JoLynneS

Do I Need To Worry About Tocopherols In My Lipstick?

Rate this topic

I'm recently self diagnosed gluten sensitive. Since going off gluten in November, I've felt MUCH better, except for when I accidentally ingest some. I was doing great until a few weeks ago when I had what I'm assuming was a gluten exposure at a restaurant. Then it happened again 2 weeks after that. OR did it? Could it be the new lipstick I bought about a month ago? It contains Tocopherols.

Would I be THAT sensitive? Or is it more likely I just got food that was contaminated with gluten at the restaurants??

Hi, and welcome.

The Canadian Celiac Association considers tocopherols to be gluten-free in food, regardless of source. They are highly refined. If I don't need to worry about them in my food, you shouldn't need to worry about them in your lipstick.

There is always a risk when you eat at a restaurant. I eat out occasionally, but am selective about the locations.

I'm recently self diagnosed gluten sensitive. Since going off gluten in November, I've felt MUCH better, except for when I accidentally ingest some. I was doing great until a few weeks ago when I had what I'm assuming was a gluten exposure at a restaurant. Then it happened again 2 weeks after that. OR did it? Could it be the new lipstick I bought about a month ago? It contains Tocopherols.

Would I be THAT sensitive? Or is it more likely I just got food that was contaminated with gluten at the restaurants??

I have reacted to tocopherols before--I always check with the company as to the source because not all are sourced from wheat. I find soy is much more common and some are synthetic.

• Upvote 1

I have reacted to tocopherols before--I always check with the company as to the source because not all are sourced from wheat. I find soy is much more common and some are synthetic.

I always check also since in addition to gluten I am also allergic and intolerant to soy.

Thanks. So I guess it's more likely I had some gluten at the restaurants? And I can keep using my lipstick?? LOL - the bigger question!

Thanks. So I guess it's more likely I had some gluten at the restaurants? And I can keep using my lipstick?? LOL - the bigger question!

Call the company and ask what the Vitamin E is derived from. If you tell us the brand then someone else may have checked to see if it is safe already.

• Upvote 1