uruguaya1193

Anyone Living In Brazil?

Rate this topic

Hi,

I'm from Uruguay but I'm living in Sao Paulo, Brazil and was recently diagnosed with Celiac disease. I know that in Brazil they are kind of lenient with what can be labeled gluten free and I have already gotten sick a few times from things that turned out to be "mostly gluten free." Do any of you live in Brazil and if so do you have any tips for me?

I used to live in Brazil, but I lived on a farm in the interior of the state of Sao Paulo; therefore, I didn't have any opportunity to eat foods that came out of a box, bag, jar, or can. Even though you live in the city, you can still buy fresh produce, meats, nuts, dairy, and gluten-free grains. When a person is first diagnosed with celiac, it's common to go out and try to find gluten-free processed foods to replace the ones you loved to eat. However, it can be very dangerous to eat ANYTHING that is processed that doesn't say "gluten free" on it. That applies no matter where you live. I believe that the best advice that can be given to a newly diagnosed celiac is to eat only natural foods until you start feeling healed. At that point, if you research products well by calling the companies directly, you can start adding in gluten-free processed foods. However, contamination will always be a possibility.