This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Day 3 Of Elimination Diet (Gory)

Crash

Crash Rookie

So I have been eating (and feeling) horrible for months now. IBS, which leads to anxiety, which lead to self medication. Last week I got fed up and stopped drinking alcohol. Three days ago, I decided to try a pure elimination diet (actually suggested by my psychiatrist). No grains, eggs, dairy, nightshades, etc. Nothing but pure meat, fruits and veggies. The first two days were terrible. Really bad D, cramps, gas, tons of anxiety (gluten withdrawal?). But this morning I looked in the mirror shocked. I weigh the same, but I had no IDEA I was so bloated all the time. The anxiety is also a little less today (probably because it's a saturday), and I have motivation. I know it's probably too early, but now I'm beginning to suspect some kind of intolerance may be the answer.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

katrina500 Rookie

So I have been eating (and feeling) horrible for months now. IBS, which leads to anxiety, which lead to self medication. Last week I got fed up and stopped drinking alcohol. Three days ago, I decided to try a pure elimination diet (actually suggested by my psychiatrist). No grains, eggs, dairy, nightshades, etc. Nothing but pure meat, fruits and veggies. The first two days were terrible. Really bad D, cramps, gas, tons of anxiety (gluten withdrawal?). But this morning I looked in the mirror shocked. I weigh the same, but I had no IDEA I was so bloated all the time. The anxiety is also a little less today (probably because it's a saturday), and I have motivation. I know it's probably too early, but now I'm beginning to suspect some kind of intolerance may be the answer.

Hi Crash, it took me two months of eating nothing but meat, fruit and veg until I started to feel better, then I started on the processed gluten free meals and I felt terrible again, so stick with it, it really does take a while; our intestines are very long to get it all out. As for the alcohol, I'm quite a big social drinker and I'm finding it really hard to give that up, but I'm convinced it's terrible for my guts. Bear in mind that taking alcohol out of your diet will make you feel worse for at least a couple of weeks also. Be brave with your diet and I'm sure you'll feel great soon. Three days is too short a time to measure it. Take care.

healinginprogress Enthusiast

Hi, I had the same experience with the bloatedness...I knew I was bloated, but I've had a few good days since going on the elimination diet where I was like...whoa...my stomach feels...DIFFERENT...and it looked different, too...because it wasn't all inflamed!!! But, yes, I knew that I got bloated, but that feeling of no inflammation is priceless...and worth staying on the lame diet LOL

I've been alcohol free for 2 weeks now, and on the strict elimination diet (no gluten, corn, dairy, soy, eggs, alcohol, caffeine, fun....LOL) for 10 days....ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Wow, it feel like so much longer LOL I tried to reintroduce soy on the 5th day...what was I thinking?? I want this all to go much faster than it is, i what I was thinking.

Anyways...I'm hoping for more...hmmm, is there really no word for the opposite of inflamed?? Haha

Well, I'm hoping we both have some more inflammation-free days!!!

cahill Collaborator

When I first started my elimination diet I dropped 2 pants sizes when the bloating went down .

Starting and sticking with a strict elimination diet can be very ,very tough, but it is so worth it. Hang in there, sounds like you are off to a good start :)

**by the way,, love your name :D **

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Anyways...I'm hoping for more...hmmm, is there really no word for the opposite of inflamed?? Haha

How about the word 'healthy' :)

OP It's sounds like your making good progress. Do be aware that if you want to be tested for celiac that you need to be eating gluten. If you are going to be tested go back to eating gluten now and get tested. Since you have only been off gluten for a couple days a month or so back on gluten may be long enough. If you can stay gluten free for life without a formal diagnosis then just continue but if you later have doubts you will need to do a lengthy challenge of about 2 to 3 months. Even on a full gluten diet you will still have a risk of a false negative.

Archived