.

Having said that I likely have more time than many people do. I also am not sick like many, either, and can give more time to the art and craft of cooking and baking. If I am not cooking I am either reading about it or thinking about it at least.

:D:D:D:D:D

Marc49 Explorer

I see some of you are going to make me watch the board! I see recipes going up now. B)

Guess I better get to reading and printing! :D

Archived