Rate this topic

I took my daughter to a mother/daughter tea this afternoon. The only think I ate was grapes and apples and had water to drink. 1/2 hour after our meal I began burping...which seems to be my reaction to gluten. could the grapes or apples have been sprayed with something containing gluten to keep them from going brown? I can't seem to figure out how i got glutened...I am new to a gluten intolerance and in my first month of being gluten and diary free.

I took my daughter to a mother/daughter tea this afternoon. The only think I ate was grapes and apples and had water to drink. 1/2 hour after our meal I began burping...which seems to be my reaction to gluten. could the grapes or apples have been sprayed with something containing gluten to keep them from going brown? I can't seem to figure out how i got glutened...I am new to a gluten intolerance and in my first month of being gluten and diary free.

Sometimes our gluten reaction time will vary, which makes it really hard to pin-point the culprit. Certainly apples, grapes and water would not be a gluten issue.

When I have entertained and needed apples from turning, I used a mild lemon juice wash.

Are you familiar with the general concerns: shared toaster, scratched cookware, lotions, lipsticks, meds and vitamins...

If there were a lot of gluteny snacks like crackers, cookies or such they may have been CC'd also. As was mentioned some of us do have delayed reactions so it may have been something that got you from the day before or the day before that.

You mentioned wondering if the grapes or apples could have been sprayed - the apples were sliced, then? Were the grapes?

If they were cut up for the tea, it's likely they were prepared at the same time they were preparing all their gluten goodies for the tea, too. Gluten cc would be pretty darn easy, even without being cut up. Use the same knife, or put the apples/grapes down on the counter where they had just put the sandwiches or little tea cakes, or picked up the cakes and then handled the apples - really, really easy to get gluten cc.

If you eat out, it's usually a good idea to make sure and talk to the servers and/or manager before your food is prepared. They need to use separate pans for your food, to put on clean gloves after they have touched gluten food and before they touch your food, to prepare it away from areas where gluten is in the air and likely to settle onto your food.

It's a pain, but so much better than getting sick, ya know?