This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Recipe For Yeast ,diary, Soy & Potato Free Bread

Japsnoet

Japsnoet Explorer

Does anybody have a gluten-free bread recipe that is yeast free, diary free, soy and potato free and does not make use of any fermenting process or includes vinegar? :unsure:

I’m based in Oz so I don’t have access to any of the USA or Canadian brands so I need to make the bread from scratch. I have just about called every gluten free bakery in Oz and have not been able to find bread that is free of the above. Please help or possibly point me in the right direction :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kabowman Explorer

I have been looking too but so far, they all call for yeast of some type. There are yeast free cookbooks available but I don't have any yet.

Ener-G has a one that you can buy or a mix you can buy - it looks like you can buy online too if it is not available in your area.

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

These two appear potato free too (there is another one but it has corn which I can't have and potato which you can't have).

I also have a mix but can't remember who makes it or if it has potato but these should get you something.

Japsnoet Explorer

Thank you ! :D

specialdiets Newbie
Does anybody have a gluten-free bread recipe that is yeast free, diary free, soy and potato free and does not make use of any fermenting process or includes vinegar? :unsure:

I’m based in Oz so I don’t have access to any of the USA or Canadian brands so I need to make the bread from scratch. I have just about called every gluten free bakery in Oz and have not been able to find bread that is free of the above. Please help or possibly point me in the right direction  :blink:

I have been trying for years to make a bread that is free of yeast, milk and soy. Without yeast the best you can hope for is a type of biscuit, flatbread or quickbread. So far I haven't come close to replicating a normal sandwich like bread at home. Although flatbread serves that purpose well enough.

Here are some biscuit recipes I found:

Cornbread

1/2 cup white rice flour

1/2 cup corn flour

1/2 cup tapioca starch or potato starch

1/2 cup cornmeal

2 teaspoons xanthan gum

2 to 4 tablespoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons honey

1/4 cup oil or butter/margarine melted

1 to 1 1/2 cup of milk or water

(optional:

Add a light sprinkling of sugar to the tops of the bread or muffins

Use 1 cup of canned corn)

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Add oil and honey. Slowly stir in water while mixing. Batter should be thick and moist.

Grease a standard bread loaf pan or muffin pan. Spoon in batter. Bake 350F for 20 to 30 minutes for muffins or 30 to 50 minutes for bread. OR cook until brown and inserted knife comes out clean.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Baking Powder Biscuits

3/4 white rice flour

3/4 brown rice flour

1/2 cup of potato starch or tapioca starch

2 teaspoons xanthan gum

2 to 4 tablespoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup shortening (palm oil), butter, margarine or oil (might make too greasy?)

3/4 cup water or milk

Mix together dry ingredients. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add water al at once. Using a fork, stir until moistened.

Turn dough out onto floured surface. Quickly knead dough gently. Roll dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with biscuit form. Place 1 inch apart on baking sheet. Cook at 350F for 10 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.

To make drop bisuits...Prepare as above except increase water to 1 cup. Do not knead or roll, but spoon onto baking sheet or greased muffin pan.

One thing I've done is make the biscuit recipe, but add enough water until it resembles a pancake batter which is usally fluid and smooth. Then I cook it like pancakes and end up with a sort of flatbread. I freeze them when they are cooled. Later when I want a sandwich I just pop them in the toaster and basically have sandwich bread.

If you find any other recipes consider using tapioca starch, cornstarch, or arrowroot as substitutes for potato.

I hope this gives you some ideas to try.

Sunni

Japsnoet Explorer

Thank you. I will definitely try your recipes. Thank you for sharing them. I found a book today Recipes to the rescue 350 recipes for those with allergies and food intolerances by Jann Bonner, Lindy Kingsmill and Suzanne Morrow and they had 5 bread recipes that are free of gluten , yeast , corn, sugar, eggs, soy, orange, diary , and can be made nut free as well at the book shop in Oz. I have yet to try the recipes. :rolleyes:

Archived