Lilith

New Member Checking In

Rate this topic

I am a middle aged female who has been lucky to avoid most bumps along the health highway. I have always said and still say that I am never sick

• Upvote 1

I am a middle aged female who has been lucky to avoid most bumps along the health highway. I have always said and still say that I am never sick

Welcome! Your post was very interesting to me. I used to have protein in my urine and many symptoms of cystitis infection without bacteria in my urine. So it is interesting to read about the IgA and the kidneys. I have been gluten free for 5 months and have noticed much improvement. I went gluten free due to dermatiits herpetiformis. But it has improved many things for me and I hope it will for you too.

I hope gluten free eating helps you. It certainly helps to be a good cook. And you certainly have a great attitude about it. My son's allegies cleared up too, it is one of the additional benefits of being gluten free!

Happy gluten free cooking and healing!

Hi Lilith,

Good to have you here! Welcome!

I just have a few suggestions of things we often tell new gluten free eaters around here.

Try to stick with whole foods and avoid processed foods for the first few months. By avoiding processed foods you eliminate lots of cross contamination issues, food additives like perservatives, food colorings, and many common allergens.

FAAN Food Allergy Network

Eight foods account for 90 percent of all food-allergic reactions. They are milk, egg, peanut, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, soy, and wheat.

Some of these allergens may be outgrown, but others, such as peanut and shellfish, will remain lifelong allergies.

Now, celiac is not a food allergy per se, but celiacs often have food intolerances beyond gluten. The top 8 lists are good starting point to find those.

Many of us avoid dairy to start out. Some people don't have a problem with dairy tho and some can add it back to their diet after a few months.

Watch out for anything you ingest, including vitamin pills, meds, coffee, tea etc. Everything needs to be checked for gluten. You can search oh a food name and the word gluten and find info on most foods.

Some people find it helpful to avoid soaps and cosmetics that contain gluten also.

If you share a house with gluten eaters, make sure to keep your peanut butter, mayo and other condiments separate from the gluten eaters. A knife dipped in a jar and then applied to bread then back in the jar equals a contaminated condiment.

Toasters, colanders, wooden bowls, spoons and scratched plastic ware are best replaced. It's hard to get all the gluten off/out of these items.

Check the recipe section for meal ideas or search for breakfast ideas or snack ideas. Lots of them on the board.