Lunabell

What Advice Should I Give My Husband?

Rate this topic

Our youngest daughter was diagnosed with Celiac back in December. Because of that my husband took a long hard look at his lifelong stomach issues and decided to go fully gluten-free two weeks ago. All of his issue have resolved, he looks healthier, and is in a much better mood. I had no idea that some of the problems in our marriage were actually caused by gluten!

So now what should he do? After awhile he will not test positive for Celiac, but I doubt any doctor will convince him to go back to how he was feeling before, just for a test. Should he just live life gluten free, enjoy the change, and just tell his doctor what is going on?

It's totally up to him. If he is committed to staying strictly gluten free without a dr diagnosis then he can do whatever he wants and doesn't need a drs permission. However, if he feels like he can be gluten free and cheat every once in a while he should probably go back on gluten and get tested. For me personally the effects of the gltuen free diet are so life changing that I am not tempted to cheat and I have no need for a dr diagnosis. I have only been tempted to cheat once to test it about a month into the diet. Never again. My symptoms from even a tiny amount of gltuen are too extreme to make it worth cheating and not worth damamging my health againfor testing. However I can totally see where peopel who have mild symptoms might doubt themselves more and want to do testing. My husband feels better when he is gluten free but he is not convinced he needs to do it 100% of the time. I urged him to eat gluten and get tested because his symptoms are not severe at all, but he didn't want to do that. It's his choice and I'm not forcing the issue. I think he feels that by not gettign tested he keeps his options open to eat gluten or not eat gluten. he is still turning down gluteny treats at the office by saying his wife is "highly allergic" and he doesn't want to make me sick. I don't mind him using me as the excuse but I do wish he would just make a firm decision and "own" the diagnosis. So, in short, if your husband believes he has it and is convinced enough to just tell people he has it without worrying about the dr diagnosis tell him to go for it. Otherwise, I would urge him to get tested.

Welcome! If he doesn't want to go back to eating gluten for the testing, at least have his vitamin levels and thyroid function checked.

Yes, gluten can destroy not only our bodies but our relationships.

I'm glad you guys figured it out...you will be much happier and healthier now.