WinterSong

How Important Is It? - Shampoo, Facial Soaps, Ect.

Rate this topic

Hi, I just got diagnosed with Celiac, and my question is -

How important is it to have a gluten free shampoo/conditioner, soaps, facial moisturizers, ect. when it's not something that you put into your body and digest?

Thanks so much!

Opinions on this vary widely. But here is my own take.

Anything that can get into my mouth is a concern.

When I wash my hair in the shower, runoff gets on my face and lips. Traces can then find their way into my mouth.

If I rinse thoroughly after washing, no trace of the soap should remain. Lotions will remain on the hands. When you eat food with your hands instead of a fork or spoon, your hands come into contact with the food.

It isn't a big deal for me since I don't use a lot of beauty products. I'm a guy, and a lost cause in the beauty department. :o

While gluten can not pass through intact skin it can pass through mucous membranes. There are some places where a gluten swab or suppository is used either rectally or orally and then the area is biopsied to check for the antibodies instead of the months long gluten challenge that is used here. Since we need to stop the antibody reaction it is IMHO a good idea to avoid gluten in any skin or hair care products. There are a lot of safe choices out there both organic and off the regular store shelves. There are companies that will label well in easy to read ingredients, Garneir, Suave, Dove, Giovanni and Shikai are a few examples.