This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Another Challenge For Love2Travel!

Marc49

Marc49 Explorer

Since you are into experimenting so much, here is another request.

Do you think there is any way to make a sandwich wrap,.....like a flour tortilla, that isn't the texture of calfskin (brown rice), or overpowers the flavor of the meat in the sandwich (corn)?

I am not talking about using them for Mexican dishes. I am fine with the hard shelled items for that.

We are talking about a sandwich wrap that is pliable and doesn't take over the taste. I bet you love people like me! B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

iamsarar Rookie

I know what you mean! I found a yummy wrap that I use for sandwich wraps it is La Tortilla Factory their Sonoma wrap. It says gluten free right on the front of the package. My husband who does not need to stay away from gluten loves them too!

love2travel Mentor

Actually, I DO love people like you! :P As I've said too often now cooking is one of my passions and I love to field questions about it. Hmmm...calfskin. There's a fun thought! :lol: Now pig skin on the other hand...I'm all over that. Cracklings, oh my!

To be honest I have not even tried bought gluten-free tortillas (have never seen any but then I live in a small town with a limited number of gluten-free things) so I don't even know how to compare them to homemade. I have two recipes I'm working on - one's a little heavy for my liking (with quinoa and psyllium husk) and the other is pretty good but not fabulous. Let me play around a bit more and then I'll post. Is that ok? I'm not quite satisfied enough yet... ;)

iamsarar, where on earth do you find these products? Man, we have almost nothing here! :huh: If your gluten husband likes them that is a good sign.

iamsarar Rookie

Actually, I DO love people like you! :P As I've said too often now cooking is one of my passions and I love to field questions about it. Hmmm...calfskin. There's a fun thought! :lol: Now pig skin on the other hand...I'm all over that. Cracklings, oh my!

To be honest I have not even tried bought gluten-free tortillas (have never seen any but then I live in a small town with a limited number of gluten-free things) so I don't even know how to compare them to homemade. I have two recipes I'm working on - one's a little heavy for my liking (with quinoa and psyllium husk) and the other is pretty good but not fabulous. Let me play around a bit more and then I'll post. Is that ok? I'm not quite satisfied enough yet... ;)

iamsarar, where on earth do you find these products? Man, we have almost nothing here! :huh: If your gluten husband likes them that is a good sign.

I found the at Albertson. If you go to the website it will give you a list of stores that sell them. We are having them tonight! Tuna wraps and Soup. So yum :rolleyes:

freeatlast Collaborator

I know what you mean! I found a yummy wrap that I use for sandwich wraps it is La Tortilla Factory their Sonoma wrap. It says gluten free right on the front of the package. My husband who does not need to stay away from gluten loves them too!

What section of the grocery do you find this in? Sounds good.

mamaw Community Regular

sandwich petals are wonderful & come in three flavors. even my gluten eaters love these.

another is Maria & ricardo's gfwraps. also excellent.

iamsarar Rookie

What section of the grocery do you find this in? Sounds good.

They were in the Gluten free section on the store.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

I found the at Albertson. If you go to the website it will give you a list of stores that sell them. We are having them tonight! Tuna wraps and Soup. So yum :rolleyes:

We don't have any stores like that around here (or TJ's or Whole Foods as I live in Alberta). Sigh...

Marilyn R Community Regular

Can you buy chick pea flour and rice flour?

Mix one C. chick pea flour with 1/4 cup rice flour, 1 tsp salt and 1 cup water until smooth. Add 1 cup grated zucchini, or carrot or onion and/or some minced sweet or hot pepper (or mixture of any of those) and 1/2 - 1 tsp cumin seed. (You may want to avoid the cumin seed since you don't want an overpowering flavor from the bread, but I love it and it's a great source of iron and tastes good.

Heat a non-stick griddle on medium high. Let it get hot. (I heat the griddle while I'm still fiddling around with the batter.)

Dump 1/3 cup of your batter on the griddle and with the back of a soup spoon, push the center portion out to the edges to make a 6" or 8" round flat bread. Cook for about 1-2 minutes, peeking underneath to make sure that you have a nice brown bread on the bottom. Take 1/2 tsp of oil of your choice and drizzle around the top of your flatbread, then quickly turn it over. Using a non-stick spatula, press down on the bread while it cooks. Let it brown for a minute, and flip again for about 30 -60 seconds per side. Repeat with the rest of the dough. I have a flat top stove and find that by the 3rd bread, I need to reduce the heat to medium.

I make this every week in one version or another, and freeze the left overs. My neighbors are wild about it (if I let them have it!)

The only thing is that it is best when heated up for wraps when you can cook it in a convection or regular oven right before you eat it. I have had it microwaved and rolled up, it is pretty good. I haven't tried it in a thermos yet (mine isn't big enough) or with a heat pack vs. an ice pack in my lunch. So i didn't meet your criteria, but maybe I gave you something to work on? :o

It really is good, easy bread. I love it, and so has anyone who has tasted it.

I had some today with chopped shrimp and chopped romaine, shredded carrot and balsamic dressing. It's also wonderful with hummus or soup or cheese (I can't have it, but BF loves it like that.)

We've had it as fish wraps too.

I'm not sure this fits with your challenge, but I guarantee if you try it, you'll like it. :D

ciavyn Contributor

Mix one C. chick pea flour with 1/4 cup rice flour, 1 tsp salt and 1 cup water until smooth. Add 1 cup grated zucchini, or carrot or onion and/or some minced sweet or hot pepper (or mixture of any of those) and 1/2 - 1 tsp cumin seed. (You may want to avoid the cumin seed since you don't want an overpowering flavor from the bread, but I love it and it's a great source of iron and tastes good.

Heat a non-stick griddle on medium high. Let it get hot. (I heat the griddle while I'm still fiddling around with the batter.)

Dump 1/3 cup of your batter on the griddle and with the back of a soup spoon, push the center portion out to the edges to make a 6" or 8" round flat bread. Cook for about 1-2 minutes, peeking underneath to make sure that you have a nice brown bread on the bottom. Take 1/2 tsp of oil of your choice and drizzle around the top of your flatbread, then quickly turn it over. Using a non-stick spatula, press down on the bread while it cooks. Let it brown for a minute, and flip again for about 30 -60 seconds per side. Repeat with the rest of the dough. I have a flat top stove and find that by the 3rd bread, I need to reduce the heat to medium.

I make this every week in one version or another, and freeze the left overs. My neighbors are wild about it (if I let them have it!)

The only thing is that it is best when heated up for wraps when you can cook it in a convection or regular oven right before you eat it. I have had it microwaved and rolled up, it is pretty good. I haven't tried it in a thermos yet (mine isn't big enough) or with a heat pack vs. an ice pack in my lunch. So i didn't meet your criteria, but maybe I gave you something to work on? :o

I had some today with chopped shrimp and chopped romaine, shredded carrot and balsamic dressing. It's also wonderful with hummus or soup or cheese (I can't have it, but BF loves it like that.)

I'm not sure this fits with your challenge, but I guarantee if you try it, you'll like it. :D

Marilyn: Do you have to use chickpea flour? I'm wondering if another flour -- like millet or amaranth might work. I don't recall seeing chickpea flour in any of the stores around here.

sa1937 Community Regular

Marilyn: Do you have to use chickpea flour? I'm wondering if another flour -- like millet or amaranth might work. I don't recall seeing chickpea flour in any of the stores around here.

It might be called garbanzo bean flour.

love2travel Mentor

It might be called garbanzo bean flour.

That's what it is called where I get my flours. Another suggestion - garfava flour is even better IMHO - a blend of garbanzo and fava.

ciavyn Contributor

No, I'm wondering if you could use a different flour all together. We don't have many bean flour sources around here, and they are a bit pricey when you do find them. I have teff and amaranth at home. So I was wondering if you've ever subbed or not. :)

sa1937 Community Regular

That's what it is called where I get my flours. Another suggestion - garfava flour is even better IMHO - a blend of garbanzo and fava.

I have garfava...but don't think I've opened it yet. So many flours, so many choices. lol

love2travel Mentor

I have garfava...but don't think I've opened it yet. So many flours, so many choices. lol

I know! It's crazy (and crazy expensive). :P

etta694 Explorer

I am wanting to know that too... hard to get many flours here too, especially bean flours. :(

I'm a newbie cooker. Is there a thread that talks about flours and their textures after baking?

love2travel Mentor

No, I'm wondering if you could use a different flour all together. We don't have many bean flour sources around here, and they are a bit pricey when you do find them. I have teff and amaranth at home. So I was wondering if you've ever subbed or not. :)

You could certainly sub amaranth or sorghum (probably even millet) but just know the flavour profile will be vastly different. As far as flavour goes, it is difficult to substitute anything for chickpea flour (it's more of a middle east flavour) but other flours would work for similar texture for this type of recipe (slightly different story in yeast breads, etc.). So, go for it! :)

Marc49 Explorer

Just let me know when you come up with something. This would be the real 'life-saver' for me. If I could find an edible wrap, I really wouldn't even care about sandwich bread to be honest.

Can't remember the brand I bought, but they were large brown rice tortillas. I even steamed the lousy things and they were still like eating parchment paper,.....thick parchment papare at that. Those things I just threw out, as I didn't want to make any wild animals sick!

I tried the Mission corn ones, but they broke apart badly. Even if they didn't, they would ruin the taste of a sandwich.

I made a roast beef/cheese with lettuce and tomato.

The whole thing tasted like corn. Blah!

I make Mexican a lot, but I simply have switched to the hard taco shells of blue corn, or tostada shells.

For that purpose the corn is fine obviously.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Thank You! I was just looking for a use for chickpea flour. I bought mine at an international market and it was really cheap (I want to say around a $1 for a 2 lb bag of it, but I'm not sure). I will be trying this recipe this week for sure. I've got Corned beef int eh slow cooker today and I'm going to try makign wraps with the leftovers. I had planned on using rice paper wrappers and making Irish egg rolls but these sound good too.

To the OP, this is not really in answer to your question but I wrap up just about everything in rice paper wrappers. They are very thin though and not like a tortilla wrap. However just about everything tastes good cold in them IMO. So they are handy for making up some rolls to take with you. I find them in the Asian food store and the only ingredients are rice and water OR rice, tapioca and water. You can make egg rolls by baking them or deep frying if you have a fryer (I have not had good luck fryign them in a pan of oil, they fell apart on me).

Marc49 Explorer

GlutenFreeManna, that is another idea that I have not tried.

I am familiar with what you are talking about as I used them a few times for spring rolls.

I am only guessing that they might be a bit on the weak side without being fried which defeats the purpose.

Also, I am pretty sure that the Asian market we had went out of business last year. Still worth a try if I can find some. :)

GlutenFreeManna, that is another idea that I have not tried.

I am familiar with what you are talking about as I used them a few times for spring rolls.

I am only guessing that they might be a bit on the weak side without being fried which defeats the purpose.

Also, I am pretty sure that the Asian market we had went out of business last year. Still worth a try if I can find some. :)

They do fall apart easily when you put lots of heavy meat in them but if you put a layer of veggies, some rice or rice noodles and a little meat they don't fall apart as much. I have filled them with everything from leftover taco meat to the traditional spring roll type veggies and taken them with me to eat at the beach cold. The taco meat ones tore a lot more than the veggie ones but were still good tasting and better than a soft corn tortilla. My husband will just put the whole roll in in his mouth at once if I make them small so that is not as much of a problem for him. :lol:

Marilyn R Community Regular

I tried it with amaranth flour and it was abysmal, a total failure. I didn't pursue trying to modify anything, and in fact have never used amaranth flour again. I'm an ok cook, but I don't "get" the science of cooking. The amararnth pancakes seemed soupy (too much liquid?), didn't brown correctly, never cooked in the middle.

I like Handva Flour too, an Indian flour of 60% rice flour, and 10% each of pigeon pea, chickpea and lentil flour. When I use Handva, I use 1 and 1/4 cup Handva Flour and 1 cup water. 2 lbs. costs about $2.00 at an Indian grocery store about 15 miles away from my home.

I use it to bread fish and shellfish as well. And you can make little dumplings from it (who doesn't love little dumplings?)

gluten-free Manna, I haven't tried rice paper wrappers yet, but I'm going to try those very soon. I think you'll like the corned beef wraps! (I cooked our corned beef last night because we have a vegetarian coming to visit for a few days, but we have left overs!) She can have hummus on her flat bread, I'll have corned beef and ... hmmm...coleslaw? Grilled onion?

I have a link with a U Tube video showing how to make this bread. If you'd like the link, just send me a message.

I tried it with amaranth flour and it was abysmal, a total failure. I didn't pursue trying to modify anything, and in fact have never used amaranth flour again. I'm an ok cook, but I don't "get" the science of cooking. The amararnth pancakes seemed soupy (too much liquid?), didn't brown correctly, never cooked in the middle.

I like Handva Flour too, an Indian flour of 60% rice flour, and 10% each of pigeon pea, chickpea and lentil flour. When I use Handva, I use 1 and 1/4 cup Handva Flour and 1 cup water. 2 lbs. costs about $2.00 at an Indian grocery store about 15 miles away from my home.

I use it to bread fish and shellfish as well. And you can make little dumplings from it (who doesn't love little dumplings?)

gluten-free Manna, I haven't tried rice paper wrappers yet, but I'm going to try those very soon. I think you'll like the corned beef wraps! (I cooked our corned beef last night because we have a vegetarian coming to visit for a few days, but we have left overs!) She can have hummus on her flat bread, I'll have corned beef and ... hmmm...coleslaw? Grilled onion?

I have a link with a U Tube video showing how to make this bread. If you'd like the link, just send me a message.

We had our corned beef early too. We had other plans tonight and I didn't want to mess with it today. Unfortunately the corned beef was SO good I didn't have enough leftovers to make wraps. I will still try this recipe though because I really do miss wraps. I used to love the Chicken Fil A Ceasar Chicken Wrap. I still miss it. Speaking of corned beef on flat bread, one of the Early shows on TV today made a pizza with Russian dressing, corned beef, saurkraute and swiss cheese. If I could have cheese I would try it, actually I might try that without cheese sometime on a gluten-free pizza crust.

freeatlast Collaborator

My amanarth and rice flour mix biscuits were delicious, but they didn't cook all the way in the middle either. I thought I'd cut the coconut milk about a quarter of a cup next time and see if that makes a difference.

• 2 weeks later...
Marc49 Explorer

Well can't get the La Tortilla Factory Sonoma wraps around here,.....I looked all over since their website listed Publix and Winn-Dixie.

Still waiting on that refined recipe L2T! B)

Archived