healinginprogress

Dietitian

Rate this topic

So, when I got the positive blood test results my doctor referred me to a dietitian. When they called me, they said I had to attend a "Celiac Group" and then from there you get an appointment or referral to a dietitian or something like that, not sure I quite understood.

Anyways, the group was at 845 this morning...I had some symptoms yesterday and was very very tired, and didn't want to go sit through 3hrs of stuff I already know.

I've done a fair bit of research, plus, I generally come here if I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to. I also know quite a bit about eating healthy, calories, nutrients, vitamins, etc. because of my background in kinesiology/health/fitness.

I'm not saying I'm a know-it-all, or that I know it all...I'm definitely still learning each and every day, and it is definitely a process. I'm just wondering if I would benefit at all from seeing a dietitian...or I guess asking when the next group is and then possibly getting to see a dietitian? Thoughts, personal experiences?

My doctor suggested it and I declined. I told him I was afraid I'd know more than she does...he probably figures I'm a smart ass. :P If she isn't familiar with celiac, I thought I'd probably be the recipient of ancient info, which was not up-to-date and besides, any questions I've had, I can get answers to right here or by picking up a book or googling a product, which is how I ended up joining this forum.

My doctor suggested it and I declined. I told him I was afraid I'd know more than she does...he probably figures I'm a smart ass. :P If she isn't familiar with celiac, I thought I'd probably be the recipient of ancient info, which was not up-to-date and besides, any questions I've had, I can get answers to right here or by picking up a book or googling a product, which is how I ended up joining this forum.

Ok, good, that's what I thought, too!!! So glad I got some extra rest :) When I went on the Celiac Tour of Planet Organic (health food store) the lady giving it was a member of the celiac association and she was impressed with how much I knew and that was just a week in. I think this forum and googling are pretty fantastic resources :) :) :)

When I went to a dietician, she told me that I pretty much knew everything she was going to tell me anyway, so there wasn't *too* much for us to talk about. That was because of this site. :) She did tell me to eat more protein, but my mama tells me that every day...

But I went, and am going again once more, because it is practically free with my (dad's) insurance, which is running out in May, so I'm getting everything I can done before I get cut off.

Using this site and other reliable resources should be just fine for ya.

I was referred to a dietitian by my doctor and it was no help to me, everything she told me I already knew from this site and other research I have done. I was actually suprised how little she knew but that was just my experience, it may be helpful for others.

By the time I got to a dietician, she told me I knew way more than I did about Celiac... I'd done tons of research on the 'net.

A nutritionist might be something else entirely...

my dietitian gave me sheets she had run off from the internet. Not at all what I was looking for!

my dietitian gave me sheets she had run off from the internet. Not at all what I was looking for!

Hi all who are commenting on this topic:

I have to say that having a nutritionist/dietician who KNOWS A LOT ABOUT CELIAC DISEASEcan be extremely helpful. My doc has one on staff and I can email her (or him, for that matter) to bounce ideas, or to ask questions. I also attend the classes his office provides, including one on Celiac Disease, and since there are many people there, it sort of becomes a "live" forum. Although I don't learn many new things, I always come away feeling a bit more secure in what I'm doing. So, I guess if you try it and don't like it and it doesn't seem helpful, don't go. But you might find it helpful. I'd definitely give it a try. Who knows, you might pass on some of what you have found out which will help others. :rolleyes:

Luddie

I had two Dieticians, one recommended by my first GI (hereafter known as 'clueless unhelpful idiot') and one recommended by my second GI, who knows tons about Celiac Disease, and made sure to pass on a lot of that knowledge to the Dietician...who also had Celiac Disease herself so really knew her stuff.

The first one was sweet, but didn't tell me much more than I knew, and definitely nothing I couldn't have figured out on my own. She basically told me what to avoid (but not as thorough a list as I found here), and what gluten-free foods might taste good (which I could have also found out here, or by trying it on my own). A few on-line resources, and some vitamins to take, which ended up being no good for me because of my allergies, which she didn't help out too much with, as she didn't know about them ahead of time.

My second Dietician had more to offer. She asked in advance for lists of any foods I had trouble with. The GI got permission from me to send her the results of my food allergy tests, so when I got there, she had a diet worked out that would take into account my food allergies AND celiac disease. That was tricky for me to figure out on my own, as I was reacting to a large number of foods, so it was actually of use. She also had a list of every store in town that carried gluten-free goods, and exactly what gluten-free foods they had. She had a huge list of stores that sold gluten-free products on-line. She had basic gluten-free recipes, and places to look for recipes.

And she actually did help me with something. For example, I was having trouble with corn, and she was the one who told me to change my salt, as all iodized salt has corn to stabilize the iodine. I don't know that I would have even thought to look for that for some time if not for her. She had a list of dairy free things to have at first, too, for the first 6 months of the diet so I would heal better. Very nice.

Because of her own food issues, she is very aware of allergies and gluten issues, and works with me to try and find a completely safe, nutritional diet. She hunts down safe supplements. She listens well when I am having food issues, she tries to think of new foods, and find farms that have food that might be safe for me.

However, even with that? I still end up teaching her things every time I go. :)

That said - she seems like a rare breed of dietician. Talking with others in my town, most of the dieticians here do not do this, or know very little about Celiac Disease OR allergies, or tell you almost nothing you couldn't find out on your own with a little effort. So I'd say if you look around and one that your local Celiac group recommends, she/he might be worth your while. But otherwise...meh, might not be worth it.