goodnews

What Symptoms Did You See In Your Little One?

Rate this topic

Hello everyone! I am in the process of testing for celiac and the more I think about my daughter, the more I wonder about her symptoms. I wanted to know some of the symptoms that you noted in your children that lead you to think of possible celiac. My daughter is 3 1/2. She LOVES carbs....noodles and crackers are her favorite things ever. I have to tell her no often and give her other things. She has been constipated since she started eating solids (not sure if it was when I introduced gluten or not...it seems so long ago, lol). A new symptom is she has had diarrhea (just once a day mostly) for about 8 days this month. Also, her bowel mvmts are at times very pale in color and sometimes have fatty acids floating in on top. She has never had a big appetite, but it has decreased and she just looks tired a lot and doesn't have as much energy. She is very petite. She is sleeping a little more than usual too. And she sometimes says her tummy doesn't feel good. she can have some very irritable moments, but those haven't been too bad lately. So...those are my concerns. I was kind of wanting to wait until my genetic testing comes back in a week or so before I brought it up with her doctor. They already saw some questionable things in a biopsy I had that suggested celiac, but my blood test was negative so this is the route they are going with me.

So what symptoms did your kids have?

My daughter was chronically constipated, irritable, short attention span, constantly hungry, constantly tired, exhaustion, dark cirlces/bags under eyes. She was never underweight nor short. HTH.

My daughter was chronically constipated, irritable, short attention span, constantly hungry, constantly tired, exhaustion, dark cirlces/bags under eyes. She was never underweight nor short. HTH.

Thanks, that is helpful. It is interesting how different everyone can be. My daughter generally often hungry for snacks...just eats frequently and smaller amounts. But this past week hasn't really been as hungry much.

My youngest son started complaining of random daily tummy aches and "puke burps" last June. Sometimes he would just lay around on the couch and other times he would go off and play. I also noticed on a few occasions fat floating in the toilet. He also developed an irrational obsession with his velcro and strings on his shoes. Every day was a battle if they were not "so so" and even then he would throw major temper tantums over it. He was 5 1/2 at the time and it went far beyond a normal kid fixation. He had his positive ttg in Nov. last year and thats when I put him gluten free (he had negative testing after I was diagnosed). At is 6 yr check up in Feb. the new NP noted that he gained quite a bit of weight (he is still skinny minny). At age 5 he was at the 10th percentile on weight and 50th in height. At 6 she stated he had come up to the 50th in weight too. Hmm... He had bad reflux as a baby and could not tolerate eating, or me eating, any dairy, oats, rice, or tree nuts. He also had issues with chronic rhinosinusitis starting at 2 months old. Eliminating so many foods from my diet, in hindsight, is what eventually lead me to find out I had celiac. So I wonder if he has always had a gluten sensitivity since a baby and it took until he was 5 1/2 to show up on blood work. He rarely if ever complains of tummy aches or reflux any more and the irrational fixation with the velcro straps and shoe strings has ceased to exist, YEAH! He will still have an occasional temper tantrum, but I can directly relate those when he has had a bad case of strep and not gluten.

My daughter was diagnosed "probable" celiac at 17 months. She exclusively breast fed and her BMs would sometimes have a green cast of the more liquid part and stringy blobs of more of the "fatty" part. This was explained as the description of "over milk production" of the feeding mother. Her first attempt at rice cereal mixed into Breast milk caused severe constipation. Doctors weren"t concerned. Told me to switch to barley cereal that the rice was too binding. Gave her some of the barley cereal and her belly bloated instantly. Brought her into the office and tried to explain how radically her belly distended. They told me babies have bellies. She started vomitting and having severe explosive "D". Honestly I did the research and had to ask to have her tested. Experimented with the gluten-free diet because the wait was so long to be reffered to ped. gastro. She had a major improvement. She was put on a gluten challenge, and ended up being hospitalized for dehydration from the "D" and vommiting. She was too sick to have the scope, blood test results came in elevated, and then she genetic tested (positive for DQ2 and DQ8).

At 17 months the gluten free diet was started and things were great until she was 5.

She starting having symptoms like she was getting gluten from somewhere. Now she was old enough to talk. "D", vommiting, headaches,tired, dark circles under her eyes, and she was complaining that "her whole stomach hurt". She would circle from just under her ribs to just above her hips. The vommiting was getting worse and worse. "Puke burps" and vomitting an entire meal 5 minutes after eating. She went in for the endoscopy with biosy and was diagnosed with Eosinophilic Esophagitus. She has more food "triggers" to avoid but she is doing pretty good and she is 8 now.

My son was just diagnosed a few months ago. His main complaint was joint pain, but he did have occassional belly pains. He also wasn't growing. He'd gone from 75% height and 25% weight to 15% height and 3% weight in about a year and had gained no weight in about a year. We are pretty sure his celiac disease was triggered last year during Kindergarten because he was severely bullied. Chris did also have floaty bm, but wasn't ever really constipated or loose.

Since you are being tested, I would go ahead and have your daughter tested. It won't hurt and then you'd know.

Hello everyone! I am in the process of testing for celiac and the more I think about my daughter, the more I wonder about her symptoms. I wanted to know some of the symptoms that you noted in your children that lead you to think of possible celiac. My daughter is 3 1/2. She LOVES carbs....noodles and crackers are her favorite things ever. I have to tell her no often and give her other things. She has been constipated since she started eating solids (not sure if it was when I introduced gluten or not...it seems so long ago, lol). A new symptom is she has had diarrhea (just once a day mostly) for about 8 days this month. Also, her bowel mvmts are at times very pale in color and sometimes have fatty acids floating in on top. She has never had a big appetite, but it has decreased and she just looks tired a lot and doesn't have as much energy. She is very petite. She is sleeping a little more than usual too. And she sometimes says her tummy doesn't feel good. she can have some very irritable moments, but those haven't been too bad lately. So...those are my concerns. I was kind of wanting to wait until my genetic testing comes back in a week or so before I brought it up with her doctor. They already saw some questionable things in a biopsy I had that suggested celiac, but my blood test was negative so this is the route they are going with me.

So what symptoms did your kids have?