Rate this topic

I was just thinking about this and it got me wondering. I am gluten intolerant. I have alot of mental problems that go away when I stay gluten free. I also get intestinal issues. Anyway, is it possible for a nursing baby to be getting mom's antibodies and thus appear to also be gluten intolerant? My youngest dd was having so many issues. She couldn't eat gluten, dairy, or soy. Well NOW she can eat dairy and soy. I have kept her and myself gluten free so I don't know if now she can handle that. She nurses much less often now, she is nearly done. Whenever I eat gluten she seems to have more issues. I was just thinking maybe its not her that has the problem, maybe its me and I am causing her issues because of mine? Does that make sense?

If I'm understanding your question I would guess no. You either are or aren't gluten intolerant, it's in your DNA. I'm nursing a 10 week old and worry about making him GI if I eat too much OR avoid gluten. I think we are too quick to blame ourselves sometimes. I'll be watching everyone else's replies!

If I'm understanding your question I would guess no. You either are or aren't gluten intolerant, it's in your DNA. I'm nursing a 10 week old and worry about making him GI if I eat too much OR avoid gluten. I think we are too quick to blame ourselves sometimes. I'll be watching everyone else's replies!

I was just thinking that if I gave her the antibodies against gluten in my breast milk, would that make her react like she was gluten intolerant even if she doesn't make the antibodies herself?

If anything, wouldn't that make her NOT gluten intolerant? It's like a riddle :)

depending on when you gave her (cow) dairy or soy, it may not be surprising that she used to have problems but now doesn't. a baby's digestive tract matures slowly, and it's really not uncommon for the more difficult to digest protein in cow dairy to be difficult for young babies to digest. the same is true for soy.

I do not know if anti-gliadin (or anti tissue transglutimase) antibodies cross into milk. Many, MANY other antibodies do (IgA's, M', G's, etc.) and for good purpose. I would suspect (but again, have no studies to back me up) that they would. But that wouldn't mean your daughter is gluten intolerant or not - that's a question of whether or not she produces her own antibodies in reaction to the presence of gliadin.

I haven't tested my theory by giving her gluten. I can't bring myself to do it. I think either she has been off it so long that now she can eat dairy and soy ok, or she can process it better because she is older now (17 months).