Rate this topic

Hi Everyone,

I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy on Wednesday.

For about 2 weeks I've had red blood marbled in my stool. However, for the past two days, my stool has been black & really constipated. At first I thought "internal hemorrhoid"? but now I'm downright scared. :(

Can anyone relate? Could black stool be from Iron in my multivitamin? Dairy? The abrupt change to a gluten free diet (about 3 & 1/2 weeks now)??

By the way, I'm a non-smoker, in my early 40's, normal weight. I don't know if cancer runs in my family.

Any thoughts are really appreciated. Thank you!

All Best,

Pondy

Hi Everyone,

For about 2 weeks I've had red blood marbled in my stool. However, for the past two days, my stool has been black & really constipated. At first I thought "internal hemorrhoid"? but now I'm downright scared. :(

Can anyone relate? Could black stool be from Iron in my multivitamin? Dairy? The abrupt change to a gluten free diet (about 3 & 1/2 weeks now)??

By the way, I'm a non-smoker, in my early 40's, normal weight. I don't know if cancer runs in my family.

Any thoughts are really appreciated. Thank you!

All Best,

Pondy

I can relate, I am seeing a gastroenterologists the middle of April and I am pretty sure the first thing they will do is scope me.

I am having bloody stool.This is something that has happened when I consume soy so I havent been to concerned until lately.Recently I have been having some "troubles" and the doc did an CT SCAN of my abdomen and saw some kind of inflammation in my intestines ,,, amazing what they can see with those things :blink: Now I am more than a bit concerned.

I know when I take Iron supplements my stool gets black, so maybe your Iron supplement??Is the iron supplement a new addition ?? Are you still consuming soy ??

I am glad to hear your having a scope done. I put mine off way to long :mellow:

Hi Everyone,

For about 2 weeks I've had red blood marbled in my stool. However, for the past two days, my stool has been black & really constipated. At first I thought "internal hemorrhoid"? but now I'm downright scared.

I'm uncertain whether iron supplements can cause black stools, but they can cause constipation. Dairy allergies (or intolerances for the allergy purists) can also cause constipation. If you had diarrhea before going gluten free, you may have not eaten as much fiber as you need for normal stools. So w/o gluten induced diarrhea, you could now have constipation.

Being a non-smoker greatly reduces your chances of colon cancer, especially if you have never smoked. Unlike lung cancer for which your vulnerability decreases after you stop smoking, the colon does not lose its risk of cancer after people stop smoking. However colon cancer and celiac are not strongly correlated.

Thank you for your responses!

I ama former smoker - it's been about 10 years since I quit.

I don't really ingest much soy - if any at all. If I do eat Lara bars or cookies, they're gluten, wheat, soy & dairy free. Other than that, I eat mostly whole foods. I use rice milk in coffee & on cereal.

I started taking multivitamins right after being diagnosed at the end of February, so yes, that's a newer thing for me.

It's just scary & I tend to think the worst. It causes such anxiety for me.

Even though I'm sad for anyone going through similar issues, it sure is comforting to know that I'm not alone... I'm glad we have each other.

Thanks again.

Pondy

It's just scary & I tend to think the worst. It causes such anxiety for me.

Even though I'm sad for anyone going through similar issues, it sure is comforting to know that I'm not alone... I'm glad we have each other.

Thanks again.

Pondy

Tell you a secret,,,,*** I'm scared too*** but dont tell anyone ,,OK ??

I am also glad that we have this forum . Just knowing that others understand were I am makes this a bit more tolerable.

Hang in there Pondy,, we will make it thur ((HUGS))

I'm uncertain whether iron supplements can cause black stools, but they can cause constipation. Dairy allergies (or intolerances for the allergy purists) can also cause constipation. If you had diarrhea before going gluten free, you may have not eaten as much fiber as you need for normal stools. So w/o gluten induced diarrhea, you could now have constipation.

Being a non-smoker greatly reduces your chances of colon cancer, especially if you have never smoked. Unlike lung cancer for which your vulnerability decreases after you stop smoking, the colon does not lose its risk of cancer after people stop smoking. However colon cancer and celiac are not strongly correlated.

You CAN definately get black stool from iron! REALLY Black! My son just had back surgery and the doctor put him on iron pills. OMG...black, black, black! It worried me too, so I call down to Hershey and they said it was normal. Than my hubby tried them and the same thing happened to him!