Rate this topic

Even though they are free of the 8 most common allergens I tend to react to most of their products..Anyone else?

Even though they are free of the 8 most common allergens I tend to react to most of their products..Anyone else?

Sorry, I don't know what these foods are. What are they and where can you get them? Do they have a website? I tried Googling and only got a website with a book for a diet.

I haven't heard of these - although, maybe you were thinking of Enjoy Life products? I wondered as those are free of the 8 major allergens, so thought that might be it. :-)

They are independently certified by the GFCO, which means they should test below 10ppm of gluten.

HOWEVER, I could think of a couple things.

1) you could be really sensitive to gluten, to less than the normal allowed amount. If this was the case, I would expect that you'd react to quite a few gluten-free processed products, as well.

2) You could react to something these guys use more of. Is your reaction a definitively gluten one, or could it be something else, possibly?

-If it's a toss up - like stomach rumblies - perhaps you have a fructose malabsorption issue? My daughter has this and often has trouble with Enjoy Life foods, because they use so much fruit juice and dried fruit in their products.

-Xanthan gum is a common issue for people, too. Causes stomach upset, usually.

-If you are allergic to sugar cane, many gluten-free products use less processed sugar cane so it has more of the allergen protein and will make you feel pretty crummy (yeah, that one was me, grrr.).

3) Do you know if you react to gluten-free oats? Some small percentage of Celiacs react to gluten-free oats just like wheat, rye, barley, and normal oats. The GFCO allows gluten-free oats, so their certified facilities can have oats in there without the cross-contamination practices that they have for regular 'gluten.' However, I don't know that I've seen any Enjoy Life foods with gluten-free oats in them, so I think this would be a small risk, really. Just mentioning it in case. :-)

If you mean Food For Life, aren't they the ones with the barley water issue in their tortillas??

As for Enjoy Life, I sometimes eat their cereal bars but find them heavy. Eating one feels like eating 5. I pass, unless I'm out of other options. (Bakery on Main cereal bars are awesome!)