katiekay

Making Own Bread

Rate this topic

Hi all,

We are starting to go gluten free. Should be thoroughly gluten free by tomorrow (shopping today).

If you don't mind please help me figure something out...

I bought the cookbook "You Wont Believe It's Gluten Free"

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/You-Wont-Believe-Its-Gluten-Free/Roben-Ryberg/e/9781569242520

I know when I buy gluten free bread it has to be stored in the freezer and then toasted in order to be edible (and isn't that good). In this cookbook there are recipes for bread, rolls, biscuits etc.

When making bread from scratch does it need to be stored in freezer? Is it actually possible to pack a gluten free sandwich for lunch? This would mean making sandwich rolls one day and the next day use same rolls to make sandwiches to bring into lunch that day?

thanks for your help!!!

Hi all,

We are starting to go gluten free. Should be thoroughly gluten free by tomorrow (shopping today).

If you don't mind please help me figure something out...

I bought the cookbook "You Wont Believe It's Gluten Free"

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/You-Wont-Believe-Its-Gluten-Free/Roben-Ryberg/e/9781569242520

I know when I buy gluten free bread it has to be stored in the freezer and then toasted in order to be edible (and isn't that good). In this cookbook there are recipes for bread, rolls, biscuits etc.

When making bread from scratch does it need to be stored in freezer? Is it actually possible to pack a gluten free sandwich for lunch? This would mean making sandwich rolls one day and the next day use same rolls to make sandwiches to bring into lunch that day?

thanks for your help!!!

My husband makes fantastic gluten-free bread for us and we keep it on the counter....no need to refrigerate. That way we can make sandwiches for lunch if we want without the need to de-frost or refrigerate the bread. I think that seems to be a drawback to store bought gluten-free bread. Our bread lasts for up to 6 days and remains pretty fresh for the first 3 days or so. It's only the last day or two that we might use that batch for toast in the morning.

Play around with it but keep trying because we managed to make delicious gluten-free bread after only 3-4 tries at it. There are so many variations, you won't get bored.

I live alone so find it's best to store my homemade bread in the freezer. I package it in sandwich bags with two slices per package (and they all go into a ZipLoc freezer bag).

Let us know if you find any bread recipes that turn out especially well...I'm always looking for winning bread recipes.

I'd love to make some bread! Is this possible without a breadmaker? Anyone have a good (soy, nut free) recipe?

I'd love to make some bread! Is this possible without a breadmaker? Anyone have a good (soy, nut free) recipe?

Definitely yes! Especially if you have a stand mixer.

Here's a recipe for gluten-free French Bread, which is the first bread I made after I bought my KitchenAid mixer:

http://www.food.com/...ch-bread-180306 It's gotten a lot of good reviews.

One of the best cookbooks I've bought is Gluten-Free Baking Classics by Annalise Roberts. I've had pretty good success with making bread using her recipes.

Thanks Sylvia! That recipe looks easy enough. I'm going to check out that cookbook on Amazon.

It sure would be nice to not have to shell out 6 bucks and drive 80 miles for Udi's.

Hi... Guess I forgot to turn the watch topic button on so I had no idea you guys had responded. I appreciate your advice!! That is awesome that it can stay out on counter with no problem.

I usually store my home-made bread this way: place it in a brown paper bag, and then pop it into a plastic bag with a sealer of some kind and leave it on the counter. The paper absorbs any excess moisture which might start it molding if it sweats against the plastic.