GlutenFreeManna

Dairy Free/soy Free Muddy Buddies?

Rate this topic

I have been craving something crunchy and chocolatey lately and I want to try to make these: http://www.chex.com/Recipes/RecipeView.aspx?RecipeId=45860&CategoryId=447

The only problem is I'm allergic to dairy and intolerant of soy. I know there is Earth Balance spread that is soy free and dairy free. I also have considered using coconut oil (which is a solid at room temp). I have not had any experience with either one of these however. I use olive oil in pretty much everything when I bake. I'm guessing oil won't work however and it needs to be a solid of some sort that will re-solidify? Has anyone tried to make these or a similiar no-bake cookie recipe with a dairy-free/soy-free sub?

• Upvote 1

I don't see why it wouldn't work with a little coconut oil or you could use a bit of Spectrum Shortening. Maybe add a little cocoa powder to thicken it up a bit.

You could cut the recipe down to 1/4 of what it is, and try making a small batch to test the hypothesis. ;) Reviewers will be standing by. :)

• Upvote 1

I don't see why it wouldn't work with a little coconut oil or you could use a bit of Spectrum Shortening. Maybe add a little cocoa powder to thicken it up a bit.

You could cut the recipe down to 1/4 of what it is, and try making a small batch to test the hypothesis. ;) Reviewers will be standing by. :)

Thanks, I was not aware of Spectrum shortening. I just looked it up and it's nothing but Palm oil it seems. I will have to look for that. I probably won't get around to making this for a few weeks. I'm hoping someone else has already done it and knows what works. I will have to add more sweetner too since I can't use chocolate with dairy in it--I need to use a very dark bakers chocolate that is dairy free and soy free.

We've made this with alternate nut butters and coconut oil. Daughter loved it but I didn't like it at all. Waaaay to sweet for my taste.

• Upvote 2

We've made this with alternate nut butters and coconut oil. Daughter loved it but I didn't like it at all. Waaaay to sweet for my taste.

Thank you! So are you saying I don't need to add any extra sugar if I use dark chocolate instead of semi-sweet chips and coocnut oil instead of butter? I have not had these since childhood but I do remember them being very sweet.

I don't know about this recipe in particular, but I did sub Earth Balance for butter in a chocolate chip cookie mix and they came out great! I'll bet it will work.

• Upvote 2