eatmeat4good

Has Anyone Taken These Medications For Dh?

Rate this topic

These medications are listed as alternatives when Dapsone is not tolerated.

colchicine

lymecycline

nicotinamide

tetracycline

sulfamethoxypyridazine

sulfapyridine

Does anyone have any experience taking them specifically for DH?

Might be worth a discussion with my doc. But I'm especially interested in the nicotinamide.

"Nicotinamide has demonstrated the ability to block the inflammatory actions of iodides known to precipitate or exacerbate inflammatory acne."

Yeah, it's Wikipedia, but if it is true, I wonder if it would work the same way on DH?

Is nicotinamide just niacin?

They say it is an acne medication, but I believe it is just Nacin?

Any comments? (Except about the fact that I used Wikipedia?) ;)

I haven't taken any of these, but regarding nicotinamide...if it is niacin a major side effect is major hot flushes. I have to be careful how much niacin is in my vitamins because it causes such bad flushes.

Interesting about how it blocks the inflammatory effects of iodides...

There is a thread on the forum where a woman commented that her son cannot tolerate dapsone, but could take sulfapyridine with no problem.

The only thing I've heard of working other than Dapsone is some sort of sulfur drug.

richard

Colchicine is also a very difficult to tolerate medication :o

Sulfapyridine has some of the same side effects as dapsone, and it's probably pricey since it's an orphan drug.

Nicotinamide, from what I've searched, is used in conjunction with another drug like a tetracycline, not alone.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10844495

DH will resolve on it's own with the diet. It can take some time for the antibodies to leave the skin which can be a good thing as when it flares you will know that some gluten is sneaking in. Personally I wouldn't use any med, just be superstrict with the diet. Some with DH will find that gluten grain alcohols and vinegars will cause a flare and a food log can help pinpoint that if it is an issue for you. You should also avoid topicals with gluten especially if the lesions are active. Gluten may not pass through intact skin but skin with active lesions is not intact and gluten will pass through mucous membranes in the eyes, nose, mouth etc.