Jungle

gluten-free In Honolulu

Rate this topic

So My husband and I are going to Honolulu for a week! Yeah, except last time we were there it was before gluten was on the radar.

So any suggestions for gluten-free friendly restaurants and tricks I should know. I have only been gluten-free for about a month and although things in my home have settled in to a new pattern that isn't such a big deal I am worried about a week of restaurants.

When I travel the first thing I do is a Google search of the place I am going to like "gluten free Honolulu" Also after checking into the hotel I look for the nearest grocery store and stock up on snacks, drinks, breakfast items. I would also call ahead to the Hotel and let them know about your diet and see if they have any suggestions.

can you get a place with a small kitchenette/micro? There are so many local farmers fairs in Hawaii where you can eat your heart out on local fruit & veggies. Try some star fruit - looks weird but tastes wonderful.

I live in Kona and have to work in Honolulu a few days each month. There are a number of places there that can prepare safe and excellent gluten-free meals with a day or advance warning. 12th Ave Grill in Kaimuki is my favorite. Call chef Kevin Haney and tell him, Same with Town & chef Ed Kenny. Alan Wongs, Roys, Chef Mavro and so on -- These places are not cheap but they are really good. Wish I could afford Mavro's more often -- The restaurants in Halekulani Hotel are excellent too. Even the more touristy place Top of waikiki that revolves will prepare gluten-free meals. Down to Earth Health Food Store has a great buffet as does Whole Foods in Kahala Mall. -- I'm sure I'm forgetting some. You can pick up a lot of fruit etc at the KCC Sat. am farmers market too -- Great place.

Good luck

So My husband and I are going to Honolulu for a week! Yeah, except last time we were there it was before gluten was on the radar.

So any suggestions for gluten-free friendly restaurants and tricks I should know. I have only been gluten-free for about a month and although things in my home have settled in to a new pattern that isn't such a big deal I am worried about a week of restaurants.

Down to Earth Health Food Store has a great buffet as does Whole Foods in Kahala Mall. -- I'm sure I'm forgetting some. You can pick up a lot of fruit etc at the KCC Sat. am farmers market too -- Great place.

Good luck

I second your suggestion of Down to Earth. We visit Maui every few years. We always stop at Down to Earth, because it's so close to the airport. We can stock up there and then drive straight to our condo.

I also recommend getting a condo or hotel with at least a refrigerator. With my 7 food allergy restrictions, I eat peanut butter on gluten free English muffins and fruit for breakfast every morning of my vacation. Then I can eat out or pack allergy free foods from my DTE stash for lunch. We eat dinner out every other night, because we always have leftovers. So we take our leftovers back to our condo and eat those for dinner on our lanai the next night. Eating candlelit leftover dinners under the stars on our lanai is just as romantic as any fancy restaurant for us.