This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New Chapter Vitamin

chili

chili Apprentice

Can someone tell me of a good canadian multivitamin. currently taking new chapter everywoman, but have been experiencing tingling hands and feet again. is there any gluten in these vitamins. I am worried that I am taking steps backwards instead of forward. I am getting discouraged.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chili Apprentice

Okay day 5 of taking new chapter vitamins!! I HAVE BEEN GLUTENED~~ They say gluten free, but I am really paying the price again!! brain fog, irritability, diarreah, fatique you name it I am feeling it!! found another vitamin on the internet...MDR they cater to people with celiac and gluten intolerance. www.mdr.com

with check them out!!

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

Okay day 5 of taking new chapter vitamins!! I HAVE BEEN GLUTENED~~ They say gluten free, but I am really paying the price again!! brain fog, irritability, diarreah, fatique you name it I am feeling it!! found another vitamin on the internet...MDR they cater to people with celiac and gluten intolerance. www.mdr.com

with check them out!!

I take Vitafusion Gummies calcium/vitamin D and vitamin C. They also have a multi vitamin, but I take GNC Ultra Womens active multi vitamin. I know they are all good brand names and they're gluten free. I know vitamins can be tricky. I got glutened on vitamins in the begining, also, but I never had any problems with Vitafusion or these GNC vitamins. Vitafusion is a good company. They don't have any gluten in their facility and they test for gluten. I also heard a lot of good things about Kirkman Labs.

I hope you're feeling better soon! :)

chili Apprentice

Thank you for getting back to me. I used to take ultra mega, but they contain barley grass, does that not affect you? I was afraid to take it because of the barley grass. I found a vitamin called MDR and they are catered to celiac.

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

Thank you for getting back to me. I used to take ultra mega, but they contain barley grass, does that not affect you? I was afraid to take it because of the barley grass. I found a vitamin called MDR and they are catered to celiac.

Do you mean the GNC ultra vitamins have barley grass in them??? I thought they were safe? I even called GNC. I have to call them again. I hate these companies...

chili Apprentice

yes the womens ultra mega vitamins contain barley grass!! did you get a reaction!! I am afraid to take them now!

chili Apprentice

Oh and by the way, I am still feeling crappy!! any suggestions on how to make myself feel better!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

yes the womens ultra mega vitamins contain barley grass!! did you get a reaction!! I am afraid to take them now!

Hi Chili,

I just called GNC a second time. They told me there is no barley grass in GNC Women's Ultra Mega -Active vitamins and there is no chance of cross contamination. They do have gluten in the facility, but it's made on different lines. I know I did really good one these vitamins with the first bottle I bought, but now I'm on a second bottle and I'm having strange symptoms. I think they are just my symptoms of me being hyperthyroid, but I'm starting to wonder. :unsure: I did stop them for a few days to see if I'll feel any better. Plus I'm due to get my celiac panel tomorrow, so I'll know if my antibodies went up, I'll know I'm getting gluten somewhere. I'll keep you posted!

Also, they do have Soybeans in them. I'm wondering if you're reacting to the soy or maybe just something else in them. Can you have any soy? A lot of us have other intolerances like soy, corn and milk. Either way if they didn't make you feel good, I wouldn't try them again.

chili Apprentice

Hi Chili,

I just called GNC a second time. They told me there is no barley grass in GNC Women's Ultra Mega -Active vitamins and there is no chance of cross contamination. They do have gluten in the facility, but it's made on different lines. I know I did really good one these vitamins with the first bottle I bought, but now I'm on a second bottle and I'm having strange symptoms. I think they are just my symptoms of me being hyperthyroid, but I'm starting to wonder. :unsure: I did stop them for a few days to see if I'll feel any better. Plus I'm due to get my celiac panel tomorrow, so I'll know if my antibodies went up, I'll know I'm getting gluten somewhere. I'll keep you posted!

Also, they do have Soybeans in them. I'm wondering if you're reacting to the soy or maybe just something else in them. Can you have any soy? A lot of us have other intolerances like soy, corn and milk. Either way if they didn't make you feel good, I wouldn't try them again.

Hi Lisa,

Well I am from Canada, and the bottle that I had here that was left over from before I had my kids..which did not expire yet. I took them out of my pantry and read the label that said gluten free..anyhow I was so excited, then I started reading the other ingredients, and it said barley grass with a %. anyhow I looked at my pocket dictionary that I got from celiac.ca and Barley grass is a nono... So I then went to GNC, and they guy told me they did contain barley grass, but that it was safe, because it did not form into a wheat...I think that is along the lines of what he said...anyhow, I didn't take them, I did not want to take a chance. sorry for the info..not sure if you are from here or U.S. maybe they are different there.

chili Apprentice

Hey Lisa,

was just on the GNC website...I know I am not crazy, and the guy did tell me that they contain barley grass.. anyhow I am on the website, and reading the ingredients ther is nothing about barley grass....gonna investigate fuurther...

chili Apprentice

what about the hydrloyzed protein chelate in the Chromium?

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

what about the hydrloyzed protein chelate in the Chromium?

Hi Chili,

I know you're not crazy. :) I wonder if the guy you talked to just gave you the wrong information. I did call GNC again today and asked about the Chromium and Boron. They said they are both bonded with rice protein. I did stop taking these for a few days, but I feel no different and I just had my thyroid, celiac and all my vitamin levels checked today. I should have the results in a few days. I really think my symptoms are hyperthyroid. I've felt this way before, so I'm kind of used to it. Unless my gluten symptoms are changing - you never know... But thanks so much for looking into this for me. I'll let you know what my blood work results say. :)

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

HI Chili!

I just wanted to share the good news with you! I just got my Tissue Transglutaminase IgA results back. For the first time in 18 months of being gltuen free they are normal!

18 ----Yayyyy! I'm so happy! :) So, I'm going to start taking the GNC vitamins again. I know if they had any gluten in them, my antibodies would not have gone down at all and might have even went higher.At least I know they're safe. I've gotten glutened by so many other supposedly gluten free vitamins in the past months that I was starting to wonder if I could take any vitamins at all.

Being gluten free is Really hard work! I feel like I should get a metal or something! :D

RebeccaLynn Rookie

Dang. I loved my New Chapter Prenatals, but am now wondering if they are contributing to my serious not-feeling-gooddedness syndrome. I LOVED the idea of a whole food vitamin, but not at the cost of getting glutened. I guess it is good news in the way that I will start saving $70 on a bottle of pills. ;)

chili Apprentice

HI Chili!

I just wanted to share the good news with you! I just got my Tissue Transglutaminase IgA results back. For the first time in 18 months of being gltuen free they are normal!

18 ----Yayyyy! I'm so happy! :) So, I'm going to start taking the GNC vitamins again. I know if they had any gluten in them, my antibodies would not have gone down at all and might have even went higher.At least I know they're safe. I've gotten glutened by so many other supposedly gluten free vitamins in the past months that I was starting to wonder if I could take any vitamins at all.

Being gluten free is Really hard work! I feel like I should get a metal or something! :D

HEy Lisa,

that is awesome news!!!! you should be proud of yourself!!! we all know it is very hard to go gluten free!! not that I miss gluten, I actually prefer the gluten-free bread and pastas..it's the hidden gluten and the cross contamination that stresses me out...my wants to send me for bloodwork to see if anything impoved..I have not gone yet, cause I've been having some cross contamination issues the past couple of months. Now that I feel that i am starting to get back on track I will then go get my blood work.. I swear the bottle of GNC that I had, did have barley grass in it. mind you the bottle was a couple of years old and was expiring the end of this year..maybe they chamged the formula!!! CONGRATS again on your good news...keep your fingers crossed that I can remain contamination free!!!!

chili Apprentice

Dang. I loved my New Chapter Prenatals, but am now wondering if they are contributing to my serious not-feeling-gooddedness syndrome. I LOVED the idea of a whole food vitamin, but not at the cost of getting glutened. I guess it is good news in the way that I will start saving $70 on a bottle of pills. ;)

I am sorry, but I hate new chapter...I felt great the first couple of days, but then it hit me...It took me 6 days to recover from them...there is definately something in there that did not agree with me...I would change if I were you!! apparently centrum materna is gluten free!

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

HEy Lisa,

that is awesome news!!!! you should be proud of yourself!!! we all know it is very hard to go gluten free!! not that I miss gluten, I actually prefer the gluten-free bread and pastas..it's the hidden gluten and the cross contamination that stresses me out...my wants to send me for bloodwork to see if anything impoved..I have not gone yet, cause I've been having some cross contamination issues the past couple of months. Now that I feel that i am starting to get back on track I will then go get my blood work.. I swear the bottle of GNC that I had, did have barley grass in it. mind you the bottle was a couple of years old and was expiring the end of this year..maybe they chamged the formula!!! CONGRATS again on your good news...keep your fingers crossed that I can remain contamination free!!!!

Hi Chili,

Thanks so much! I just almost can't believe it! Oh and believe me I know all about the stress! :blink: I think we all do. It's so nice to have this forum. At least we can share information and can really help each other. I know I couldn't have done it without the help of everyone here. The people here really know what they're talking about and have been so helpful to me. I do believe you about the vitamins. I live in the US, so maybe that is why they are different? Or maybe they just changed their formula? Since I'm doing good on them, I don't want to change anything right now. I don't want to turn into a risk-taker :D ,become too over confident and end up getting glutened. :blink::D

Good Luck with your next blood work! Hopefully your antibodies will be down soon too! :)

Archived