notme!

Charcoal Grill

Rate this topic

ok, the husband has the giant bbq grill - you know the one with the smoker box on the side - and we loooove to smoke meat, chicken, fish etc. also we use the same grill to cook burgers and toast buns, etc. the grates are cast iron, so i can scrub and reseason them in the oven, no problem. my question is: is there gluten inside the GRILL ITSELF? can it get into food from there? we bought another 'bullet' smoker that works pretty good and we have kept gluten-free. he also bought me a little tabletop grill just for my food, so it's not a matter of necessity. we just have a huge weekend-long cookout/campout on memorial day weekend and i would love to not have to drag 3 grills to the river......

whaddaya think?

can the inside be cleaned? does it NEED to be? can we get the big grill hot enough to destroy gluten? promised the hub i would ask the experts. :)

oh, and: happy spring, y'all!! (somebody probly should tell the weatherman lol...)

Prior discussions here have come to the conclusion that heat can destroy gluten under extreme conditions. You would need to bring the temperature to 600oF and keep it there for 30 minutes.

Oh, and be aware that most pre-formed charcoal briquettes have wheat in the binder.

Oh, and be aware that most pre-formed charcoal briquettes have wheat in the binder.

The stuff is everywhere! That's an easy thing to fix at least, just use lump charcoal.

DAHHHHHH!!!!!! (fmr! backwards! on my head! in the mud!!!!!!)

that is unacceptable :)

seriously, i would have NEVER thought of that. EVER. in a million years. are there any that do not contain wheat that you know of or recommend? i wonder if a charcoal briquette gets to be 600 degrees........? do they list ingredients i bet they don't :(

Thank god you mentioned the charcoal that would explain why i feel horrible after grilling .This web site is a the best .Does anyone now of any charcoal that does not use wheat as a binder.I would hate to switch over to a propane grill.Thanks

Use plain lump charcoal instead of the briquettes. It is pure. The briquettes come from grinding and molding with a binder so they look nice.

thank you, thank you, thank you!! ha - i guess i give up on the big grill and i'll be happy to scrub the bullet and the tabletop. both are non-porous and i can reseason the grates. husband says they sell lump charcoal at lowe's :) "you are really Princess Difficult, aren't you?" ;) yup, that's me. (i love That Guy - shhh don't tell him)

Are you freakin kidding me? :angry::huh::blink::o

Do you know how much grilling we do --even in winter?? AARRGGHH!!

I am so GLAD I saw this post....can I swear now? sonuva.....

(and as for "Princess difficult" that is an awesome nickname.... LOL LOL LOL LOL)

I just told hubby we need a new weber kettle and new charcoal....you should see his face..... :P I was lobbying for a new one anyway...

WOW!! thanks for asking this question and thanks, Peter for answering....

another hidden source!!...geesh..this is like walking through landmines...kevlar vests for everyone!!!

Happy spring back at ya!!

Use plain lump charcoal instead of the briquettes. It is pure. The briquettes come from grinding and molding with a binder so they look nice.

So, should I use regular charcoal with lighter fluid? I have been using matchlight and store brand instand light charcoal with what seems like no problem. What should I be using?

Apparently, Kingsford used to have wheat and corn as binders but went to just corn starch. This post is from 2008... (whew! that's what WE use)

So, should I use regular charcoal with lighter fluid? I have been using matchlight and store brand instand light charcoal with what seems like no problem. What should I be using?

I use a cheap chimney starter. Just squirt a bit of vegetable oil (any kind) on some crumpled up newspaper (or cardboard, or paper bags, etc), stuff 'em in the bottom, fill it with charcoal, and light the paper. 12 minutes later it'll be glowing red coals all the way up and you dump it and you're ready to rock. Just don't overdo the oil or it'll smoke like crazy. The $15 chimneys seem to last a summer and a half, one of these days I'll splurge on a stainless steel one that'll last 10.

Prior discussions here have come to the conclusion that heat can destroy gluten under extreme conditions. You would need to bring the temperature to 600oF and keep it there for 30 minutes.

This explains SO much! Thank you for pointing that out. I have been gluten free for over a year now and did not know that. Twice in the past year I have grilled on a grill using those instant charcoal things and BOTH times I was violently throwing up after the meal. We were so careful to use foil on the grill and our own safe grill tools and no gluten was used anywhere and yet I got sick. This makes so much sense to me now. It was the smoke! The first time it happened was in the summer and I blamed either too much sun or an iffy sunscreen I couldn't find up-to-date info on. The second time was in the winter and I blamed the cold and thought I was getting the flu or something. But now it makes so much sense. My reaction was the same both tiems and both tiems I stood near the grill as it smoked my meat with a nice layer of gluten-laced charcoal! Argh! My DH will be so happy we can once again grill out safely with this bit of knowledge. :)

Apparently, Kingsford used to have wheat and corn as binders but went to just corn starch. This post is from 2008... (whew! that's what WE use)

I saw some similar info but was dated 2007 . . . I just sent an email off to the company to verify it was still valid. I'll let you know what I hear.

I saw some similar info but was dated 2007 . . . I just sent an email off to the company to verify it was still valid. I'll let you know what I hear.

Thanks, Janet! :)

. . . I just sent an email off to the company to verify it was still valid. I'll let you know what I hear.

Recieved today from Consumer Services:

Dear ******,

Thank you for contacting us about your Kingsford Regular Charcoal. We always appreciate hearing from our consumers.

Our charcoal is gluten free. We use charred wood and a corn starch binder for our charcoal.

Again, thank you for contacting us.

Recieved today from Consumer Services:

Dear ******,

Thank you for contacting us about your Kingsford Regular Charcoal. We always appreciate hearing from our consumers.

Our charcoal is gluten free. We use charred wood and a corn starch binder for our charcoal.

Again, thank you for contacting us.

Thank you for taking the time to find that out. Good to know the Kingsford is safe. One less thing to worry about. :)

that is good to know....Thanks, Janet!