Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VydorScope

How Do You Keep A Teething Baby Gf?

Our Toddler (23 months old) is getting his "2 year molars" and sticks EVERYTHING in his mouth. Stuff like bird seed he finds on he ground in the nieghbors yard, rocks from the street, etc. In fact the only way to get him to not put it in his mouth is to put it on a plate and call it dinner. :lol:

He got gluten some how over the weekend and we are just coming out of it now... but what the heck to blame? We have decided to blame the cup of milk that he umm borrowed from the nieghbor's kid. We decided it must have had crums in it it... but realy, we have no idea where it could have come from. :(

He does not understand verbal commincations yet, sees a langauge tutor once a week, so theres no way to telll him about celiac disease (though we try!).

- Vincent -

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You could try asking his tutor to help you help him understand. However, I don't think that at that age (mine is 26 mo) they can really understand much more than "Bread and pasta give me tummy ache" Even if he does understand that doesn't mean it will stop him from consuming those things. Guess it's like damned if you do and if you don't - until he gets a little older, you'll have to be on him like a hawk. I've been keeping an ice cube try out with safe snacks for my daughter (not special gluten-free products, just like fruits, veggies, etc)

Mom to Kailyn (Gluten Free Toddler after celiac disease diagnosis) and Emma (lactose intolerant)

Hi, I know this has to be frustrating. Not being able to communicate with your child is very difficult. I know at times I feel like I'm always saying NO. My daughter is 3 and after about 9 months or so I think she's starting to relate the physcial aspects of eating foods that make her sick. As your son gets older he might start understanding your explaination before he can even verbalize it. I know that it's not much help now but......

I used to have a recipe for gluten-free teething biscuts that use rice cereal, pureed fruit, oil & ice water. I'll try to see if I can find it if you'd like. I just carried those with us all the time so my daughter could chew! I'm sure she ate lots of other things also. :lol:

Take care!

I know when my boys were teething, they loved sucking on a face cloth that was soaked with water. rolled/twisted up then frozen in the freezer. They carried those things around everywhere chomping down on them...... Maybe this will keep unsafe stuff out of his mouth.....

Good Luck!

Karen

Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy

Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism

endometriosis (at age 20)

spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.

-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown

Guest nini

I used to have a recipe for a teething biscuit made with the baby rice cereal... I wish I could find it...

I used to have a recipe for a teething biscuit made with the baby rice cereal... I wish I could find it...

Thanks, but dont stress to mcuh... he does not like that ceral.

- Vincent -

VydorScope

I talked to a couple of my mommy friends and here's the best we've got.....

MOTRIN! MOTRIN! MOTRIN! (Is that even gluten-free?) If you don't want to drug him... (hahaha).....

When my daughter was a baby and teething we used gluten-free bread. I got the kind that's sweetened with Juice and cut it into strips. Bake it real low, like 200F for a couple of hours till it's dry and crispy. She still likes those, and a good treat to dip in yogurt!

The frozen wash cloth is a good idea, I've done that. What about a baby teether- those kind with water in them? Or a Popsicle (I use sugar free ones, but I'm not sure if they'd be gluten-free.)

Mom to Kailyn (Gluten Free Toddler after celiac disease diagnosis) and Emma (lactose intolerant)

VydorScope

I talked to a couple of my mommy friends and here's the best we've got.....

MOTRIN! MOTRIN! MOTRIN! (Is that even gluten-free?) If you don't want to drug him... (hahaha).....

When my daughter was a baby and teething we used gluten-free bread. I got the kind that's sweetened with Juice and cut it into strips. Bake it real low, like 200F for a couple of hours till it's dry and crispy. She still likes those, and a good treat to dip in yogurt!

The frozen wash cloth is a good idea, I've done that. What about a baby teether- those kind with water in them? Or a Popsicle (I use sugar free ones, but I'm not sure if they'd be gluten-free.)

Yea he gets Motrin... and that hanldes the PAIN, but does does not seem to effect the need to chew as much. Does seem to cut it back some.

Those teethers dont work as well now because the teeth in question are in the WAAAAAAAAAAY back, they are the very last molars, cant realy gett a teeth back there with out choking, he does try though.

- Vincent -

Did anyone ever find the recipe for the gluten free teething biscuits? I would really appreciate the recipe if anyone can locate it!!! :D

Hi, I know this has to be frustrating. Not being able to communicate with your child is very difficult. I know at times I feel like I'm always saying NO. My daughter is 3 and after about 9 months or so I think she's starting to relate the physcial aspects of eating foods that make her sick. As your son gets older he might start understanding your explaination before he can even verbalize it. I know that it's not much help now but......

I used to have a recipe for gluten-free teething biscuts that use rice cereal, pureed fruit, oil & ice water. I'll try to see if I can find it if you'd like. I just carried those with us all the time so my daughter could chew! I'm sure she ate lots of other things also. :lol:

Take care!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>