Gardening

If You Get Glutened Friday Night, You Feel The Effects ________

Rate this topic

You feel the effects when? Friday night? Saturday morning? Later?

Both my daughters are gluten sensitive/celiac, and I've been off gluten for 6 months - very strict - to see if it would help my fibromyalgia. It didn't seem to help. I tried something with gluten a week ago as a test, and didn't see any effects. So Friday night, my husband and I went out to dinner and I didn't bother with staying gluten-free. I seemed fine on Saturday. We had a late Saturday dinner (gluten-free)and I immediately had some stomach discomfort. Intestinal pain overnight and then some cramping/loose stool on Sunday around noon.

So... could it have been a delayed gluten exposure? Or did I eat something bad Saturday night?

I'm mostly curious, though, to hear your experiences. I sometimes struggle with tracking down the source of x-contamination/accidental gluten exposure for one of my daughters who seems highly sensitive.

Sounds like a delayed reaction to me. Everyone's different but reactions can be delayed up to 3 days. I usually get my neuro symptoms right away (headaches, blurred vision, naseaua, balance issues, brain fog, etc, etc) but my digestive symtpoms are more subtle--I have C for a two-three days followed by several days of D. It takes me a good week to 10 days to fully recoved from a glutening if it's a bad one. The last one I had really bad was from eating pasta that was supposed to be gluten-free but was not (restaurant brought me the wrong stuff).

I hope you feel better soon!

• Upvote 1

Could be. For me it often varies, sometimes I wouldn't feel the full effects of a Friday night glutening until Sunday morning. My gluten reactions always wait until morning, for some reason.

• Upvote 1

Me too...delayed reaction. I will think I got away with eating gluten free in a restaurant then the next day I feel slightly off or tired and the next day I have a full on migraine, nausea, diarrhea, and depression with muscle aches and pains. Lasts 3 more days to a week before I start feeling normal.

• Upvote 1

could be either, I'd say. Only way to tell is if you try it again, I imagine. Maybe you could have the same foods, even.

For me, I get neuro symptoms within about 20 minutes, at the latest. My father reacts with gut issues the next day or the day after.

• Upvote 1

I also get neuro symptoms within 24 hours but the gut reaction can take up to 3 days for me. I will have gas and stomach pain for a day or two before the D hits. Intolerance reactions are often delayed.

• Upvote 1

I haven't been able to pinpoint it anymore. I used to be able to say "20 minutes", but lately I've been getting hit w/ sudden D out of the blue, and I know the last thing I ate was gluten free (such as a salad).

I've decided to be a little more pro-active about it and keep a food diary for a month or so, document what I ate and when, on one page and how I (and my tummy) feel on the opposite page. By following the pattern, I just might find out that I'm reacting to something I ate a day or two before.

Neuro symptoms within 1-2 hours (usually insomnia) gut symptoms 10-12 hours after the fact. get D if it's been a while since glutened but I echo the 7-10 day recovery window..if I"m unfortunate enough to get glutened again within the 7-10 days I get C instead of D

Stomach pain within 20 min. neurosymptoms soon afterwards and lasting for several days. Gas comes hours after exposure. I was told it was IBS, tested neg. for celiac.

I think you suffered a gluten reaction as well. I think one of the most frustrating things about getting glutened (besides the obvious ickiness!) is the symptoms can manifest differently over time. My personal experience, along with researching others' experiences, that symptoms can go in cycles...you react the same for a while, then all of sudden symptoms change around some. I've wondered why that is...maybe changes in our nutritional profile (deficiency in certain nutrients?), stress level, amount of gluten contamination??? I don't know & I'm not sure how easily anyone could actually test that... ;)

Personally, I usually react immediately - or at least within 30 minutes of being in contact with gluten. Although, I've noticed a few times symptoms don't seem to arise until the next day. When that happens, I'm assuming it's a very, very slight cc. (I'm extremely sensitive - can't eat in restaurants (with a few exceptions, yay PF Changs!!!), gotten sick via air & skin exposure, basically eat everything from scratch & prepared fresh in my kitchen)

Since you have fibro & children with gluten issues along with this recent reaction, I wouldn't advise you to eat gluten again. Of course, I'm not a doctor, just an avid health researcher & gluten "hater". :D (Oh, I'm not really a gluten hater...I just hate what it does to my body.) The experts still don't have a full understanding of this gluten thing - what causes it, all the different manifestations of it - celiac, gluten intolerance, gluten ataxia, etc. I've gotten to be so protective of my health, taking any risk is just not worth it, imho.

So sorry to hear you were sick. I hope you're feeling better now. :)

Warmly,

Faydra

Thank you for all your feedback.

Just to complicate issues ;) My 5 year old woke up with belly pain last night. Felt like she was going to throw up in the morning, then it went away. By 1pm, she had thrown up at a friend's house. Felt naseous the rest of the evening, D at bedtime, and just woke up to throw up again. She's clearly sick.

Now I remember that late last week, when my 3 year old had D for no reason I could trace at all, she was extremely cranky (my husband kept asking me if she had a fever) and complained that her tummy hurt (which she never does when she's having a reaction).

So... I think a bug went around my family.

Also, I'm being tested for Lyme - my practioner thinks that my non-typical fibro isn't fibro at all.

Unfortunately, nothing happens in a vaccum. I plan to stay gluten-free for another week or so, then test again.