zus888

Strawberry Cupcakes

Rate this topic

I just made this - in cupcake form:

http://www.cakemixdoctor.com/recipe/fresh-strawberry-cake-with-strawberry-cream-cheese-frosting/

I used Betty Crocker yellow cake mix, and added 2oz of cream cheese to the cake recipe. Holy AMAZING cupcakes!!! They are pretty much perfect!!!

I used my traditional vanilla icing, instead of her frosting and they were divine!! I'm interested in seeing if there's any change in taste or texture tomorrow when I'll be eating them for dessert as a replacement for the birthday cake everyone else will be having.

My non-GFD hubby ate two and thought they were delicious and I'm certain he couldn't tell they were gluten-free. Heck, I couldn't tell they were gluten-free! And I've only been doing this for 10 days, so my taste buds are still very familiar with their gluten-free counterpart.

Anyway, thought you all would want to know. Happy baking!!

Now just to get some of the other flours to find a way to make this from scratch... B)

that looks YUMMMM.. and you adding cream cheese to the cake is a genius idea! i wonder if it would taste okay if i skipped the gelatin?? i dont like the idea of gelatin at all...

ya- im gonna have to make this :P

that looks YUMMMM.. and you adding cream cheese to the cake is a genius idea! i wonder if it would taste okay if i skipped the gelatin?? i dont like the idea of gelatin at all...

I wasn't fond of the idea of the gelatin either, but all the gluten-free strawberry cake recipes call for it. I figured, it must be necessary somehow.

I have made 2 of her recipes and now am ordering her book from Amazon. I have given up on the from scratch recipes after a year, as they just are not as good as the premixes in the store.

The gelatin helps with the structure of the cake. May I ask what about gelatin bothers you?

For me, I just prefer to have a "from scratch" item, so, really, I prefer no cake mixes or gelatin. But, this turned out really good.

So, they sat at room temperature for about 24 hours. They were AWESOME out of the oven. Very cake-like. Today, the texture has turned a tad more dense and muffin-like. Still very tasty, but not quite the same texture as they had out of the oven. They sink a bit on cooling and, I think, sink a bit more as time passes. I froze most of them. According to one of the recipes (not this one), they should keep in the fridge for a few days (maybe a week), on the counter for 24 hours, and in the freezer for a month. I have them wrapped tightly in the freezer. So, we'll have to see how they turn out after defrosting.

So, there's your review! Hope it helps!!

The gelatin helps with the structure of the cake. May I ask what about gelatin bothers you?

isnt it ground up animal bones?? i'll eat salmon bones... but regular animal bones bothers me- i dont even know WHAT animals they are... i dont eat pig.. and i would be scared of mad cow if they used cow bones

would the cake come out that bad without the gelatin?? i know it would probably help give it the structure that gluten normally would- but ive had some really really good gluten-free cake mixes- i recently tried the mix that uses a lot of chestnut flour- and it's DELISH

It comes from the collagen inside animal bones and connective tissues. So yes, if you have an issue with eating animal parts, you probably wouldn't want to ingest gelatin. Obviously, it affects those with a religious bent about eating animals, as well. But I don't have any of that personally, so I'll be trying out this recipe -- thanks!!

Made this cake last night. It turned out great. I used the BC yellow cake mix and put in 2 oz of cream cheese to the batter(I started doing this in Dec. and it helps increase the moisture) and it turned out great. My husband loved it!

I suspect the strawberry gelatin adds both flavor and color to the cake. I haven't made a strawberry cake since the 60's. And it also called for the gelatin.

I've never tried adding cream cheese to a cake mix...have to try that sometime. I have had excellent results baking gluten-free mixes the first day but they definitely tend to dry out by the second day. Occasionally recipes also call for instant pudding, which I guess would also add moisture to the finished product.

Today is the day I absolutely need to place an order to get this cookbook...but I need to add something to it to get free shipping.

Here's a recipe for Lemon Lover's Cupcakes that has turned out exceptionally well for me using a BC yellow cake mix

http://www.bettycroc...eb-e0f4cb9c588e

Oh! I'll have to try that too!

These were still fine after 24 hours. Just turned a little more dense like a muffin, but the moisture was still there. I'll have to wait and see how they are after defrosting from the freezer.