norahsmommy

We Were Doing So Great! =(

Rate this topic

My daughter was having perfect daily or every other day bm's for the last couple of months. That was so great after months and months of horrifying constipation, white poop, bloody poop, weird textured poop. We have been so dang careful! My inlaws went gluten free as well, supposedly totally. My FIL thinks he has gluten intolerance so is giving gluten-free lifestyle a try. Anyway they have had a gluten free home (supposedly) for at least a month now and asked to have our daughter stay the weekend. Well we let her go. I normally pack food for her to eat so all they have to do is heat it up, but this time I didn't. They really seemed to have the gluten free thing down. Well my daughter obviously got it somewhere and we have not changed a thing about her diet so I suspect she got some at her grandparents house. I want her to be able to visit them overnight just like her sisters. How do I broach this subject? "Hey can I search your kitchen?" Thats really what I want to do =). I imagine its something simple like them still using their old cast iron to cook in, or the old cutting board, toaster etc. I have mentioned replacing items like that but they kind of made a face so its most likely that. I am really sad for my daughter, she feels awful. She got up 8 times night before yesterday, 5 times last night, and has been crying ALOT for the last few days. She pooped today and it was so hard for her to pass she strained and cried for a half hour. She will be like this for a while yet, I'm sure. It normally takes her at least a week to feel better and about 2 weeks to have good bm's again.

As gently as you can, talk to them about it. Let them know what happened -- all grandparents want to know about their grandchildren's health. And then suggest that they might also be getting glutened in their own home. I'm sure it is accidental. But they should be made aware, so she can stay with them and not worry about getting sick. :)

Poor thing! Just remember, grandparents will do ANYTHING for their grandkids! As long as you don't approach it like- "This is YOUR fault!" you should be ok. Just tell them how sick she got and ask if they can help you figure out what she "got into." Ask if you can come over and all of you review everything she ate and how it was cooked TOGETHER. Make it out like..."I think she might be EXTRA sensitive to something- can you help me figure out what it might be?" I have found this technique is working with my own parents. My son was recently diagnosed and he will be going to spend the wkd with them for the first time today- so we will see! They too are trying a gluten-free lifestyle, but they haven't made all the changes they need to. They haven't seen a doctor for a diagnosis, they are just trying this based on the fact that myself, my son and my daughter all have tested positive (my son via biopsy, my daughter and I are scheduled for one) so they think it would explain many of their symptoms too. Hope it works for you!