This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Is The Worst That Can Happen?

katiekay

katiekay Explorer

Hi... this is an idiotic sounding post.

What is the worst that can happen if you have celiacs and don't go gluten-free.

I am new to the whole celiacs thing. I suspect that my husband, myself, and my 18 mo. old have celiacs. I know for her it means failure to thrive etc. Horrible stuff for her. For myself I will have no problem going gluten-free even if it's just to support my daughter and husband. My husband, on the other hand, not sure about...

He has decided to get a blood test but even if he gets a positive not sure he will be that strict. We don't have severe reactions like some people I've read about. Stomach troubles, rash, joint pain, trouble concentrating... stuff like that... So if he doesn't go strict at the age of 44 is it a big deal? I mean could he die from it or is it that he just wont ever feel that comfortable health wise??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Those who don't notice any symptoms from celiac disease have it harder than those who do, because they don't see any benefit in doing the diet. Their problem is they have no idea what damage they are doing to their body, while the people with the symptoms KNOW that gluten is harming them. But the lack of symptoms does not mean that damage is not being done. There are people who have bad completely flattened villi with no or very few symptoms. For some the first they know that gluten is a problem is they develop diabetes, or rheumatoid arthritis or lymphoma, or colon cancer :unsure: So yes, if you test positive you can do yourself tremendous harm by continuing to eat gluten. But it is always the individual's decision whether he or she wishes to take that risk.

rosetapper23 Explorer

There are definitely many bad things that could happen, and once the damage is done, sometimes it can't be reversed...even with a gluten-free diet. I wasn't diagnosed until I was 47, and I still am unable to absorb Vitamin K and poorly absorb Vitamins D and B6 even though I take megadoses of both. Also, if I accidentally ingest gluten, I end up deficient in one or more nutrients, which causes my life to become a living Hell. For example, I had to receive iron intravenously for years (very inconvenient and time consuming), and last year both of my feet fractured from having "floppy tendon syndrome" from deficiencies in zinc, manganese, and silicon. Both of these conditions were caused by eating only a slight amount of gluten accidentally. From my reading, if neurological problems result from eating gluten, those conditions usually don't reverse themselves even on a gluten-free diet. Your husband would be taking a huge chance if he has celiac and chooses not to eaten gluten free.

etta694 Explorer

I have been doing as much reading as I can (because I'm trying to start a support group) and I found this article and remembered your post.

It underlines what has already been said and is very good reading...

https://www.celiac.com/articles/22237/1/Better-Education-for-Celiac-and-Gluten-Sensitive-Patients/Page1.html

cassP Contributor

I am new to the whole celiacs thing. I suspect that my husband, myself, and my 18 mo. old have celiacs. I know for her it means failure to thrive etc. Horrible stuff for her. For myself I will have no problem going gluten-free even if it's just to support my daughter and husband. My husband, on the other hand, not sure about...

He has decided to get a blood test but even if he gets a positive not sure he will be that strict. We don't have severe reactions like some people I've read about. Stomach troubles, rash, joint pain, trouble concentrating... stuff like that... So if he doesn't go strict at the age of 44 is it a big deal? I mean could he die from it or is it that he just wont ever feel that comfortable health wise??

there are so many things that can go wrong in your body if you continue to eat gluten, and they dont even ever have to manifest in your gut... speaking from my family's relationship to gluten-> you could lose your mind, or your thyroid, or develop heart disease, have miscarriages, or develop fertility issues.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

From my reading, if neurological problems result from eating gluten, those conditions usually don't reverse themselves even on a gluten-free diet.

Stomach troubles, rash, joint pain, trouble concentrating are hardly asymptomatic. And the trouble concentrating is a sign of brain impact. Actually neuro issues can reverse, at least to some extent. It does take a very long time though. I went from not even being able to read or walk without falling, and having extreme memory issues and issues with mood and difficulty with speech to being almost totally normal. Walk without canes, can read and remember well enough to finally finish college with high honors and no problems with speech but it took literally years.

Your husband would be playing with fire not doing the diet or only doing it sporatically. Read some of the signatures of those who went a long time not diagnosed, including my own. The most dire result of course is an early death for a celiac associated cancer.

cahill Collaborator

I am among those that the digestive symptoms are "manageable ? :blink: " the D and or C , upset stomach,abdominal pain, cramping,rashes (DH) were/are all so normal for me that I can "manage" them,,,,,( that in its self is a sad statement )

It is the neurological symptoms that have made my life a living H**L. The ringing in my ears,dizziness,mental confusion , brain fog,vertigo ,walking into walls, unable to walk with out falling down ,hand tremors ,and on and on... :(

Yes , he could die from it.

Malnutrition,Vitamin and mineral deficiencies, cancer ,gluten ataxia just to mention a few compilations.

I wish for you and your family much health and clear answers ( HUGS)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

katiekay Explorer

THANK YOU guys so much for your responses. WOW!!! I didn't realize all of that. I can't believe some of the additional symptoms that you guys mentioned that sound like me. I have been diagnosed with ADD a couple times and I think now it's celiacs... in addition struggle with depression and can't figure out why and depression medications never worked. It's always like a little fog of saddness.

katiekay Explorer

I have been doing as much reading as I can (because I'm trying to start a support group) and I found this article and remembered your post.

It underlines what has already been said and is very good reading...

https://www.celiac.com/articles/22237/1/Better-Education-for-Celiac-and-Gluten-Sensitive-Patients/Page1.html

Hi... I just wanted to say thank you so much for the article. It has made me realize that even if I get a negative blood test I am going gluten free. I was gluten-free for one week and didn't realize what a difference it was making for me. Now I feel awful... I really think I have celiacs. Stomach troubles, headache, itchy skin, and didn't think about this until just now but I am back to feeling soooo tired again. I think without your article I might even have decided to cheat every once in awhile. Thank you very much. I'm going to try and buy the book and video that is referenced also.

love2travel Mentor

As a silent celiac the odd time I am tempted to just eat that such and such I am so badly craving BUT would never give in to that anyway because I know what goes on inside me. My husband and I leave in 5 weeks for Italy and Croatia and part of me thinks, "To heck with it. I'll probably have CC issues in Croatia anyway..." But my logical side says a big fat resounding "NO"! My dad died of bone cancer and my step dad has just been dealing with colon cancer so that is enough to scare me. I don't want to take any chances and could not bear the thought of leaving my precious husband and family behind.

killernj13 Enthusiast

One word - CANCER

katiekay Explorer

cancer... that did not sink in until you wrote it as one word... oiks... i wish there weren't so many false blood tests.

Archived