tomtom009

1 Year Gluten Free

Rate this topic

As I approach my one year Gluten free I wanted to share my story, maybe get some feedback.

It's been a tough battle but I am approaching one year of gluten free! It's been a weird time and I'm as confused as ever. To kinda recap, I'm a 29 year old male with a family history of celiac's...kinda (1 diagnosed person out of about 100 in my fam). My symptom was always just bloating, never ending bloating. Every day for about the last 6 or 7 years. I've never cheated on my gluten-free diet, although I suspect I've been CC'ed dozens of times. The problem is (if you can call it that), I have no reaction other then some minor bloating that just goes away. I eat out a lot but I always mention to the server about my intolerance. My home is bread crumb central, I've traveled over seas and ate out at numerous restaurants who had no clue what gluten even was. I've even had beer splash into my mouth by accident. I haven't had any stomach issues at all other then the bloating which just seems like a constant.

While the bloating has improved since before, it hasn't gone away. If I get really strict and cut out anything processed and stick to the real basics, it also gets better. The only thing that really messes me up is fruit. Can't eat it. No bananas, apples, grapes, oranges, kiwis, nothing. That really bloats me up. Veggies, meat, chicken, fish, rice, milk, all seem okay.

I was never officially diagnosed. the blood work came out negative but I was told it was because I had already been gluten-free for 2+ weeks. While I do feel better, I am still searching for answers. My stomach just sucks at digestion. At least it's kind enough to not give me the big D or any of that stuff. I just pray for the day I can wear a t-shirt without wondering if i'm gonna start bloating up like a pregnant woman at any moment.

Thanks for reading.

It sounds like fructose intolerance.

I read a post on here a few days ago by Mack the Knife saying his girlfriend had it. Do a search here for fructose intolerance and you will find it and a whole bunch of other people who have the same problem in addition to gluten.

There are several fruits that are higher than others and there are good lists if you google fructose intoelrance too. I don't think I have this problem so I haven't ever read enough to be able to give you any more information than that. But it is interesting to note that bloating it the main symptom for some of these people.

To your question- It is Celiac. Now to the question Are you? Well, I would assume that I was if I were you. Because you only have one serious symptom just means you prbably found it before it had the chance to do any more damage. Intolerance and Celiac are no different in terms of the sway a person feels. And even with an intolerance, more symptoms develop as time goes on if you doon't find the offending substance. So if you ARE Celiac, then you may have stopped gluten before the antibodies had a chance to build up to dangerous damaging levels. Consider yourself either or both. And then read up on fructose intolerance. I hope it helps.

Sounds like you are walking the gauntlet regarding gluten what with beer being splashed in your mouth and living in bread crumb central! That was amusing....it never ceases to amaze me how gluten can get us as we all walk this gauntlet of gluten free. :)

It sounds like fructose intolerance.

I read a post on here a few days ago by Mack the Knife saying his girlfriend had it. Do a search here for fructose intolerance and you will find it and a whole bunch of other people who have the same problem in addition to gluten.

There are several fruits that are higher than others and there are good lists if you google fructose intoelrance too. I don't think I have this problem so I haven't ever read enough to be able to give you any more information than that. But it is interesting to note that bloating it the main symptom for some of these people.

To your question- It is Celiac. Now to the question Are you? Well, I would assume that I was if I were you. Because you only have one serious symptom just means you prbably found it before it had the chance to do any more damage. Intolerance and Celiac are no different in terms of the sway a person feels. And even with an intolerance, more symptoms develop as time goes on if you doon't find the offending substance. So if you ARE Celiac, then you may have stopped gluten before the antibodies had a chance to build up to dangerous damaging levels. Consider yourself either or both. And then read up on fructose intolerance. I hope it helps.

Sounds like you are walking the gauntlet regarding gluten what with beer being splashed in your mouth and living in bread crumb central! That was amusing....it never ceases to amaze me how gluten can get us as we all walk this gauntlet of gluten free. :)

thanks for the reply! i will definitively look into the fructose thing.