Rate this topic

Hi... Did you notice a difference in how your little one sleeps when on or off gluten?? She seems to have nightmares when she's had gluten even though she is only 18 months old. She wakes up crying out or whimpering in her sleep.

Before my little girl went gluten-free, she was awake and crying often. After I found out that she had Celiac, I assumed that she was crying from pain in her little GI tract. It would make sense though, that she may have bad dreams because she's not feeling well, and she's not feeling well due to the gluten.

Hi, I am new here. My son is 7 and was diagnosed a few weeks ago. he has had terrible insomnia for over a year now, and I am really hoping that being gluten free will soon start to help this as well! he has alot of nightmares too, which I think the constant stomach pain contributed to. i dont have an answer for you, but at least you know you aren't alone! :)

My DD is 2.5 years old.

On gluten she takes forever to get to sleep. She is irrational, can't calm down, very distressed. She will wake up multiple times in the night and take a long time to get back to sleep. Lots of crying no matter what we do.

Off gluten she takes a few minutes to get to sleep. Sleeps all night. Wakes up happy.

Oh heck yeah.

On gluten, my daughter has a terrible time falling asleep. She has huge panic/anxiety attacks, she sleeps lightly and keeps waking up in the middle of the night and crying for me, being scared of the dark and such. She actually doesn't have nightmares - she says she doesn't remember her dreams at all when she has gluten, only when she doesn't. And she always wakes up with dark circles under her eyes, like she's waking from a drugged sleep, and is exhausted.

She's 12 now, only diagnosed last year. She has been this way for most of her life, and to have it got away when she's off gluten has been such a surprise. I just thought she was a poor sleeper - me too! But we both went gluten free, and we both sleep tremendously better. It's really amazing.

I look back at my daughter's sleep, and when she was around 1-2 years old, she developed night-terrors that were horrendous. When I look at pictures, she started getting those dark circles under her eyes right around that time, too, so I really, really wonder if that was the start of her gluten issues, you know?

My daughter is now gluten free and doing so much better. She used to wake up throughout the night and now goes all night. She seems so much more peaceful and now that you mention it she's been going to sleep so much easier too.