This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Focaccia Bread Recipe...

love2travel

love2travel Mentor

As requested am posting my favourite gluten-free focaccia bread to date. Note that the second day it becomes very dry so try to eat it the first day (only makes one small loaf, anyway). Incredibly easy to make. Good to dip in olive oil and balsamic, too.

gluten-free Focaccia

Bread Flour Mix (makes 2 cups but I triple to have on hand):

2/3 c millet flour

1/3 c sorghum flour

1/3 c cornstarch

1/3 c potato starch

1/3 c tapioca flour (or may be labelled starch - same thing)

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups of above

1 t xanthan gum

1/2 t salt

1 T granulated sugar

1 t gluten-free onion powder

1/4 oz dry quick-rise yeast granules

1 t olive oil

3/4 c plus 1 T water at 110F

olive oil

fresh rosemary

coarse sea salt

Spray 8 or 9" round cake pan with spray (or grease as usual) and sprinkle with cornmeal (or simply dust with some of above flour).

Mix all dry in bowl of electric mixer. NOTE: I added finely minced fresh rosemary to the dough as well for more flavour. Pour warm water and olive oil into bowl; mix just until blended. Scrape bowl and beaters and beat on high 2 min.

Spoon dough into pan and spread to sides. Cover and let rise for about 40-60 min. (should be double in height).

Preheat oven to 400.

Sprinkle olive oil over top and spread into a THIN film over the bread. Sprinkle liberally with fresh rosemary and sea salt (and whatever else - garlic cloves, onion, sundried tomatoes, etc.). Another nice addition is caramelized onions on top. MMMMM!!

Bake 20-25 min for 8"; 15-20 min for 9".

*Note that "t" is tsp; "T" is tbsp.

(This has been taken from Annalise Robert's book.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

THANKS A BUNCH, you sweetheart!! I LOOOVE focaccia bread and I'll get hubby right on it---he's our baker. ;)

love2travel Mentor

THANKS A BUNCH, you sweetheart!! I LOOOVE focaccia bread and I'll get hubby right on it---he's our baker. ;)

So glad!! I think you'll really like it. I did and I must admit I am pretty analytical about what I make and eat. If I do any more tweaking I'll post results. Last time we had it with homemade fresh pasta.

Marc49 Explorer

I have printed this one as well!

I'm gonna be busy,.....first have to find the ingredients. ;)

love2travel Mentor

I have printed this one as well!

I'm gonna be busy,.....first have to find the ingredients. ;)

Awesome! Let me know what you think. I'm open to tweaking possibilities! :D

aeraen Apprentice

Right into my cook book that went! It sounds absolutely delicious!

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

As requested am posting my favourite gluten-free focaccia bread to date. Note that the second day it becomes very dry so try to eat it the first day (only makes one small loaf, anyway). Incredibly easy to make. Good to dip in olive oil and balsamic, too.

gluten-free Focaccia

Bread Flour Mix (makes 2 cups but I triple to have on hand):

2/3 c millet flour

1/3 c sorghum flour

1/3 c cornstarch

1/3 c potato starch

1/3 c tapioca flour (or may be labelled starch - same thing)

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups of above

1 t xanthan gum

1/2 t salt

1 T granulated sugar

1 t gluten-free onion powder

1/4 oz dry quick-rise yeast granules

1 t olive oil

3/4 c plus 1 T water at 110F

olive oil

fresh rosemary

coarse sea salt

Spray 8 or 9" round cake pan with spray (or grease as usual) and sprinkle with cornmeal (or simply dust with some of above flour).

Mix all dry in bowl of electric mixer. NOTE: I added finely minced fresh rosemary to the dough as well for more flavour. Pour warm water and olive oil into bowl; mix just until blended. Scrape bowl and beaters and beat on high 2 min.

Spoon dough into pan and spread to sides. Cover and let rise for about 40-60 min. (should be double in height).

Preheat oven to 400.

Sprinkle olive oil over top and spread into a THIN film over the bread. Sprinkle liberally with fresh rosemary and sea salt (and whatever else - garlic cloves, onion, sundried tomatoes, etc.). Another nice addition is caramelized onions on top. MMMMM!!

Bake 20-25 min for 8"; 15-20 min for 9".

*Note that "t" is tsp; "T" is tbsp.

Sounds good! I have everythign to make this except for the sorghum flour. Do you think I could use brown rice flour or buckwheat flour in place of the sorghum? I've never had sorghum so please advise which you think would work best. Thanks for the recipe!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

Sounds good! I have everythign to make this except for the sorghum flour. Do you think I could use brown rice flour or buckwheat flour in place of the sorghum? I've never had sorghum so please advise which you think would work best. Thanks for the recipe!

You're welcome! We CAN have tasty focaccia, darn it! Anyway, I think that brown rice flour would be fine but as you know, it is a little gritty, which shouldn't affect the texture enough to be a problem. Another good sub would be amaranth if you have that.

You're welcome! We CAN have tasty focaccia, darn it! Anyway, I think that brown rice flour would be fine but as you know, it is a little gritty, which shouldn't affect the texture enough to be a problem. Another good sub would be amaranth if you have that.

Thank You for replying so quickly! I mixed up a batch with brown rice flour and I have it rising in my warm window sill right now. I also used garlic powder instead of onion powder (just a personal preferance). If this works it would be a miracle recipe for me. No milk, no butter, no eggs. Just flours, spices, water and oil basically. I can have eggs and I often use almond milk for a milk sub in baking but I have a niece that is allergic to eggs and nuts. Between her allergies and mine it's pretty hard to make baked goods that are safe for both of us.

Marc49 Explorer

Thank You for replying so quickly! I mixed up a batch with brown rice flour and I have it rising in my warm window sill right now. I also used garlic powder instead of onion powder (just a personal preferance). If this works it would be a miracle recipe for me. No milk, no butter, no eggs. Just flours, spices, water and oil basically. I can have eggs and I often use almond milk for a milk sub in baking but I have a niece that is allergic to eggs and nuts. Between her allergies and mine it's pretty hard to make baked goods that are safe for both of us.

Let us know how it turns out.

I actually am a garlic lover, so I might very well do the same as you did.

Hey,.....you folks are making me hungry! :P

love2travel Mentor

Oh, how wonderful! I hope you like it. Good idea to use garlic powder. Though I haven't done it yet next time I want to add roasted garlic cloves. That is the thing that is so great about this recipe - you can make it how you and your family like it! So many different combinations possible.

That would truly be a challenge to bake things that you both can have. I have a sister who is gluten intolerant and cannot have lactose so when she comes over I use coconut milk in things (really good in Thai dishes, anyway) and cook with oils rather than butter.

Hope you enjoy! :)

Oh, how wonderful! I hope you like it. Good idea to use garlic powder. Though I haven't done it yet next time I want to add roasted garlic cloves. That is the thing that is so great about this recipe - you can make it how you and your family like it! So many different combinations possible.

That would truly be a challenge to bake things that you both can have. I have a sister who is gluten intolerant and cannot have lactose so when she comes over I use coconut milk in things (really good in Thai dishes, anyway) and cook with oils rather than butter.

Hope you enjoy! :)

Coconut milk is my second favorite milk sub but my niece can't have coconut either. I have searched high and low for a rice milk that is soy free, gluten free and nut free and I haven't found one. If I were just lactose intolerant I would use lactaid milk but I have an actual milk allergy so I can't have that. I use light olive oil in pretty much everything calling for butter with mostly good results.

My bread is in the oven now. rahter than put it in a cake pan I plopped it in the middle of an oiled non-stick pizza pan that I have only been using for gluten-free baking. The dough smells really good! Hope it turns out. I've got some chicken and wild rice soup on the stove and some warm bread would go great with it.

This was very good! So good in fact my non-gluten-free husband almost ate the entire loaf before I told him to save some for me. :)

The flavor is very much like focaccia but the texture was more like a biscuit (Southern American biscuit not the English biscuit which is a cookie or cracker type thing). Actually this was the closest gluten-free thing to a biscuit I have ever tasted texture wise but it had garlic and rosemary flavor instead. The only thing that makes it not foccacia-like to me is that it didn't have a chewy crust. It was very dense and moist and not gritty at all from the addition of brown rice flour. All in all an very good recipe and my DH has already requested I make it again (when he was trying to eat it all he said "Can you make more?" LOL, a very good sign).

love2travel Mentor

This was very good! So good in fact my non-gluten-free husband almost ate the entire loaf before I told him to save some for me. :)

The flavor is very much like focaccia but the texture was more like a biscuit (Southern American biscuit not the English biscuit which is a cookie or cracker type thing). Actually this was the closest gluten-free thing to a biscuit I have ever tasted texture wise but it had garlic and rosemary flavor instead. The only thing that makes it not foccacia-like to me is that it didn't have a chewy crust. It was very dense and moist and not gritty at all from the addition of brown rice flour. All in all an very good recipe and my DH has already requested I make it again (when he was trying to eat it all he said "Can you make more?" LOL, a very good sign).

I'm happy he liked it! That is cool that the brown rice flour did not add any grittiness. Did it rise much? Mine rose a lot and almost had a cakey texture. I, too, love chewy focaccia; in fact, I have a recipe for that somewhere around here but have not made it yet. Some people use pizza crust recipes for focaccia, too.

So, is this a recipe you'd make again? I'm thinking of adding it (with tweaking suggestions from others) to my cooking class repetoire.

I'm happy he liked it! That is cool that the brown rice flour did not add any grittiness. Did it rise much? Mine rose a lot and almost had a cakey texture. I, too, love chewy focaccia; in fact, I have a recipe for that somewhere around here but have not made it yet. Some people use pizza crust recipes for focaccia, too.

So, is this a recipe you'd make again? I'm thinking of adding it (with tweaking suggestions from others) to my cooking class repetoire.

Mine did not rise much but my yeast was close to expiration and has been in my cabinet for a while so perhaps that is why. Yes I would make this again but I think I am going to tweak it to make drop biscuits from it instead of focaccia bread. All the gluten-free biscuit recipes I have found have eggs and I never put eggs in my biscuits prior to gluten-free baking. The eggy biscuits (like the ones made using gluten-free bisquik mix) are not good tasting to me. This was realy good and satisfied my craving for a dense bready baked good for sure. I also dipped it in my soup and it didn't disinigrate, it soaked up the liquid nicely. So I'm thinking this might be a good dough to use for chicken and dumplings.

love2travel Mentor

Mine did not rise much but my yeast was close to expiration and has been in my cabinet for a while so perhaps that is why. Yes I would make this again but I think I am going to tweak it to make drop biscuits from it instead of focaccia bread. All the gluten-free biscuit recipes I have found have eggs and I never put eggs in my biscuits prior to gluten-free baking. The eggy biscuits (like the ones made using gluten-free bisquik mix) are not good tasting to me. This was realy good and satisfied my craving for a dense bready baked good for sure. I also dipped it in my soup and it didn't disinigrate, it soaked up the liquid nicely. So I'm thinking this might be a good dough to use for chicken and dumplings.

Chicken and Dumplings and biscuits are a great idea for this. Mine wasn't biscuit-like - it rose tall and was very light. But the texture is still not real focaccia. It still is really good for what it is and fixes a craving fairly quickly.

I appreciate your input! It really helps me learn. :D

Chicken and Dumplings and biscuits are a great idea for this. Mine wasn't biscuit-like - it rose tall and was very light. But the texture is still not real focaccia. It still is really good for what it is and fixes a craving fairly quickly.

I appreciate your input! It really helps me learn. :D

No problem! It might have been the different flour that made mine more dense. I don't think I've seen sorghum in the stores here. Do you order it online? I liked this just fine with brown rice flour but I like the taste of brown rice. I also wonder if I had brushed the top with some egg white if it would have made the outside more chewy. I might try adding an egg or brushing it with egg next time. Was very good as it is though. We finished the small loaf off (My hubby ate more than me, lol).

love2travel Mentor

No problem! It might have been the different flour that made mine more dense. I don't think I've seen sorghum in the stores here. Do you order it online? I liked this just fine with brown rice flour but I like the taste of brown rice. I also wonder if I had brushed the top with some egg white if it would have made the outside more chewy. I might try adding an egg or brushing it with egg next time. Was very good as it is though. We finished the small loaf off (My hubby ate more than me, lol).

It's funny that we can easily buy sorgum here in rural Alberta at the grocery store but yet have a heck of a time finding anything gluten-free aside from powdery cookies and bread. I have heard of people having difficulty finding it. Although I sort of complained about brown rice flour being a little gritty I still really like it and use it regularly. Some people are put off by it, some are not. Have you tried teff in much yet? I have a little but want to do more.

Anyway, your ideas have me thinking. I normally spray the inside of the oven with water prior to baking focaccia (or putting in a few ice cubes) and didn't with gluten-free yet. Love your eggwash idea. I wonder if adding a touch of psyllium fibre would help. I know that tapioca and potato flours are good for adding chew. Hmmmm. At least we have something to build on - we're a good team! :D

It's funny that we can easily buy sorgum here in rural Alberta at the grocery store but yet have a heck of a time finding anything gluten-free aside from powdery cookies and bread. I have heard of people having difficulty finding it. Although I sort of complained about brown rice flour being a little gritty I still really like it and use it regularly. Some people are put off by it, some are not. Have you tried teff in much yet? I have a little but want to do more.

Anyway, your ideas have me thinking. I normally spray the inside of the oven with water prior to baking focaccia (or putting in a few ice cubes) and didn't with gluten-free yet. Love your eggwash idea. I wonder if adding a touch of psyllium fibre would help. I know that tapioca and potato flours are good for adding chew. Hmmmm. At least we have something to build on - we're a good team! :D

I haven't tried teff yet either. I probably could get it from an international market here but I have not thought to look for it. I got some chickpea flour from the international market and I have no idea what to do with it. I really like brown rice and other rice flour based things. I've never had a problem with homemade items from brown rice flour being gritty. I'm not sure if you have the same brands up there, but I've been using Arrowhead Mills Organic brown rice flour. It appears to be very finely ground. Maybe other brands are more course and give that gritty texture everyone complains about? Either that or I just have a different definition of gritty, lol. I also like tapioca flour based things. Some people say it has a metallic aftertaste but I have not noticed it.

Marc49 Explorer

Glad to hear that someone else has tried it and approves!

I just need to line up the ingredients,.....probably will do one this weekend if I can find the stuff.

Someone mentioned Bisquick biscuits. Wow,.....I tried some of those, and while they looked OK, they sucked the moisture out of my throat when I ate one.

Funny thing is what happened when I took them out to the wooded section of my lot to feed the animals.

I always tear up any bread really fine in case a bird tries to eat any. These things you could just squeeze in your hand and they exploded into small particles like a ball of sawdust! ;)

Just an update on the sorghum. I looked again in my store today and I can get it here but it is made by Bob's Red Mill and I can't tolerate BRM products because they process their gluten-free flours in the the same facility as Oats. I'm very sensitive to Oat CC it seems. Every BRM product I tried made me sick. But for those that don't have a problem with BRM, their sorghum is sold in stores here in Virginia.

AngieH Newbie

This recipe looks like a good one. I love Fococcia bread. Thanks so much for sharing!

Angie.

love2travel Mentor

This recipe looks like a good one. I love Fococcia bread. Thanks so much for sharing!

Angie.

It is good. As noted above, the texture is not like real focaccia but mine rose nice and high and had a fine crumb. What I liked best was the smells exuding from the kitchen - fresh rosemary is wonderful - and the flavours are like focaccia. :)

• 3 months later...
challengeaccepted Newbie

Ok, so I am saying in advance that I used this as an outline, not a hard and fast rule. Its how I like to bake so please take that into account, BUT I never could have made this such a success without your fantastic recipe. I look forward to reading through more of the food forums to find your little gems!!!

Changes I made,

-I cannot handle gums, so I used 2 tsp of Psyllium powder instead.

-I use a flour blend created by another website that I am sure many of you are already aware of, its gluten free girl. The Ahern's flour blend. It shares many similar ingredients to the OP, so I took the liberty since I had it all ready mixed and in a container ready to go. (Its flexible for many allergies, since it uses a weight ratio, subbing different flours in or out is so very easy)

Ok, that was it for changes :-)

This was amazing. I am not sure if my changes added that 'chewiness' everyone wanted, or If i just got lucky! It was chewy, crispy on the bottom, with this salty top that was tender and truly life changing lol.

Just amazing and I sincerely thank you for this recipe <3

love2travel Mentor

Ok, so I am saying in advance that I used this as an outline, not a hard and fast rule. Its how I like to bake so please take that into account, BUT I never could have made this such a success without your fantastic recipe. I look forward to reading through more of the food forums to find your little gems!!!

Changes I made,

-I cannot handle gums, so I used 2 tsp of Psyllium powder instead.

-I use a flour blend created by another website that I am sure many of you are already aware of, its gluten free girl. The Ahern's flour blend. It shares many similar ingredients to the OP, so I took the liberty since I had it all ready mixed and in a container ready to go. (Its flexible for many allergies, since it uses a weight ratio, subbing different flours in or out is so very easy)

Ok, that was it for changes :-)

This was amazing. I am not sure if my changes added that 'chewiness' everyone wanted, or If i just got lucky! It was chewy, crispy on the bottom, with this salty top that was tender and truly life changing lol.

Just amazing and I sincerely thank you for this recipe <3

Welcome here! I'm so glad you took advantage of tweaking this recipe to your needs. That shows you are a creative baker - awesome. It is indeed a very simple recipe to make substitutions. I'll have to try it with psyllium instead as well to compare. I miss chewiness! :D

Archived