This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Failure To Thrive / Weight Gain

katiekay

katiekay Explorer

Hi,

18 month old. Failure to thrive. Blood test came back negative which was expected since she had been gluten free and also due to age.

Doctor states to give her 2 weeks to see if gluten free will make a difference.

How much should I expect her to gain and how fast?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Dixiebell Contributor

I, personally don't think two weeks is long enough at all. Most people here recommend a three month trial and then adding gluten back and see if there is a reaction. The weight gain will be different with everyone though. If you take gluten 100% out of her diet you might see some positive results within two weeks.

My son is nine and has been gluten-free for almost a year and just in the past few weeks have I noticed he is starting to grow again. His pants are getting shorter :D

Gracie'sMom Newbie

My little girl was diagnosed with Celiac (and failure to thrive) at 12 months. It took her a couple of months of gluten-freedom in order to gain weight (I think her little intestines needed time to heal before she could gain weight), but within days, she was noticeably different in terms of energy, regular BMs, and sleeping much less-which was good because when she was sick, she slept all of the time.

raeskids Rookie

My little guy wsa failure to thrive as well. We are now at over 2months gluten free post biopsy. He has still not gained any weight. He has more energy, but no weight gain.

He was accidentally exposed to some gluten and it set him back for almost 3weeks. I really don't see how 2weeks can give an adequate picture. My doctors told me to wait for 6 months to see a significant change.

I hope that helps. It is a hard journey when they are so little.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Yeah, two weeks is how long the gluten reaction in the intestines carries on. Once she's been gluten free for two weeks, her intestines can begin to heal. AFTER they have healed, she can start to absorb more nutrients in order to put on weight. But her body has a lot to get through before she starts putting on weight.

katiekay Explorer

Thank u all for writing me. I can't figure out how to explain this to my husband... if she doesn't start gaining weight in two weeks he will insist that I stop worrying about gluten. Also don't know how to keep her safe from "accidental" gluten since my husband will probably be sneaking her some. I wish the tests were better thna they are... like they take the blood add gluten to it and it turns green if u have celiacs... ugh!! I'm so upset!!! And feel so alone...:(

Tell him "The biologic immune reaction in her intestines, if it's gluten, will take two weeks just to stop injuring her intestines. Then, they have to heal so that she can absorb the calories she's putting in her mouth, but right now just pooping back out. That all will take more than two weeks." (Alternatively, you can say "well, I'm doing it for two months, and I would like you to respect that and not undermine this test even if you don't agree.")

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

katiekay Explorer

thank you tarnalberry! Will do :)

katiekay Explorer

UPDATE!!! HOLY CRAP she has already started gaining weight. I am flipping out excited. She went from 20.6 yesterday a.m. to 21.2 this a.m. My husband is making requests for more of the gluten-free baked goods. LIFE IS SO GOOD!! And she is also back to going to potty on her own again. AND last night went the whole night without a potty accident. amazing :) :) :) YAY!!!

Jestgar Rising Star

UPDATE!!! HOLY CRAP she has already started gaining weight. I am flipping out excited. She went from 20.6 yesterday a.m. to 21.2 this a.m. My husband is making requests for more of the gluten-free baked goods. LIFE IS SO GOOD!! And she is also back to going to potty on her own again. AND last night went the whole night without a potty accident. amazing :) :) :) YAY!!!

:) :) :) happy, healthy babies are the best.

YAY!

BrooklynFamily Apprentice

Hooray! Isn't it just amazing?! My son's personality and energy level changed within days of going gluten-free and he gained 1-pound per week for the first four weeks of the new diet. In 9-months of being gluten-free, he has gained over half his body weight, gotten taller, and most importantly HAPPIER. His pediatrician said she'd never seen a kid respond so well to the diet before. We are beyond thrilled. Best wishes to your family.

katiekay Explorer

Thank you guys. I'm very excited!!! :)

Brooklyn family - that is awesome!!!

mushroom Proficient

So glad for you and your wee girl. :D :D

katiekay Explorer

In 5 days she has now gained a little over 1 1/2 pounds!!!

weluvgators Explorer

That sounds fantastic! :D

• 3 months later...
mylittlepeanut Newbie

Hi! My little one is 22 months and is only 20 lbs. We are on week 4 of gluten-free... hasn't gained yet... what may I ask are you feeding your daughter?! Seriously! My lil' one is not really enjoying what I have made so far and I can't just keep feeding her gluten-free cookies : )

Archived