GFreeMO

Shampoo Allergy Need Gluten Free Help

Rate this topic

I am pretty sensitive to chemicals and have allergic reactions to many things. With that being said, I need to find a new shampoo and conditioner. I used Garnier Fructis for 2 years but they recently have changed their formula (still gluten free..I verfied this) but it caused me to break out in hives all over my neck and sores all over my head. I am allergic to Suave and Dove as well. Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking of usinf Johnson's Baby Shampoo but there is no conditioner. There is a no more tangles leave in spray that I suppose I could use in place of the conditioner. I have really long hair and need to find something quick.

Thanks!

I am pretty sensitive to chemicals and have allergic reactions to many things. With that being said, I need to find a new shampoo and conditioner. I used Garnier Fructis for 2 years but they recently have changed their formula (still gluten free..I verfied this) but it caused me to break out in hives all over my neck and sores all over my head. I am allergic to Suave and Dove as well. Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking of usinf Johnson's Baby Shampoo but there is no conditioner. There is a no more tangles leave in spray that I suppose I could use in place of the conditioner. I have really long hair and need to find something quick.

Thanks!

I hear you! I am also chemically sensitive and react to shampoos. Surprisingly, I can tolerate most conditioners as long as they are gluten and coconut free.

I really like these shampoo bars--

https://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/shambar.htm

This is not a gluten-free company, so make sure to read ingredients. ;)

I use the The Olive Babassu Bar--no reactions at all. The ingredients are pretty simple:

Saponified oils of olive, babassu, unrefined shea butter, and castor bean; and filtered rainwater.

It actually lathers very nicely and cleans well. For detangling, they suggest a vinegar rinse (instructions on the site) but that didn't work for my hair. I use either Giovanni or Garnier Conditioner--and since my hair is dry and naturally curly, many days I only "wash" my hair with conditioner. Garnier also makes a deep conditioner called 3 Minute Undo which I tolerate. I use that about once a week or so.

Is Dove Shampoo Gluten free??

Dove shampoo is gluten free. I'm allergic to that one though.

I hear you! I am also chemically sensitive and react to shampoos. Surprisingly, I can tolerate most conditioners as long as they are gluten and coconut free.

I really like these shampoo bars--

https://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/shambar.htm

This is not a gluten-free company, so make sure to read ingredients. ;)

I use the The Olive Babassu Bar--no reactions at all. The ingredients are pretty simple:

Saponified oils of olive, babassu, unrefined shea butter, and castor bean; and filtered rainwater.

It actually lathers very nicely and cleans well. For detangling, they suggest a vinegar rinse (instructions on the site) but that didn't work for my hair. I use either Giovanni or Garnier Conditioner--and since my hair is dry and naturally curly, many days I only "wash" my hair with conditioner. Garnier also makes a deep conditioner called 3 Minute Undo which I tolerate. I use that about once a week or so.

Thanks! I'll check it out! The less ingredients the better. The olive one sounds nice.

I have heard of people making shampoo. I wonder how one would go about doing that.

Thanks! I'll check it out! The less ingredients the better. The olive one sounds nice.

I have heard of people making shampoo. I wonder how one would go about doing that.

A quick Google search will yield lots of ideas such as--

http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-Shampoo/

If there is a liquid soap you are ok with, you should be able to come up with something nice. My problem with that is that I'm allergic to coconut.

Best of luck with it! :)

The L'Oreal EverStrong Sulfate-Free Hydrating shampoo/conditioner is gluten-free. I just verified it with their company last week.

Hope you're able to find something that works for you!

Thanks everyone! Finesse is gluten free and sodium laurel sulfate free (the thing I am allergic to) so i'm going to give that a try.

Hi!

It's so important to discover that because something is gluten-free doesn't make it necessarily healthy to use. Most of the products you mentioned may not contain gluten, but they contain a slew of other harsh and toxic chemicals. Sodium Laureth Sulfate for example is a known carcinogen and is very abrasive to hair. The products I use are 100% natural and organic and over the years have kept my hair vibrant and super healthy. You should check them out! www.morroccomethod.com or you can find them at some boutique beauty or health stores! They are very special products and I am sure you will love them.

Hi!

It's so important to discover that because something is gluten-free doesn't make it necessarily healthy to use. Most of the products you mentioned may not contain gluten, but they contain a slew of other harsh and toxic chemicals. Sodium Laureth Sulfate for example is a known carcinogen and is very abrasive to hair. The products I use are 100% natural and organic and over the years have kept my hair vibrant and super healthy. You should check them out! www.morroccomethod.com or you can find them at some boutique beauty or health stores! They are very special products and I am sure you will love them.

You're absolutely right but keep in mind not everyone can afford the products of that website. It would be good to find some products that aren't carcinogen while still affordable. I know we get what we pay for but what can we do everything good is expensive nowadays. Trying to switch to organic meat eggs and dairy, I can't really afford expensive hair and body products. I just try to avoid too much make-up and look for natural ingredients which isn't easy.

I went to this website: www.aubrey-organics.com

just to check it out. When I entered "gluten free" in their search box several products, including shampoos came up.

I don't know enough, as yet, about what Celiac's need to avoid and everyone seems to have different needs.

Anyway, you might check out Aubrey Organics. I will admit that I think their products are a bit pricey, but I also use a couple of different shampoos alternately, so one that is more expensive is not too bad if you can find another that you can tolerate for a lower price.

Also, their products are availabe at Vitamin Shoppe stores and a variety of websites, so try comparison shopping at Amazon or something, maybe a better price can be found.

I went to this website: www.aubrey-organics.com

just to check it out. When I entered "gluten free" in their search box several products, including shampoos came up.

I don't know enough, as yet, about what Celiac's need to avoid and everyone seems to have different needs.

Anyway, you might check out Aubrey Organics. I will admit that I think their products are a bit pricey, but I also use a couple of different shampoos alternately, so one that is more expensive is not too bad if you can find another that you can tolerate for a lower price.

Also, their products are availabe at Vitamin Shoppe stores and a variety of websites, so try comparison shopping at Amazon or something, maybe a better price can be found.

Great idea. I checked the website...ingredients seem natural but of course I dont know all of them.

We use baking soda to wash and apple cider vinegar to rinse. It works surprisingly well for us.

Btw sls is in most toothpaste, too. We stopped using toothpaste and have all had better checkups than ever at the dentist. Getting the starch and refined sugar out of our diet made all the difference.

Btw sls is in most toothpaste, too. We stopped using toothpaste and have all had better checkups than ever at the dentist. Getting the starch and refined sugar out of our diet made all the difference.

Domesticactivist,

Since I replied to this topic, I learned a lot on SodiumLS...it is soo bad :blink:

I have decided to make changes too. No more regular shampoo and sls for me. I haven't started yet but will be using a natural herb used as soap and shampoo back home.

I already stopped using toothpaste and it is now baking soda and salt instead with a drop of oregano oil sometimes. Don't know if baking soda isn't too harsh on teeth and gum.

Gluten intolerance is making us resourceful people :D

I use Pearatin products. They're gluten, paraben, sulphate free and it lathers as nicely as any salon product.

Thanks!

I know this is an old topic but for anyone considering using baby shampoo...DON'T. The shampoo is specifically designed for the PH balance of a baby's head. I used it back in 2004 and my hair was damaged pretty bad. Luckily my Aunt is a hair dresser and came to my aid with some hardcore conditioning. By all means find a new product but don't use Baby shampoo it's not meant for adult hair.