This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Shelf Stable gluten-free Foods For Travel

Mizzo

Mizzo Enthusiast

Hello,

We are vacation in the Caribbean in a few weeks and need just a few take a long travel items for it. I am looking for lunch type foodsfor 7yr old that are shelf stable that will make the suitcase trip .

I am taking a loaf frozen Udi's and Pb and J and some snack items. But is there any boxed items similar to Hormel microwavables that are out there. We don't do a lot of these type foods so I am at a loss. I have a kitchen when I get there but all the foods are brought in from Europe and have no idea of safety . We have a breakfast plan( It's a buffet so I am concerned) and dinners will be fine as all meals are cooked to order. I am at a loss for lunches. I can and will make her a sandwich everyday if necessary (it's vacation so I am not pressuring the healthy eating for a week) :)'

Also does anyone know of gluten-free foods from Europe I can ask about in particular. We are going to Bonaire and everything is imported from Netherlands etc... The resort will put a order in for select foods but I have no idea what to ask for? I would like her to have some options for the following.

Breakfast waffles & muffins, Desserts ,

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

Some of these are gluten free:

Open Original Shared Link

The store at this website here has some cooked pasta in sauce both in cans and pouches.

This site has some gluten-free things and if your order is $20 or more there is no postage. Daughter likes the salami slices, hummus and apple bars.

Hormel chili, beef stew and tamales are gluten-free.

Kimmik95 Rookie

We are planning a trip to Cancun in May, so I'm thinking through the same type of things.

Many canned baked beans are gluten-free. Progresso has some soups that are gluten-free. Amy's has a boxed Mac & cheese. Dinty Moore has some stews that are gluten-free.

My mom thought of maybe checking a disposable cooler for some items. I don't think we'll need it, but it's not a bad idea.

I would be VERY careful about the buffet. You have no idea what's in somethings and what spoons have touched what. That's a scary one, but hopefully, it will work out.

Here's what we are going to do. My son drinks Ensure breakfast drink in the mornings (we are supplimenting his diet to help him gain weight and he loves it), so I'm taking enough of those to cover 2 a day. I will probably take some gluten-free cereals, like fruity pebbles or chex as well. He's not a huge breakfast eater, but he does like to munch. For lunch, we'll probably do fruit and cheese mostly. I'm going to see if I can find some gluten-free lunchmeat or balogna or something once we are there. Dinner is cooked to order and I've already talked to the chef who understands gluten-free. We are also traveling with a friend who speaks fluent spanish, so that will help alot! I'm trying to sample some breakfast bars and snack things now to see if there's anything like that we can take along.

Hello,

We are vacation in the Caribbean in a few weeks and need just a few take a long travel items for it. I am looking for lunch type foodsfor 7yr old that are shelf stable that will make the suitcase trip .

I am taking a loaf frozen Udi's and Pb and J and some snack items. But is there any boxed items similar to Hormel microwavables that are out there. We don't do a lot of these type foods so I am at a loss. I have a kitchen when I get there but all the foods are brought in from Europe and have no idea of safety . We have a breakfast plan( It's a buffet so I am concerned) and dinners will be fine as all meals are cooked to order. I am at a loss for lunches. I can and will make her a sandwich everyday if necessary (it's vacation so I am not pressuring the healthy eating for a week) :)'

Also does anyone know of gluten-free foods from Europe I can ask about in particular. We are going to Bonaire and everything is imported from Netherlands etc... The resort will put a order in for select foods but I have no idea what to ask for? I would like her to have some options for the following.

Breakfast waffles & muffins, Desserts ,

Thanks.

Mizzo Enthusiast

We are planning a trip to Cancun in May, so I'm thinking through the same type of things.

Many canned baked beans are gluten-free. Progresso has some soups that are gluten-free. Amy's has a boxed Mac & cheese. Dinty Moore has some stews that are gluten-free.

My mom thought of maybe checking a disposable cooler for some items. I don't think we'll need it, but it's not a bad idea.

I would be VERY careful about the buffet. You have no idea what's in somethings and what spoons have touched what. That's a scary one, but hopefully, it will work out.

Here's what we are going to do. My son drinks Ensure breakfast drink in the mornings (we are supplimenting his diet to help him gain weight and he loves it), so I'm taking enough of those to cover 2 a day. I will probably take some gluten-free cereals, like fruity pebbles or chex as well. He's not a huge breakfast eater, but he does like to munch. For lunch, we'll probably do fruit and cheese mostly. I'm going to see if I can find some gluten-free lunchmeat or balogna or something once we are there. Dinner is cooked to order and I've already talked to the chef who understands gluten-free. We are also traveling with a friend who speaks fluent spanish, so that will help alot! I'm trying to sample some breakfast bars and snack things now to see if there's anything like that we can take along.

My girl does not like any progresso soups or baked beans. She 's also against stews as well. not easy.

I am packing Amy's mac and chse, a box of cereal and snack bars along with the bread and pb and j. I will get yogurt , cheese and fruit and I think I will be ok. It stinks to have to pack food for vacayion. This is our first plane trip since diagnosis and I a overwhelmed with the packing. We are bring dive gear as well as food and have to pay by the bag and have a weight limit on the small propeller plane we are taking to the island. We have 2 plane transfers and a 2 1/2 hour layover with our luggage during lunch time. This will be will an experience to remember.

mamaw Community Regular

Go_picnic has things sorta like lunchables that are shelf stable & boxed.canned tuna, chicken, protein bars,jerky, nutrella,boxed mac& cheese,,,,rice cakes popcorn, rice bowls. Trader Joe's has rice bowls for $.99 very cheap & tasty our kids love them....raisins,dried beef, granola are things that come to mind....

Have a wondrful trip...

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Thai Kitchen makes some rice noodle meals that are gluten free. I have not tried them because they all have either soy or mushrooms and I can't have either but they are small and light weight. Would be good for packing in a suitcase (better than a heavy can of soup in that reguard). I always see them in the Asian foods section of my regular grocery. Open Original Shared Link

T.H. Community Regular

Be prepared for the possibility of losing any food you bring with you, as well.

A friend of ours who was going to south america for a trip packed a bunch of food with her - she has gluten issues and a number of allergies - and all her food was confiscated at customs. :( She had to get everything local, but with no research ahead of time, she ended up getting sick.

Might be worth while to look up a few phrases in the languages of the countries you'll be in, that might help you find food, or find local markets, etc...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Takala Enthusiast

If you will have a microwave and a clean ceramic bowl or small individual sized baking ramekin, you can make all sorts of things in that. All you would have to do to get a fresh gluten free breakfast muffin or gluten free "bread" bun, is to pack up some pre measured ziplocks of the dry ingredients, and then add water and/or an egg, some oil and lemon juice or pure non grain vinegar, and microwave it right in the little bowl.

I think these types of recipe would also work with pre mixed gluten free flours, if you had a favorite one. I've also tried an eggless version that didn't even have xanthan gum, and it worked like a charm, using buckwheat, potato starch, and chickpea (garbanzo) powder, which also works to make a pancake or flatbread.

I would think most groceries have pure non contaminated vegetable or olive oils or coconut oil for the fat (you could also use butter). Eggs could be used, or you could pack dry powdered egg whites, which are very lightweight. I don't know about finding gluten free pure wine or apple cider or rice vinegar, which is why I suggested lemon juice to activate the leavening, you just need something that is acidic.

See this thread and scroll down to the Bun in a Bowl recipe:

and this thread here, the buckwheat pan - flatcake, which also can be done as a bun- in- a - cup in a microwave

P.S. Recipes can be made kid - friendly by adding a bit more of sweetener. Pancakes or a micro- "muffin" with sliced banana, or gluten-free choc chips, for instance, are nice for breakfast and very filling. One of these with cream cheese is really good, too.

NateJ Contributor

OMG! Fruity pebbles are gluten free? You just made my life! I had no idea.

I'm going to the store right now to by some.

bbuster Explorer

I have posted several times extolling the virtues of Zone Perfect bars. This is not going to be a hot luch, but they are portable, nutritious, and tasty. I like these so much better than a granola-type bar because they have so much protein - 15 grams - so they are filling. My son eats them all the time. I frequently will have one in lieu of breakfast or lunch when I am travelling or even too busy to pack a lunch for work.

Just be aware that some flavors are gluten-free and some are not.

NateJ Contributor

do the zone bars that are gluten free say so? I found that brand at Target but couldn't figure out if they were glutten free or not. I didn't see any indication on the packages that said they were.

Archived